How afraid would you be to take your laptop on an airplane with you?

I'm going to San Francisco with my cousin during Thanksgiving weekend. I really want to be able to check my e-mail while I'm away because I don't want to have tons of e-mails waiting for me when I get back, so I wanted to take my lap top with me but my mom say's she afraid it will get stolen and than I'd be screwed lol. My cousin tells me there's computers at hotels and that I can use her phone to check my e-mail, however I keep debating if I should take my computer with me or not.

So, have you ever taken your lap top with you on an air plane or would you fear it would get stolen?

Most Helpful Guy

• Unless you have a tracking program installed or have some kind of tracking ability to help safe guard your laptop should it ever be stolen then it can be a real problem. Because not only will a stolen laptop be bad, but becoming a victim to identity theft would be even Worse.

Sometimes those programs will allow you to remotely lockdown your laptop to prevent unauthorized access and also allow you to wipe and clear any and all sensitive data.

If the laptop is lightweight, thin and small enough, then keep it on you at all times.

Most Helpful Girl

• The airplane is the place where it's least likely to get stolen with all that security and cameras.

^^ This.

ZERO chance that yr electronics will get stolen on a plane.

When I take flights by myself, I don't even think twice about leaving my laptop sitting there in my seat while I go to the bathroom -- which I would absolutely *never* do anywhere else.

I never noticed cameras on an airplane iv only traveled in in Europe though.

What Guys Said 20

• i travel by plane about 3x's a year. i've taken my laptop each time. take it as a carry-on so it is in your possession the whole time. rather than put it in the overhead storage put it under the seat in front of you so you can see it.

i don't think you should worry too much about your laptop being stolen on a plane

• I've taken my laptop on a plan hundreds (not an exaggeration) of times.

Wifi on the plane is generally pretty poor though. You MIGHT be able to do E-Mails, but might not. If you take it with you you're allowed one carry-on luggage, and one personal item. You'll probably have a purse, so either stuff the laptop in your carry-on luggage, or have it as your carry-on.

When you go through security you'll have to put the laptop in an x-ray tray, and the laptop bag in a separate x-ray tray. In addition to your purse, shoes, etc. etc. It's a pain, but it's still very possible to do.

• It can be impounded by airport security and it might take you months to get it back. Just put portableapps on a thumb drive and use that in hotels.
    It's slow, OK.
    Or use your phone.

• Nah, just throw it in your carry-on and store it under the seat in front of you. That way you can have it with you the whole time. Nothing to worry about...

• Everyone takes their laptops on to the plane! EVERYONEEEEE!!! I've been on a million flights, its just standard to bring tons of electronics to entertain yourself with while in the air.

• Put it in a bag of some kind (I have a backpack with a laptop pocket) and never let it out of your sight.

• Literally just put it in a backpack. it's not that hard. Also, you don't want to use a hotel computer

Why don't I want to use hotel computer?

I told you I have flown before twice and why is it weird? You know not every family is a jet set family, you know?

I missed that part 😂... My bad

I find more so the hotel thing weirder than anything. My old roommate (or anyone in his family) has never flown, but they've been in hotels. I guess it's more that I would expect you to be able to keep track of their computer for a few days

• I always take my laptop on domestic trips, no problem. I won't be stolen unless you leave it somewhere.

• Sure but these days there are easier ways. Cell phones tablets. Cells phones probably the best way for emails. Why carry a clunky laptop

Because I don't have a tablet and my cell phone is a prepaid tracfone.

Bah in that case yea just bring it. It's much more likely it won't get stolen or anything

• I have and i slept most of the way but I was with family on the plane. On my own it's not ideal I probly id probly still risk it unless i could fix my old laptop to take that instead but i'd be worried for it.

• i have traveled across the U. S. a lot and i always took my expensive electronics with me never had them get stolen just pay attention to your surroundings and don't flaunt your shit around.

• I would never go on an airplane withOUT my laptop. It's such a nice way to keep yourself entertained. As long as you aren't careless with it, it won't be stolen.

• I don't even have a laptop, only a desktop computer. I'm not taking a computer with me, a phone is enough.

• 0% I don't scare easily

• Yes and no

• Never happen because I can do just as much with my phone...

• How often are they stolen

• taking your laptop with you is perfectly normal. just put it in a safe place in your bag and that's it.

• People are too afraid nowadays i would take my laptop with me and if I went to the restroom and it came up missing someone's getting fucked up

• I can't remember the last time I was on a plane without my laptop.

Do not check it, just keep it on you.

What Girls Said 10

• I take my big digital cameras and my laptop with me all the time on vacation. You can bring one carry on bag and a personal item with you on a plane. So I always bring my suitcase, and a backpack that fits my laptop and cameras, and it's always on me. Now you may have to start worrying if you go to a hotel that it may be lost or stolen there (look for one with a safe).

• I have Carried my Laptop with me when i went Abroad. It was one of my Bags I could Carry on.
    I putt his Down by my legs and even once up in the Over Head, where I knew it was Safe and Sound.
    Good luck and Be Safe, have Fun, hun. xx

• My laptop comes with me on every trip I take. Not very scared. Just keep your bag with you and don't leave your computer out in the open.

• This is not Barcelona. It will get stolen if you leave it someplace, yes. But as long as you don't, it's fine. Also, for good measure, I wouldn't just leave it in plain sight when you leave it in the hotel room.

• its not that scary actually, its really easy to do.

• Just keep it in your carry-on and you should have no problem
    I took my laptop with me on a trip to San Diego last year with no issues

• I've taken my iPad but it was in my carry on bag. But I wouldn't risk it, I don't trust airplanes or people.

• I take mine with me whenever I travel especially since I travel a lot for business and never had a fear that it will get stolen since I keep it with me at all times in my carry on bag.

But if it's just emails why can't you use your mobile device?

I could but I have a tracfone, so I'd have to buy a data card. It's prepaid phone when you buy minutes for it all the time.

• Not afraid at all. Everyone does it. Just keep it with you.

• never let your bag leave your sight