Why would someone spend $3,640 a year to kill themselves slowly? As in smoking cigarettes?

This is what it amounts to at $10 a day assuming you're just a pack a day smoker, it's really confusing to me since it is disgusting to most and will create major health problems later

1mo I have nothing against smokers it just confuses me when you really think about it

Most Helpful Girl

• Add on top of that the ones who drink at &9.00 bucks a day and or play lottery tickets, I can't say how people with habits live... But you are correct, I certainly wouldn't pay money out the window for something that could possibly kill me- bad stuff... but human beings are creatures of addictive behavior. I think more times than not, people suffer from some form of addiction. Food, sex, gambling, drugs, porn, heck even this web site can be a form of addiction if you like games...

Lol, you're absolutely right, only thing I'm guilty of is is a few dollars a week in lottery tickets and maybe sex, lol but those things won't kill me

you are correct , they won't and lottery can at least pay off... i should know, won big on a scratch off in 2008!!! Those are the habits we like...

Yup I know I do 😊

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't smoke and never will. Not my thing, but. I have nothing against people who do. (The only times I ever have is if I'm drunk and someone offers. Haha). But, I never enjoy it and would never buy or take them in my day.

We all die one day anyway, and life sucks ass, so, If someone gets even a momentary sense of mental pleasure then props to them I guess.

I don't hate the people that smoke just the habit

Oh man you're a riot, LMAO

Appreciate the MHO bud ;)

What Girls Said 9

• I have a Roomie right now who is going into Leg Surgery for P. A. D next month, and this Operation is going to Cost Way Over...10,000, because he Smoked himself Silly over the years.
    It doesn't always Kill, Bill, but One can Reap the Consequences.
    My own Dad Quit 4 years ago, Thank God, because he had Emphysema, or he Would have been 6ft. Under.
    Good luck and Everyone, hun, has to Learn for Themselves. xx

Yes some people it doesn't seem to affect but it must be doing something to them even if it doesn't give them cancer and is quite costly One way or another

Thank you for the Like. xx

NP😊

• Because it's an addiction. It's hard as hell to quit. Most people who smoke started years ago when they were young and stupid.

Yes I know, my brother has still not stopped and has been a smoker since 13 so I know all to well but you would think now a days people wouldn't start or work on quitting, it's a win win for everyone

Most smokers have tried to quit and make regular attempts to quit. It's just so fucking hard. I'm lucky that last time I quit I happened to start dating someone who can't stand cigarettes shortly after I quit, and very few of my friends still smoke. I had quit many times before and always started up again a couple weeks, a couple months, a couple years down the road. It's the hardest addiction to kick.

I don't understand why anyone starts these days, but the number of new smokers is in big decline and has been for years. When I started we knew it was bad but it was also still kind of cool...

That's exactly how my brother is with trying to quit so many times and yet keeps starting again and blames it on stress on why he started again. Well just keep up the good work, at least there's not to many around you that do now

• I'm addicted. but I agree i want to quit.

I guess if you add up what you spend and think of what you could have spent it on that might help , that and all those pictures of the after effects it does to people

yeah a lot of people gain weight when they quit

Oh yeah I've heard that too if they replace it with food but some just use a lollipop

• Because its an addiction. but a lot of things are bad for your health and kills you slowly Smoking is just more socially aware.

Yeah but not only is it bad for you that's enough for a car payment or my insurance and gas for the year

Well you have to deal with the addiction and maybe the mental issues that caused that addiciton. Its easier said then done.

Yeah I know I heard it's like heroin it's so addicting and only a few people I know have stopped cold turkey

• Some people smoke to escape and some smoke to relieve stress. Yeah I agree with you, I dislike smokers. It's disgusting and should be illegal. But the tobacco companies say it's "safe" apparently which is why it's on the shelves.

It's weird because smoking weed is illegal but yet it has never been known to cause cancer it only seems to relieve it and used for it

That's exactly what I've told people, America legalizes stupid shit.

