If God exists, & God is either male or female, which do you think s/he is?

I understand you may be tempted to say "neither" or "both", but for the sake of argument, just pick one, if you HAD to choose.

I'm agnostic. But if God exists, & we had to limit to one gender, I'd say God was female.

There are some female-only species but no male-only species. http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2001/07/0702_wirefemalemites.html

Even in Christianity. There's reason to believe that IF Jesus was really born by a virgin birth - parthenogenesis, which is a thing in the animal kingdom - Jesus would've been female, since the Y-chromosome - which creates maleness - is passed by the sperm, which would have not been present in the impregnation of Mary. Jesus would have feigned maleness due to the possibility of not being taken seriously otherwise.

For that matter, people venerating Jesus as partially female actually isn’t unheard of:
http://bigbible.org/mothergod/4-6-christ-as-mother-in-the-middle-ages/

Also, Julian of Norwich, who is recognized as a saint in Catholicism, argued that God is both Mother and Father.

She also argued that rather than being a punishment upon women, as claimed by many patriarchal aspects of religion, the pain/blood of menstruation & childbirth were mini-crucifixions intended to bring women closer to God/Christ. Just like Christ bled to bring spiritual life to humanity, women bleed to bring physical life to humanity.

Thus, menstruation being a cyclical reminder of women's connection to God and Christ as well as the cycles of nature. Indeed, the content of menses is the endometrium, which is the place in which the zygote first implants - all humans' first homes.

Monthly, women are exposed to the Source of Life, & reminded of their sacred status as the Vessels of Life. What could be closer to God than that?

• Male
  • Female
  • Female. & Your description emphasizes how truly divine women's bodies are.
1mo Note that i am not referring to what Christian religion says. I'm referring to "God" in general, not necessarily according to Christianity.

Personally I'm pagan.
1mo Updaaaate.
1mo Updaaaaate

Most Helpful Guy

• I find it amusing that you're trying so hard to apply science to religion, citing female-only species, and parthenogenesis (which is not actually a thing for vertibrate mammals and is the opposite of what the Bible says happened in the first place).

If the Abrahamic God (the god of the Jews, Muslims, and Christians) exists, he's definitely a dude. Why? Because the books say so. The arguements of Anselm of Canterbury and St. Juliana of Norwich are instantly, utterly and forever invalid for the same reason. Because the books do not say so.

Now, if you want to talk about pagan gods, that's another story entirely.

Most Helpful Girl

• I've been raised to believe that God takes a male image (God is given the pronoun He) and I still do, but your descriptions make sense for those who argue that God is female. The menstruation part makes most sense to me and i guess that's something good I can think about whenever that dreaded time of the month comes 😖😖

What Guys Said 44

• If it was "human" I believe it changes form to suit who he deals with, what area of the world he visits, and to what end he has the visit for. "God" is not human. I think it can be all forms of life. Or, forms that we know not about of other worlds. "He" does say that he created humans in his own image. So why would he create a woman that wasn't akin to Him? He also said that Woman is the perfect companion for Man. So he loved both sexes and values both sexes. But us dumb ass humans biker about who's better and bullshit like this. We are meant to be with one another, so all this bullshit about separation of the sexes is just illogical and irrational.

• Yes, god is probably a female. I think what happened is that she banished Satan and his rebellion to hell, all male angels I'm sure, maybe because heaven was actually oppressive towards her male creations and they were fed up with it, but who knows really. This would mean that men represent evil and women represent all that is good and holy. Cleverly hidden message, but I see what you're saying here.

I hope god isn't a misandrist if she does exist. I've never been much of a fighter but I could train to become a heavenly white-knight who serves and protects the realm or whatever from hellish invaders. Do you think they have a training program in heaven?

• 0|3
  • Male, he's a dick.

• If God exists, S/He is ineffable, unknowable and utterly mysterious. Anthropomorphising God into a wish list is a useless exercise. What I'm saying in effect is that God did not create us in His/Her image, we created a god in our image.
    Julian of Norwich rocks! And her very words were echoed much more recently by (I believe) Pope Pius X.
    To get a more sophisticated appreciation of what I'm trying to say I recommend the writings of Meister Eckhart or Pierre Teilhard de Chardin. Fair warning: both are tough sledding.

