Why is it that we are often respected for being a 'survivor' through tough times in Life, but Denial which can aid/facilitate it is seen as 'bad'?

Often you just bury your pain to 'get through'

Most Helpful Girl

• I wouldn't call burying your pain denial at all- as you said, it's just another survival tactic.

At one point I was drinking a six pack a night. Was it because I was an alcoholic? No, I was poorly medicated for bipolar and the beer made my pain go away, which allowed me to survive until I found a good doctor.

Most Helpful Guy

• i see denial as an essential stage in getting through parts of life but if we live a life of denial i think it's unhealthy because it means we aren't really accepting reality.

denial is seen as a normal stage of grief. it's a healthy part of processing grief but if we are unable to come to terms with and accept reality it means that we forever live in a sort of superficial reality. it sort of speaks to platos allegory of the cave. the idea that for many they live a life akin to that of a person in a cave. you see shadows on the wall due to reflected light and let that become your reality but of course it is only an illusion of the mind. reality may be hard to deal with but it is what we live in and so to deny reality means we aren't really living a healthy life

What Girls Said 1

• i suppose it's because when you deny it, you're not really dealing with it. and believe me when i say that denial doesn't last forever. it has often come back to bite me when i least expect it, which is why i'm a mess right now.

What Guys Said 4

• I don't know *shrugs* but I think a little denial is good not a whole lot but a little bit.

• Seems like me right now

• Possibly because denial doesn't solve the problem.

• Because denial solves nothing.