• Because they're dumb and addicted.

Seems to be people with addictive personalities I've noticed also who just happen to make a bad choice in the beginning

Yes exactly and fall into the bad crowd of people who peer pressure.

• Why would you spend money on eating McDonalds or on alcohol, or on amusement parks?

Well I would hope you're not doing any of those things several times a day like cigarettes and I doubt you're going to annoy anyone else by doing that

Doesn't matter it could kill you anyways and a lot of people do eat horrible, fatty food every day.

Well my point was about cigarettes mostly for now don't even get me started about other things people do that are bad for them and costly

• Nope

• because they secretly want to get as many types of cancer as possible

Now you're being sarcastic I've already seen two people suffer and die from cancer

What Guys Said 14

• because they choose the immediate satisfaction over the potential long term risks. why drink and drive, text and drive, have sex without a condom or use any substance that can lead to addiction and death (heroine, meth, cocaine, oxy, etc)?

we humans often rationalize our behavior assuming the potential risks in exchange for the rewards

Well those other things aren't exactly addicting except for the obvious ones that are , but they are risky behavior , seems like us humans don't have much self control I guess, but I was only making a point about smoking, of course there are so many other things that are bad for us

• It's an addiction. The initial high is great and then you're stuck. A person who smokes is well aware of what it is doing to them but it is extremely difficult to stop.

Yeah it's ashame that it is that way

• I stopped smoking at 30, stopped alcohol at 60: that saved me a lot of money

Yeah that and your health I hope

Air pollution does what tobacco doesn't do.

Depends where you live I guess but at least smoking is preventable

• Because nicotine is among the most addictive substances on Earth.

Yeah I heard it's like heroin unfortunately

• Smoking is pretty gross. I saw it in the military a lot though. I'd never be that little bitch to make a comment saying "Oh that's bad for your health" lmao. I think it's nasty though.

Yeah I can't stand the smell and it's amazing how far away I can smell it and I never smoked

• It starts with a headrush and you chase the headrush until you're addicted. I quit smoking 2 months ago and it was hard since it was my 2nd time.

I hope you quit for good, hang in there, it's really tuff to do 👍

• Same with people who drink alcohol or eat McDonald's and fast food only.

I hate how we get on cigarettes byt alcohol is worse

Well I haven't even started on that but yeah that's worse and more expensive if you drink a lot and I hope people are eating McDonald's every day

*are not * I mean about McDonald's

• It's an addiction and it's REALLY hard to quit. My brother smokes and he's tried to quit many times, it's a horrible addiction.

Same here with my younger brother and I'm in better health than him so who knows what will happen later on

Ya it's a pretty disgusting addiction.

• they claim it "calms them down" well i have done a fine job being calm without smoking so I don't know.

It's strange that they say that it does that when it increases your heart rate

• Why people drink alcohol? Why people do drugs? Its an addiction

Yeah I know that but still just amazes me when you've seen or heard so many people die from it

• addiction and it make you feel good in this short and stupid life.

I guess so but you're not going to like the suffering later on before it ends from it

I don't smoke. also if you smoke one or two cigarets per day, I don't think nothing too bad will happen.

Yeah like a social smoker I guess, probably won't do anything if that's all

• not so pricey here but that aside, the same could be said of fast food or high sugar diets

Yeah but you're not going to bother anyone else or make their clothes stink by eating fast or sugary food

same strain on the health service only they dont pay high taxes on shit food to cover it

• i agree. people should just do what i do and use smokeless tobacco.. its only $5.95/day

Hopefully that's helps you to quit it altogether at some point too

I actually never smoked. Just went straight to dipping. I hope I quit too because I'm already seeing the negative affects on my mouth

• It's 3650 not 3640 but I have no idea but why since 300 a month is the better part of a car payment

I did 52×70 , not monthly but it's still a waste of money

I just went 365 ×10

What about leap year LOL