• In Islam we believe that God is beyond gender. In our holy book Quran, a lot of times God refers to himself as "We" . This is not the "we" as in plural but "we" of majesty. Now he also refers to himself as "he" or "him" but this is not to refer to his gender but rather due to lack of a better word in the Arabic language and the fact that "he" is used instead of "she" is to imply superiority and dominance because if "she" was used, people would have not taken it seriously because men were considered way far superior and powerful to women.

• i dont like monotheism, it implies that there is one authority which humankind must submit to, i disagree with that. i like Greek and Norse mythology better. there is a story from Greek mythology that says that the gods had created humans with both genders in one being. nobody needed another person, humans were complete. but the gods were not entertained and they had taken all humans of the earth and split them in half. thus males and females were created. now people were sad and lonely, forever searching the globe for their other half to be completed with them so they dont feel sad or lonely anymore.

i will only accept a woman that is created not in the image of god, but in the image of the goddess Aphrodite.

• In the King James, God is called "Father", and Jesus is called "Son".

I believe they are both male.

As a response to the update.
      The general meaning of "God" doesn't have an entity that it describes. It's a concept when it isn't specific.

Since I'm Christian, I would only consider the Christian God. Where as a Catholic would consider the Catholic God and so on.

• Lol, since we were created at its image, it's clearly a hermaphrodite LOOOOL
    To be able to procreate both men and women

You know that whole thing is just a badly written story, right?

• I hope it's a goddess.

Goddesses are way hotter than gods.

• Who said god is a human? But I guess the bible said he made Adam after himself so god would probably be a guy. We shouldn't forget that the bible was made up in patriarchic times so obviously god would be a man.

According to the Bible, God made both Adam and Eve in God's own image.

"He created them male and female; when they were created, he blessed them and named them "humankind." "

& I mean, logically speaking. Not just from the Bible. There are many different beliefs on this matter throughout different religions. I'm not going precisely from the Bible; I'm thinking logically

no he created Adam first and made eve out of Adam but he made Eva out of Adam...

besides needing two genders would be imperfect and hints towards multiple gods, which is contradictory, thus god is without gender

xD Adam is made after god, Eva is made out of Adam. that's what I wanted to say

• God ain't a male or female or materialistic or follow the laws of physics so I can say you know IF for you lol

Yes, but if you HAD to pick which one, would be more logical?

I wouldn't because that's not ligaical at all to me that's aganist what makes god god lol

• neither god is a computer.

• Ok look, I am agnostic as well, which rules out your question entirely! Do you think that a GOD would bother being a gender?

• I don't know, and I'm not going to pretend I know. But for the sake of existence, I consider God a male.

• God isn't human, so this question does not work. God is Spirit. God is referenced as Father which is male, it's because of the authority that comes with the term.
    And no Jesus was not a girl, her was circumcised;
    And the reason women bear labor pain is a punishment from the fall of man, no woman or man can bring life that is already created; menstrual cycle is a very unclean thing, very serious matter of uncleanliness

• If God is real then he or she is a despicable character anyway, regardless of gender.

• A woman God would explain why nothing makes sense.

• 'God' doesn't exist. Now stop smoking pot and get out of my wheelbarrow.

proof to me that God does not exist

you are not answering my question... @donromeo

@liesiegirl I used to be passionate about guiding people to sanity, but if you want to believe that there's a dude up there making everything s--- for his own amusement, then you go right ahead, you wouldn't believe me anyway

• Of course God is the male principle. Devil is female/shemale
    i.ytimg.com/vi/AOerkZtCSlg/maxresdefault.jpg
    fellowshipofminds.files.wordpress.com/.../...r.png

No wonder all negative qualities are attributed to women.

• God is spirit. sex and gender is there for pro creation reasons.

in the same way, when we die, were neither male or female.

