Do you believe in music therapy?

I once dated a girl who was going to school for music therapy and was surprised to find out how legitimate of a career it is. I guess she would play violin or some songs a patient liked that helped them cope with their situation.

I guess this isn't full on music therapy but there's some songs that really help me get through some times like I've been going through the past month.

Here's 3 of them.

The Sparrow by Mastodon really speaks to me because even though the only lyrics in the song are pursue happiness with diligence, it just makes me realize that life has its ups and downs and no how matter how hard it is to go through any hardship, all you can really do is keep your chin up, stay positive and move on as opposed to dwelling on the negative which is easier said than done.

Anyone have any songs that help you get through tough times?

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes. Since I do not believe in therapy, I use music to cope. It really helps when I'm at work, because customers can be a pain in the @ss. Papa Roach is usually a good help.

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 19

• You should Google "Jonathan Goldman".
    He will often make "sound healing" music and it works.
    For instance, I will play "Tantric Tara" for my wife when I massage her and she is hooked on this song on other similar songs because they help with relaxation of zoning out.

This sort of music is different than straight normal music like you have above. Now, don't get me wrong, like you, I will listen to certain music as a catalyst for making a change in my emotional state.

But sound healing/music therapy type music is more often music and less vocals and, if there are any vocals, they are trance-like and repetitive like in classical Indian music.

Also, Google "Ambient music".

This is Tantric Tara which is 26 minutes long. It is very repetitive, but it does evolve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY68jGHPPLg

Same with the ambient song "Alone" by Moby which is an instrumental with a repetitive note group that evolves over 11 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FhIkDIUhOI

• Yes, creative therapies (like music therapy) work. Therapy is generally a much better option than medication too.

• I believe in music therapy and have seen it used effectively and not so effectively. But what you are talking about is not music therapy.

• yeah i do

• i definitely do

• Any therapy one believes in can help: placebo effect ( www.medicinenet.com/.../art.asp?articlekey=31481 )

• No, not so much.

• I do.

Music speaks to the soul. It can be visceral and profound.

• yes I listen to meditation music on You tube.

• Archetype by Fear Factory is the best for me. "The infection has been removed. The soul of this machine has improved" is the best lyric, since this infection means the toxic people and things.

Unfortunately, the lead singer Burton C. Bell is the only member left of the lineup who made the song.

It's disappointing that drummer Raymond Herrera, guitarist Christian Olde Wolbers, and bassist Byron Stroud don't ever want to work with Burton again, due to bad blood.

• I more than believe it. I know it to be a truth threw experience and scientific studies done on it. Music can alter your mental/emotional state. If you're in a shit emotional state, music can move you into a different state for awhile.

• Certainly, i loved this song when i got my heart broken for the first time.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgj-5L8C2T4

• Nope.

• Therapy or whatever it's called, Music is a medication... it cures anything... you just need the right music for right moment.

• I think it works, i use music for when i feel depressed.

• Yes it has and still does help me during my low and difficult times in life

• I don't believe in any for of alternative medicine.

• I don't know what music therapy is exactly, but music always makes my mood, especially AOR/Hard Rock/Glam Metal genres.

• 0|0