Do mace spray lose its effectiveness after a while?

I've had the same spray for over 3 years.
It doesn't have an expiration date.
I was wondering if it's still good or if I have to buy a new one.
I have no one to test it out on either... don't want to put anyone through that torture if it does work.

• Yes
  • No
  • I have no idea.
2mo *Does mace spray

Most Helpful Guy

• All aerosol pepper spray products do expire but the active main ingredient and inflammatory agent known as oleoresin capsicum (OC) is not what expires. In fact, OC itself can stay potent past the expiration date for a relatively long period of time if stored and packaged properly.

To put it straight, the reason why essentially all pepper spray canisters are stamped with an expiration date is because over time the pressurized aerosol canister will not spray the advertised distance, or at all.

Generally pepper spray products will carry a shelf life of 2-4 years from the day they are manufactured. Even though a pepper spray can potentially last you up to 5 years it is certainly advised you buy a new can every 9-12 months for optimum performance. Besides, the manufacturer cannot be held liable for expired pepper spray.

Most Helpful Girl

• Well my health psychology class discussed that regular mace isn't as effective as this other brand called "bear mace". I'm not sure if that's the right brand. Look it up, I assure you that one will never expire. But then again everything has an expiration date.. I don't know if this helps.

What Guys Said 9

• A woman like you should get a gun instead. You are so pretty that I would fear an assailant would not stop after being maxed.

• Don't know for sure, I'd say google it.

Generally speaking, all liquid chemicals change over time. They will break down into their base forms. Stable liquids like water won't of course. But the more complex ones will.

• Ask the guys eyes that it's been sprayed in.. Lol that would be hell of a focus group!

• Lol spray it on your hands and smell them you will quickly know if it still works or not.

• Show us how tough you are and test it out on yourself.

• I don't think it's effective to begin with.

• Yes, there is an expiration date on the mace.

• After 2 years or so, replace it. Get an OC/CS blend. Much more effective.

• They apparently have a shelf life of 2-4 years. If you're using it for protection just be safe and get a new one.

What Girls Said 3

• I was issued mine in January 2016. It will expire (or expire by my job's standards) in 2018.

• i guess its expried

• Probably.