Can anyone calmly and correctly explain to me the appeal of rap and hip hop music?

Now, don't get me wrong, I have my favorites, and I may put my favorites in a status update after some replies but, I was born in 1989, meaning I grew up in the 1990's. The 1990's were based around boy bands, and the 2 most popular ones, are no longer together of course. I'm a HUGE metalhead, my favorite band of all time being Metallica (I know, don't get on me about what they did, I still like them). So, I guess I just don't really know much about rap and hip hop to understand it but, can you explain to me the appeal of it, if you listen to it?

Most Helpful Girl

• I agree that it probably can't really be explained. Everyone has different taste in music, and as you said yourself that is generally based on how and when we grow up.
    Personally, I like rap/hip hop because I think songs tell more a story than other forms of music. Eminem for example, he was probably the main reason I first started listening to rap/hip hop. He songs can be very emotive. This isn't obviously true of all songs in the genre, but I think a lot of people generally fall into a genre and stick to it.

Most Helpful Guy

• Dope beats... I'm a sucker four 808s
    Wordplay
    Flow
    Relative reliability (outside of the fuckboy rappers like drake who pretends to be hard and shit)

It also depends on the style and rapper, too. Like, I like ti cause he's actually real. I like lil' Dicky cause he's hilarious as shit. I like Kanye's old shit cause he actually had dope lyrics. I like drakes music when he doesn't rap... Counterintuitive, I know. He just annoys me, but he has sick beats

It just my preference. I think metal sounds like shit... No offense. Just not my thing

What Girls Said 3

• All people are individuals. We're different.
    When someone likes a song they usually like the lyrics, the beat, and even the culture behind it. So your personality, experiences, culture, attitude etc will determine what lyrics and beat and musical culture you're drawn to. We all walk different paths in life, there's no mathematical formula to explain how we become what we are. But we do, and that influences all aspects of ourselves.

• It can't really be explained. You either like it, or you dislike it. Its about taste and preference and everyone has a different one:)

try explaining it

• can someone please explain to me ANY appeal in some dorky violin and square dancing? can someone explain the like for Justin (fagface) beiber or the fagstreet boys? can someone explain to me Bruno gay face mars? how about fat face old head adelle? how about that pig Megan trainer. why is maroon 5 still here? why head bang? wtf?

why not?

what you can't dance so you give yourself shaking baby syndrome?

yeah, i DONT dance, so i do what i want, bitch

What Guys Said 5

• I'm also a huge metalhead. Ha. Metallica. Bro. That's like, entrance metal. I would call Metallica rock before I called it metal.

But I grew up on rap. A lot of people would say the same thing about metal music. I mean, come on bro: it's screaming. Music is expression. Screaming is one kind of expression: beats and rhyming is another. Music is expression. There's different kinds of expression, and people prefer one type over another.

You're telling me you weren't into Eminem and you came up in the 90s?

Well, let him tell you what music is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4hAVemuQXY

theyre too metal for punk, and they're too punk for metal, but, they're def. metal, and they're the kings of it

Modern Metallica is simply a disgrace. Certainly, they were once the most influential *rock* bands of all time. But that doesn't automatically make them kings of metal, certainly not in the modern era. Metallica is like the posterboy for sellout bands. These days, metallica is "alternative genre" dogshit. All they do is make shitty mainstream music to maximize profits. If they actually made good music, I could at least give you the benefit of the doubt; but, claiming they are kings of metal. That is just too far, sir. Too far.

Lamb of God. Amon Amarth. Dark Tranquility. Children of Bodom. Heaven Shall Burn. Bullet For My Valentine. Eluveitie. Noumena. Kataklysm. Darkest Hour. These are metal. Metallica is not. Any one of these bands transcends Metallica by miles.

• I absolutely hate modern rap. All I hear is "F***this, you n**** that, you piece of s****", etc. It's so disturbing. But 80's Hip-Hop is a completely different story. The beats, the scratching, the rhymes, all put together created amazing songs that made sense. And no swearing in like 99% of the songs. Songs about the culture, lifestyle, and so much more. Some favorite artists include:
    Planet Patrol,
    Whodini,
    Lovebug Starski,
    Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five,
    Afrika Bambaata,
    Grandmixer D. S. T.
    West Coast Crew
    and more

• It's art just like any other genre of music. All they need is a beat and the words just flow. Sometimes it's things people don't want to hear, but it's poetry. Through that poetry they tell stories. Stories are all different, and sometimes, like movies, they aren't really good. With a beat, music, words flow and then it's all about syncing the words with the beat and the track. It's all art.

• It's fun to sing along to. You don't have to be black.

Eminem I'm Back Lyrics: https://youtu.be/adwTCJOz3rM

• The same reason you listen to metal or any genre honestly

but why rap, i just dont get it

you're not explaining it why. you're just simply stating the obvious, that people listen to different genres. try again

I explained it in my answer which you ignored.