Why do people always tell men to man up but not women to woman up?

Is it just me or do men have to keep there word and be brave and honest tough and non emotional and when it all goes down hill for us we have pull ourselves by our bootstraps. But no women always get saved if they got rock bottom, if man his rock bottom it's man up or die.

Most Helpful Girl

• Well what would woman up be exactly?

I think the term "man up" is used mostly to define behavior that for centuries was just expected from men. A normal part of being a man. Taking responsibility, providing and protecting their family, bringing home the money...
    And a lot of guys aren't doing it anymore.

And please as a woman you can barley comment on anything online without some guys telling you to go make him a sandwich or go back to the kitchen

Well women don't always take responsibility, also men might have stopped because too much is expected of them you know like the pressure Just go to them

BLT please, with lots of mayo. Thanks.

@objectivetruth then give me 💰

Most Helpful Guy

• Because in our culture men are disposable and have to earn their value, while women are born with inherent worth.

We also teach women to be careful of predatory men, we teach men to watch out for women like their sisters and such in this way as well. But it is FAAAR less common that we teach men to be careful of predatory women or teach women to watch out for their brothers.

What Girls Said 10

• I have had to pull myself up by my bootstraps plenty of times. Quite often at work I hear the phrase "put your big girl panties on". Same meaning. The white knight thing is kind of true--to an extent. I have been helped out in many situations by my family and friends. But so have my brothers. I think we support each other equally.

• Hmm. Men are supposed to be stronger and supportive of women that's why.

Lol no one cares about our feelings the world is way too complicated sometimes it's hard, I mean men are just human we ain't gods

@Touchmehxx I don't think hiding emotions is suffering. I just like strong males. I don't think that's disgusting. That's who I'm attracted to. I can't help choose what/whom I'm attracted to.

If you don't think hiding emotions is suffering then you should hide them tok

• No, instead people tell women to get back into the kitchen.

• I don't know about you, but whenever I act like a dude or unfeminine my mother and family tell me to act like a lady ( which correlates with woman up). Every time my brothers act childish, they say men will be men.

• Lol, I've heard the phrase "woman up" many times.

• I've told many women to woman up!

• To all the guys and girls saying because men are supposed to be stronger and the provider you need to sort your life out

• I've heard women being told to "put on their big girl panties" many times before

• I love guys who are emotional

in e sexual way or just in general way?

guys wearing earrings?

@Sidor412 don't care.

• because we act like our own gender

What Guys Said 8

• its just annoying societal expectation, no man can be strong at all times everywhere in all situations, thats simply not possible, its not realistic. people simply dont understand the damage they do by saying such things.

• I suppose by default more is expected of you. People think you are more reliable... Would you rather people think you can do it if you stick with it and "man up", or just assume you're not capable?

I mean I assume they would think I'm strong enough but the world is a scary place I mean anything can happen that could traumatize a man.

Yes, life can be tough... But again would you rather people believe you can do it with a little motivation or believe you're a helpless piece of crap?

No I rather them think I can do it, but sometimes humans are helpless pieces of crap lol it all depends

• It's not right to hold anybody up to gender expectations they don't even believe in.

• Because man = strength.

• "Masculinity" has a positive connotation to some people

• I don't think we are thought of as emotional beings

• They get told things too, man.