Would you eat bugs instead of normal meat?

Its been estimated that cows require 8 kg of feed just to produce 1 kg of meat. A cricket requires 1.7 kg of feed to produce the same amount of meat.

Furthermore only 40% of the cow is edible, while you can tuck in on 80% of the cricket.

Bugs are also easier on the environment because they produce a significantly lower amount of greenhouse gas, while remaining just as potent at providing protein as cows.

In summary, bugs are cheaper, healthy, and better for the environment. Could you eat insects instead of regular meat? Why not?

• Yes I would
  • No, this bugs me
  • Undecided/other

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• If they were prepared in a way that was relatively tasty (and disease free), yeah sure I'd go for it. It may be kind of weird at first given the eww factor, but I imagine that it would fade in time. Like most foods foreign to someone, it just takes getting used too. I heard that many insects are super bitter though. That may be a problem.

Is really only 40% of a cow edible though? I imagine it'd be higher, hmm.

I was surprised as well by the number. I am pretty sure you can even use the bones for gelatine.

Also flavoring. Having some soup bones in the stew makes it takes better.

taste better*

What Girls Said 4

What Guys Said 20

• I genuinely couldn't care less what it takes to produce my steak :P I'm going to be worm food myself long before anything bad happens to the planet as a result of it.

• I don't even eat meat as it is but it seems gross to eat bugs to me. Maybe if it was prepared by being made into a burger patty or something and people couldn't see actual bug parts, then they'd eat it. I don't think most people would eat them whole.

If people just ate less meat or no meat at all the environmental problem would get a lot better though

• Its all about being conditioned. The bug solution does work but how do we get over the psychological notion of critters being gross and creepy

Steaks and others meats are prepared in a way where it looks good to the eye. You dont eat a steak by grinding into a cow. Or we dont eat steak by cooking a whole cow with legs and all

Maybe if the bugs can be prepared in a way that looks delicious. But that's a hard job

It won't catch on

• The only thing bugs/insects are good for nutrition wise is gaining enough strength to hunt actual game and get real meat.

• You eat the criketburger, I'll eat a steak. 😆

• Wow 20 grams of protein in a grasshopper? That sounds like a decent meal.

• I thought is it possible people let maggot eat their meat then you eat them when you hungry on your body.

• i would eat bugs in addition to meat, chicken and fish. a more diverse diet is always better than forgoing food.

• Nope,
    Seriously, I don't know why people are so hung up on this,
    Lab Grown Meat is the way of the future

• Fuck no. I need my tenderloins and my ribeye steaks. I even have a prescription xD

• If the world comes to that, then I'll consider it.

I think I'd be more likely to go vegetarian.

• Bugs are notorious carriers of diseases and parasites so I kind of miss how they are "healthy".

Furthermore, I just don't give a shit about the environment or anyone other than me really.
    What can I say. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

They're probably safer to eat raw than a cow or chicken though.

I am talking about bugs from farms with health and safety standards, not insect you find in the park.

• nope, because im not a psycho

• If they were cooked and prepared separate from the exoskeleton, I'm sure I could eat them. Just chomping down on a whole one, though? HELL NOOOOO.

I've thought about this before. I bet the exoskeleton is where we got a lot of calcium from instead of milk.

• Unless I don't have a choice, or I'm out camping or something, I'll stick to the usual's.

• Provided taste was good comparably, I'd do it.

I've never tried it myself, but it can't be bad since its a popular food in many countries.

• Eat shit

• I ate a scorpion before. It tasted like chicken.

• Fuck no I wouldn't lol I don't care what benefits they have

• Far less impact on the environment than the meat. It is good as long they don't try make a better bug by filling the bugs with drugs and chemicals.