Why do we care so much about looks?

Why do we pay so much attention to looks isn't it the personality and heart that matters?

Most Helpful Guy

• I think the more interesting question is why we think that there is something wrong with valuing looks? Why should looks be valued any less than personality or intelligence? I think everyone cares about looks. But it's as if we feel guilty about the fact that we find looks so important. By why? Some people feel so guilty about valuing looks that they go through all kinds of contortions to try to convince themselves it isn't important.

I suppose part of the reason that many people would prefer to minimize the value of looks is that many people don't look that great. So it's natural to try to devalue something you don't possess yourself. But really it's just self deception because in reality I think all people place a high value on looks. It's only natural.

I think we should celebrate looks. It's one of the most important things to pretty much all people whether they can admit it to themselves or not.

What Guys Said 14

• It's the initial attraction

• Looks are what gets your personality's foot in the door.

It is not shallow to need to find your love interest physically attractive.

• well if nothing ATTRACTS someone to make them know you better how the hell are you gonna seduce them with your personality?

• All three matter. When you're finding a SO to potentially spend the rest of your life with, who you'll wake up beside every morning. Guess what! You better make sure you find them physically appealing too! You don't compromise on things like this. You find someone who is the complete package for you and that includes in the looks department. If you don't then it'll just cause problems later on down the road.

• Yes it is, something has to get us interested in talking and getting to know that personality at first. I'm assuming for a (romantic) relationship here.

I agree with @meatballs21

• No.

Looks indicate health and suitability for breeding. The way a woman looks is how she will raise your offspring.

• I just want to look good, for me

• That's just society

• Yeah but wel... i dont like very beautiful girls personally.. But people do look for aesthetics and everyone has their own criteria

• That's called a friend

• That kinda shows you that those things don't really matter. Your question is self explainatory

• Don't pigeonhole everyone with that "we", missy.

• Because from an instinct standpoint, we're not just choosing a nanny and friend. We're choosing genetics for our children.

• I care about both a lot. Which is probably why I'm single. My standards are super high. But I work hard to meet the male equivelant of those standards.

What Girls Said 8

• Well, there's a few reasons, social and biological, but the basis is that physical attraction is what draws us to a person. You can "wear your heart on your sleeve" figuratively, but not literally. No one is going to just get to know you without having a reason to approach you.

• That's why I always start off as friends. No matter how attractive they are, I won't jump into a relationship. I have to have chemistry with them and like their personality. Having similar interests/beliefs is important to me as well. If I have a special connection with them, I will pursue them. I am very attracted to intelligence. Physical attraction is important to me too, but I don't expect a super model or anything. The only deal breaker would be if they were so ugly that I couldn't even bear to look at them without being repulsed. If someone has all the non-superficial qualities you like they do end up looking more attractive to you though. Getting to know someone changes the way you see them.

• Personalities can change and are not that difficult to change looks matter it's easier to change a bitch who's hot then a nice person who's ugly and physical attraction does matter.

• aestetics are important, as well as art, kinda feeds our soul and there is not really a way to explain it by logic
    if you are w someone who is not appealing to you aestetically you will feel unhappy therefore it affects your happiness

• I think you have to be both physically and emotionally attracted to someone for anything to work out honestly.

• because it is the first thing you notice.

• it's the first thing we notice
    looks are the quickest arrow to one's emotions

• It's half and half...