Why is it considered racist to fly a confederate flag?

I mean really, it's heritage not hate. How many times does that need to be explained?

1mo Didn't know we weren't allowed to have opinions, this country really is going to crap.

Most Helpful Girl

• Because under that flag fought a power which supported slaves. It's incredibly offensive to people of color.

Most Helpful Guy

• It waa a forgotten flag from a rebellion to keep slaves till the democrat party started pushing things in the civil rights era. At that point southern Dixiecrats began flying the flag literally to thumb their noses at northerners who wanted to dismantle Jim Crow.

So basicaly it was racist in the civil war and racist again when it was brought back into use a few decades ago.

No it isn't, I disagree

You can want it to mean whatever you want it to mean in your head. The swastika is an ancient symbol for peace. But there's no way in Europe or the west it will be viewed that way, likely ever again.

The battle flag of the army of Tennessee has a pretty loaded connotation now too. That's just how it is.

I don't care what they think

What Girls Said 5

• Because in the Civil War, the Confederates were the ones who wanted slavery. To enslave black people.
    A Confederate Flag showing that you support black people becoming victimized shows racism. For real, fam.

• It is considered racists but it also just so disrespectful in my opinion and I live where I see tons of them back of trucks. It's messed up that we r in the year 2016 and people don't have enough moral respect to realize that this can't hurtful and overall disrespectful. We are all humans no matter what we look like and we all have feeling people need to b more thoughtful. I realize it's part of our history a dark part that's we shouldn't b proud of but I still think it should b time for us to realize it is a disrespectful and racist symbol at the same time when people r driving around with it on the back of their trucks.

How about we just have our own opinions and you have yours? Literally a lot of us don't see it the way you do and have family who fought for their home.

Well I wanna close this darn thing

Okay go ahead and close it I just don't get why u said what u did when u asked for people's opinions in the first place I never said my opinion was right or wrong or that people had to agree with

• Because the confederate heritage is based on seperatism, slavery and losing.

• Which heritage exactly? What legacy does the Confederate Flag represent to you?

I'll be honest here. Being from a rural area, I owned a few objects with that flag on it growing up. Then I thought about it harder and can't stand by that symbol.

It's represents my ancestors

That's why we all have our own opinions. Being able to disagree with getting upset is great. No one is wrong in this.

I agree there, too. OP, if you think this country is going to crap because you asked a controversial question in a public forum and a lot of people disagreed with you... You really need to read up on the world so you can get a better understanding of how amazing our many rights and liberties are.

• Because people are stupid.

What Guys Said 16

• The south flew the Rebel flag and they are the ones that didn't want to give up their slaves. Some think that if you want to fly the flag, you support what it represented. An interesting fact that most don't know is the the Republicans wanted the slaves freed and the Democrats of the south wanted to keep them enslaved. Another thing most don't know is that it was the Republicans passed the Civil Rights Bill in the 60's. The Democrats voted unanimously against it. Martin Luther King was a Republican as well. If you think I' nuts or a right wing idiot, you can check out those facts in a few minutes. Maybe you'll see just how much you've been mislead by the Democrats. There is much more that people don't know about these things.

my family members fought for their home, not slavery.

I understand there were many who did what your family did. I was only referencing those who fought to keep slavery. I know not all fought for that. It was an unbelievably hard time for those like your family that had nothing to do with the politics of the time. It is not a proud moment in our history. The South even had the slaves fight for them. A lot of sons and brothers fought against their brothers and Dads during the Civil War.

• Why is it not racist? Another thing that is of our heritage are genocides. Do we fly those flags? Hell no we don't.

The Confederacy was a weak, racist, desperate government body that was a severe pain in the ass and caused so many unnecessary deaths.

Just fly the fucking American flag

I do fly it, but you can't tell me what to do. I'll fly the Confederate flag until I'm dead, you want it gone? Come and take it.

1. Fools. It is indeed a sign of racism towards blacks
      2. It's not something to be proud of, either. It didn't accomplish anything and just makes everyone else in the world hate the South even more
      3. You also see black people supporting Donald Trump.
      4. I have not met one black man who flew that flag

Just because you haven't met one, doesn't mean they don't exist, they indeed do.

• How many times does it need to be explained that that "heritage" involves committing among the vilest of crimes against humanity. So much so that the descendants of those victims are reminded of those horrors by that flag and still are in fear because of the implicit racism that still exists in people who think that flag is only about "heritage".

It's the flag of an enemy. Flying it should be banned as it is treasonous.

