What do you think of the death penalty? Do you think it should end or stay?

What do you think of the death penalty? Do you think it should end or stay??

Most Helpful Guy

• For me as a European, it's completely insane and not understandable that Americans still practice it. I consider it an archaic, primitive and inhumane punishment that does absolutely nothing to better society in the long run. The US is the only western society that still legally executes prisoners. I find it shameful. In my country Switzerland, the last execution took place in 1940, after it had already been ruled unconstitutional in 1938. In Germany, the last execution took place in 1949. In Sweden 1910 and in the Netherlands in 1860.

Most Helpful Girl

• Im in-between because i've read stories recently how people went to on and wanted to put this pedophile to the death sentence by hanging infront of people but then again as much as justice this is there's still people are wrongfully convicted of crimes therefor their life would end without being guilty :(

What Guys Said 23

• I think it should stay, but I would like to see it used different then it is right now, and also see it brought back to Canada, I strongly feel that the ones that are caught red handed gunning down innocent people and that want to take out as many as possible, people like those pieces of garbage should have no trial what so ever.. the death penalty should be automatic to them, I do believe in a trial but only to those that deserve one.. that shooter that took a lot of people out in the theater that one fateful night.. is a prime example and this jerk should have been put to death a long time ago.. but no.. he uses the insanity defense because it is on the books, and nothing stopped him from using it far as I am concerned was done only to prolong his pathetic life and he kept the trial lingering for another three years.. then even when he was found to be more or less faking the whole thing.

He then is still allowed to still live.. and the 12 people he shot and the countless ones he wounded.. had not one bit of a chance at all and this punk planned to kill many more if he could have.. those ones killed will never be back on this planet.. and this scumbag should not have lived past that night.. I know for a fact this jerk is laughing his fool head off at the justice system.. and many more are as well on both sides of the border, to me this farce of a trial.. was in the same text as the O J Simpson trial.. nothing but a joke.. and the lawyers, judges. and all that were involved in this trial.. made lots of dollars off of it.. no money should ever be made by anyone through idiotic trials like his, or O J's... I do hope one day the justice system is over hauled and common sense will prevail and they see that some things are just not worth the money it costs.. but this is a very greedy world at times and revolves around money... instead of doing justice and the right thing,, take care

• The death penalty has never been an effective deterrent to prevent serious crime. In fact if faced with the possibility of capital punishment a criminal may commit even worse crimes... what does he/she have to lose? Further the expense of maintaining the execution apparatus and appeals system is more expensive then just locking them up permanently. There has also been numerous instances of convicted criminals subsequently being exonerated. The chance of executing innocent people is high. Capital punishment is nothing more than primitive revenge. I personally do not wish to live in that type of society.

Not even for pedophiles or rapists?

@BlueCoyote I don't know man America is so different from Europe you know, I think it's like you mention the society but changing American society, man all I have to say is good luck to whoever tries to accomplish that endeavor.

@Spencer10 Criminals don't consider the penalty but the risk of getting caught.

• It's irreversible and too many innocents were already jailed and convicted.
    http://www.innocenceproject.org/cases/

Moreover, it's probably unconstitutional (8th amendment)
    Europe abolished it.

• I've always been against it. I realize there are people out there that do some pretty heartless and evil things, but lawfully killing that person will no way in any shape or form, undue the damage that has been done.

• I am in favor of the death penalty when, and only when, there is DIRECT evidence of guilt. I would even expand it to include attempted murser, like that girl who was tortured raped and buried alive but somehow did not die. I would also apply it to some white collar crimes like Beenie Madoff.

• It should stay. People have the right to defend themselves against intruders and people trying to murder them. Thing is, if a person gets murdered the death penalty acts as a proxy to fulfill that right. I do think it should only be allowed in cases that have dna evidence, though to protect the innocent. Fact is we have thousands of people sitting through life sentences that Tax payers shell out thousands of dollars to keep them healthy and fed. I find that is unjustified when we have homeless that are getting treated worse than those who go on murdering sprees. I understand a lot of people don't want it. I also understand it's very difficult for the innocent people that have to inject or flip the switch to kill the inmates but nonetheless it's a necessary evil and frankly if more people got executions than do, i do feel that there would be less murder. A life behind bars is still a life, if they took life away from someone else they don't really deserve theirs

• I'm against it.

• I think it should stay in some form for really horrible crimes.

• Its too primitive. Its not of this time.

• Saudi Arabia's laws severely punishes people before they do anything drastic like killing. America just sends them to death line and kills them. You need to have equilibrium. It's either Saudi Arabia or non, one or the other.

• Stay AND be more widely used.

• The death penalty is ; State sanctioned murder with revengeful feelings to back it up

• Stay or give them the choice? It's hard to say because I'm religious.

• Death penalty is OK with child rapists and women who fool their husband to raise others kids

And mass killers , no offence

• Should be used in Canada

• this is how to works

example
    so lets say a girl was raped
    she gets to decide the punishment
    and if she wants do it herself also

or she can forgive

those are the only 2 options

• I wonder if people who sat in that chair ever thought they would be able to withstand it

• Stay

• They should keep the death penalty especially for pedophiles

• Yes cuz the live of murderers don't matter.

• there's a guy here in cleveland, that is a serial killer. he admitted he is. he claimed that the victims were people who were "so down on their lives, that they just wanted it to end, so he did it for them". it would be considered assisted suicide but, it's still murder. he said he wants the death sentence. makes you wonder how crazy the guy is, right?

• I agree with the death penalty in theroy but it's done horrible in practice and really if it came down to the death penalty or life in prison I think I would choose death

• To be a true deterrent, it must happen OFTEN, and it should be done PUBLICLY... televised... mandatory watching. They way it's done now... in secret... means nothing...

What Girls Said 9

• Stay. I feel it's too sporadic, it should be used more often. Probably make some people think twice about committing crimes.

I find it sad how little Americans seem to know about their own country. "Too sporadic"... really? Did you know that the US has the 5th highest execution rate in the entire world? It is only topped by Iraq, Iran, Saudi Arabia and China, of which only one is a democracy (Iraq) and none of which you'd want your country to see in the same list with.

• Stay.

• A man (more like monster) just went to jail for raping a baby. A FUCKING BABY! poor little girl died form the assult. That fucker deserves to die slow and painfully! I vote yes!

• Stay.

• Stay

• I believe it should stay

• I think it should stay.

We're better off with some people just gone.

• End. I am against it.

• Stay