-someone who knows the bible

• He is an alpha man like me ;)

• from what i have read in text GOD is a spirit
    now explaining him OHHHH!!! A TON IS SPECULATION

I AM THAT I AM
    what do i go off of lol?
    not much

all i know is
    he is either male or just a spirit
    it's the only two i can think of cause he made ADAM in his image
    then he made eve after

but i mean lets say god is male or female would it really matter
    nahh

http://biblehub.com/genesis/5-2.htm

God made both Adam and Eve in God's own image.

God created Dirt before he created Adam, and made Adam from Dirt out of the ground...

makes sense

• 0|0
  • I don't believe, but if so, no man could be this spiteful.

• Your "women are superior gender fetish" never ends right?

You collected data about religions though you were Atheist just to support your idea,,, lol

• If there is a god, he probably doesn't give a shit about petty things like genders. Such things would be beneath It.

• Which one?

• Since ever ancient text refers to God as Him, I'm pretty sure He is male. But at the same time His existence surpasses all understanding, so there's that.

"He" is used because in addition to being the word for masculinity, it's also gender neutral histotically. Similar to the word mankind.

him or males are used as a superior reference points. there's not gender in the spiritual world from what I've learned

• This is no such thing as a god

• More from Guys
    14

What Girls Said 23

• Okay, let's assume a *very* personal God exists. Sure.

This God made... both men and women.

In order to MAKE both men and women... this God would have to UNDERSTAND both men and women.
    Their bodies.
    Their souls.
    Their hearts.
    Their minds.
    Their wills.
    Their *everything*.

Men... are easy enough to understand.

Understanding women? Well enough to MAKE our bodies, souls, hearts, minds, wills, and... *everything*?

data.whicdn.com/.../...uOI61ri5qp0o1_500_large.gif

May She have eternal mercy on us.

<3

"In order to MAKE both men and women... this God would have to UNDERSTAND both men and women."

Are you familiar with a Twilight Zone episode called It's a Good Life?

Sorry. I haven't had my cheekyscope calibrated in years. And please don't tell anyone I'm walking around with ano unlicensed, uncaliberated cheekyscope.

"Parties"... oh yeah, I vaguely remember those...

;)

Seriously though, I know you're being cheeky. It's just a subject that has always fascinated me. People do make all kinds of guesses and assumptions about God and it always fascinates me.

@Bluemax LOL

Religion is one of the few things I simply WILL NOT discuss in seriousness, because there is no possible benefit of such a discussion -- no one is ever open to changing any positions, or, really, serious thought of any kind -- and so much potential for divisiveness.

• The word 'Abba' in hebrew means Father/daddy. A father is a male figure and who carry's the seed [sperm and offspring]. The woman's womb is like fertile ground [where you plant your seeds]. And God is a he, but he is also spirit. We have periods as females because it is our curse due to of what Eve did. We weren't supposed to experience blood loss or pain during pregnancy. The blood is our source of life. Anything that calls Jesus or God as female or how Mary had sex is a false doctrine to confuse people.

Parthenogenesis is what we would witness physically, But we can never see with our natural eyes what happened spiritually. Jesus could not be a savior if he was born of man and woman because now he would have sin, and would not be able to fulfill the all of the 600+ laws of Moses. So that right there is completely false. And besides, carnal people can never understand spiritual things or what is going on spiritually in their lives or of others.

God created Adam first, and out of Adam's rib he created woman, and Adam named her Eve. God was pleased and he wed them, and commanded them to be fruitful [have offspring] and multiply [populate the earth]. The planet earth cradles us like a mother. And since we were made and born of the earth such as water, dirt and air, we will return back to dust since Adam and Eve ate of the fruit. And plus all those Catholic saints are not even saints at all. But Greek gods in disguise. And the images of Jesus with long hair is NOT Jesus, but a pedophile criminal. And the images of the virgin Mary is not Mary either. But a pagan goddess. There is a lot of error with this.

What religion are you?

@mistixs

I do trust the Bible. I have never said I didn't. What I'm saying is that I am aware of what people have done to it. The original texts were in Aramaic. Which is a dead language nobody uses anymore like old latin. Most people do not dig further to understand why these things were placed in there, and this is why we have so many problems. Just like I have both the KJV and NIV versions. KJV is the most trusted to read. However NIV is full of things that is not in KJV. Most other translations after NIV also lacks the words of Christ, which is usually highlighted in red. But most people can't understand the Bible, even most Christians because of how it was written. So the next closest is the NKJV. Which doesn't have 'Thy, whatsoever, thee' etc.