Their loss...

Well, you're right... Unfortunately, there are also a lot of people who fulfill those racist stereotypes. We call them Trump voters.

• The confederate was used by several violent white supremacy groups. Not to mention the side that supported slavery fought with that flag. Not to mention that flag original use was the 72nd division of Virginia. Unless you're Virginian is not your heritage.

How about I have a different opinion than you?

This country allows us all to have free speech. I plead the first.

You can feel however you want. My opinion is founded on history and research. Your opinion is founded on the ideal of heritage and tradition. The ideal that heritage defines who you are is actually a pretty successful manipulation technique people use.

• When people complain about the Confederate flag being a symbol of hatred and racism, they conveniently omit some important points.

www.splcenter.org/sites/default/files/img029.jpg
    (1925 KKK march on D. C.)

linapps.s3.amazonaws.com/.../...-30-1983-da9ff.jpg
    (1983 in Connecticut.)

www.authentichistory.com/.../...-Capitol_Steps.jpg

In all three of these photos, notice which flag the Klansmen are using.

Also, when Americans moved into Indians' lands and either evicted or killed them, guess which flag was flying then, as well? {Union General John Pope said during the 1862 Dakota War: "(It is my)... purpose to utterly exterminate the Sioux (Dakota)…. They are to be treated as maniacs and wild beasts."}

Anyone who whines about the Stars and Bars being on display shouldn't fly the Union flag either. At least be consistent.

• Thats the flag that faught for slavery and to be agisnt America. If that flag not rasict neither is the nazi symbol

• Because that heritage was a symbol of racism and also anarchy of America. That's the short answer. Whether or not you see it that way, that's how it's been perceived and what it represented

That is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard.

Will it explain then, then?

Also, sure. I don't care. I think blocking is for pussies, but it's your choice and life. I did give you some butt hurt cream, though... Apparently it needed to be stronger 😔

Fuck off you idiot, blocking is so you can block idiots like you.

• being white is criminal and punishable by law.

Confederate flag - hate speech

Rape your mother gangster rap - free speech

• Then why do you have the flag?

Because it means something to me

Then I don't know, either he loves hardcore irony or he doesn't know what it means or he doesn't care.

He is smart so I guess he just doesn't see it the way you do, nor do I.

• i agree with the question... why is it offensive to fly the confederate flag, but not offensive to burn/walk on the American flag?

• the left don't like it so they think it is racist

• Why not to use flags as white, red, blue instead of confederate flag?

I do use that flag though

As long u use USA flags is cool with me. I use to live in south they don't bother with confederate flag front cuz they did not hurt me anything or not harm me then I don't care

• you do know the KKK use it as a secondary flag, right?

You do know that was a whole another thing, right?

yeah, thas cause you're a racist bigot. you probably support trump, and are probably sexist as well

I hate Trump and have a black best friend, who also flys the flag.

• The confederate flag was a symbol of the succession of Southern States at a time where their livelihood was a stake, the issue of slavery being abolished was very real and even though it was also about state rights versus federal mandate, many of the states that had declared their position to leave the union had upheld the slavery.

Unfortunately, it is also used by many groups, some immediately after the war as a symbol of racism and bigotry. Those that feel it is a racist symbol are very hurt by it being displayed on state grounds and such because of that. It is a symbol of southern pride and heritage but many people don't see it that way.

It is easier to appease those who call it a racist symbol than to leave it up on statehouses such as those in North Carolina so it doesn't incite division even though it is of heritage

Perfect answer

It's kind of a 'found heritage' though. It wasn't actually used all that much after the civil war, prior to the civil rights era, when they started flying it as a protest against the ending of segregation.

• Racist? no... but racist sure are drawn to that flag.
    It's disrespectful, Looks similar to the The second national flag of the Confederacy.
    A movement that took up arms against the U. S. It's a traitors flag and shouldn't be flown on US soil.

Maybe try flying General Santana's Mexican battle flag on Texas soil and see how that goes over. You lose the war and the rebels win? you don't get to fly your "heritage" flag over the winning nations territory.

Get some better heritage because that ones is pretty shitty' and embarrassing.

I will never do that.

BillyBob: Dude, you are clearly not going down without a fight, and I respect you for that. However, it appears as if, with this question you have proposed, you are not going to win. You should save your charisma and strong aura for real-life situations, rather than feuds with strangers on the internet.

@TheresaH There are protesters against the flag in real life.

• Because 1% of their population happened to own slaves, even though nearly every civilization has owned slaves at some point.