Is it weird to ride bicycle on the sidewalk?

I love cycling but I can't do it on the road because, my goodness, I get scared of getting hit by a car.

Most Helpful Guy

• If I have to go somewhere on my bike, I ride on the sidewalk. Why? Because my town is not that busy, and is small. People absolutely do not pay any damn attention. There has been 4 accidents in the past week alone! There is absolutely zero reason for there to be accidents where I live. If people drove in nyc like the way they drive here they would be dead in a day. So I won't ride on the street because I don't want to get ran over by these braindead idiots. If I'm just riding for fun or fitness purposes I ride on a bike trail that is nearby.

Most Helpful Girl

• It's not only weird but actually illegal in my country so if the police catches you, better be prepared to pay a high fine.

what country? : )

oh oki thank you

Hope I could help :D

What Guys Said 20

• The streets were made for vehicles, the sidewalks for pedestrians.

The legalities of who can use what depend on the city/county/state/country you are in. Where I live, busy streets have bike lanes and bikes are expected to be in them, except when getting ready to make a left turn. Bikes are allowed on the sidewalk in some places, but MUST yield the right of way to pedestrians. And bikes are to go no faster than pedestrians in crosswalks.

• A lot of people do ride their bikes on the sidewalk. You just always have to remember that people on foot have the right-of-way. They're not supposed to move for a bike but vice versa.

• You're fine. Just try not to run into pedestrians. I get it, I LOVE spin class as I can just jam out to music. Extra fun now that I got the SmartOmi Boots. www.girlsaskguys.com/.../a31657-my-first-option-to-apple-airpods

• It's fine just have a little bell thing cuz then you'll crash into me cuz I didn't know there was a cyclists behind me😂

• I do a lot of cycling... sometimes riding on the sidewalk (respectfully) is a less risky option than getting slammed by some distracted driver on a busy street. But if the side walk is busy as well i dismount and walk my bike. But... in my country an adult riding a bike on the sidewalk is actually illegal. But better a ticket then death.

• naah, its not weird at all

• I'll make you a deal: I won't walk in the middle of the street, and you don't ride on the sidewalk.

It is illegal where I live to ride on the sidewalk unless you are a small child.

I am a cyclist and am sick of the bad name my fellow cyclists give us by riding on sidewalks, ignoring red lights or stop signs, and basically being menaces to every other road user.

If you are too scared, walk your bike and only ride it on trails and bike paths.

• I wouldn't bike on the road unless I had to cross the street to get somewhere and even then I would of course make sure the road is clear before.

• First practice balancing and riding cycle well in your private area. When the traffic in the street is less., you can try to ride the cycle. But ride on the side of the road. Don't go in the middle. When you are confident , you will be able to ride anywhere.

• It is usual in my city, they dont define bicycle is auto or not
    so both they can ride, just see they are scared by car then ride on sidewalk and shut walkers get out of my way.

• It's dangerous in the road.

Two ton tom comin up the road just might be lookin at his cell when he gets near me. Think I'll have a buffer.

• It's not weird but riding on the road is dangerous , Where i live they have a county park where people can ride on this Bicycle trail. Without being fear of getting hit by a car.

• Yes it is

• It's not weird I get why you don't want to ride on the road but you can get a ticket if it's illegal where you live. It is here.

how can I check if it is illegal in my city?

Google is your friend.

Yeah you should Google it to see if it's illegal or not. Often times its usually by state instead of a small place like a city. So you should see if it's illegal in the state you're in.

• Is that legal? In my country its not bjt we have bycicle lanes though.

• Just remember pedestrians and cars have right of way, and check if it's legal in your area in a lot of places it's not.

• Lol I'm just like you it isn't weird

• it is weird. sidewalk is for walking

• If there's no pathway for a bicycle, then I'd say it's okay to ride on the sidewalk.

• It's illegal in the UK.

What Girls Said 1

• Its not weird just can be inconvenient for others walking on the sidewalk. Go somewhere where its not populated with people so the occasional handful of people on the sidewalk won't mind.