That is another reason why my late mother's family got out of Catholicism because they found out what it really is. Its of another god, a religion. Religion is bondage. And God has never said create a religion. That's why the same people that followed the laws of Moses, which was the pharisees and the sadducees had Jesus nailed to the cross, because they didn't like what he did or had to say, because they had self-righteous and was blinded by their own sin. This is what many are failing to teach. Had he not take the cross, all human beings would have been damned anyway because of our sinful nature Adam and Eve started.

• Its been portrayed as a male.
    But Id like to think of God as neither. Something bigger than that.
    God is neither male or female, just God.
    God is more of a mysterious entity that nobody can truly explain until we die. The bible was written by man, so would they not write god as a man?
    I believe that god is not a being, but is everything and nothing at the same time.

• Why would you picture God as a person or animal, or any kind of animate object to begin with?
    I'd say if a god or multiple gods exist, it's more of an omniscient aura that surrounds everything, at least that seems more plausible to me as an atheist haha.
    It doesn't have a gender, nor is it visible to the eye it would just be an all surrounding presence, somehow like the "dark matter" that holds the universe together and that we still don't exactly know what it is.

>>>>>>"Why would you picture God as a person or animal, or any kind of animate object"

This is an interesting question; a book I had to read this summer basically took a cognitive science approach to studying how religion works, and offered a pretty interesting take on it. :) It said that -- if you notice -- most supernatural concepts that are popular tend to fit into basic real-world categories that people are already familiar with: categories like PERSON, or ANIMAL, or PLANT, or TOOL, or MAN-MADE OBJECT, or NATURAL OBJECT.

And then what makes it "supernatural" is that it violates some criteria in that category (with the most popular supernaturals tending to violate one major trait among how we think of those categories). For example, a ghost is just a PERSON without a body. Superman is just a PERSON who can fly. Yes, Superman has several superpowers, but when we close our eyes and think of Superman, we more simply think of a person just like us -- except that he can fly.

@dissolute_dog oh yeah but then the concepts and times those middle eastern religions originated in and are based on were pretty much inherently sexist so I can't say I'm surprised that those religious groups would picture God as a male.. T_T

Very true. This reminds me of a video some years ago that was a parody of point-and-click adventure games, about being a prophet who starts a religion. xD If you have 6 minutes to spare, it's definitely worth it haha:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQBE3odp6Q0

• God is male that's what recordings and the Bible have told us just stop feminists making up bs women and men are equal it's this shit that is making girls look pathetic.

Source from the Bible that God is male?
      Usage of "He" in the Bible is because that was the gender-neutral term.

Even this Catholic website says the following:

https://gotquestions.org/Holy-Spirit-gender.html

"If gender is an attribute of the body, then a spirit does not have gender. God, in His essence, has no gender...

Many people think that the Bible presents God in exclusively male terms, but this is not the case. God is said to give birth in the book of Job and portrays Himself as a mother in Isaiah. Jesus described the Father as being like a woman in search of a lost coin in Luke 15 (and Himself as a "mother hen" in Matthew 23:37). In Genesis 1:26-27 God said, "Let us make humankind in our image, after our likeness," and then "God created humankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them, male and female he created them." Thus, the image of God was male and female - not simply one or the other."

Most forms of Christianity assert that God is genderless, & use masculine terms to describe God because that's considered gender-neutral (same for mankind).

And depictions aren't always right.

Depictions show Jesus as having long hair, yet the Bible says the following:

"if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him." http://biblehub.com/1_corinthians/11-14.htm

• My Lord is a Man, The Father of all Creation.
    He has One Begotten Son, Jesus Christ, who I am Assuming is His own Likeness in Man's Form, All as One, hun.
    Good luck. xx

Oh, my goodness. I see many troubled gaggers.. Please, come see me. So misled and misunderstood.

lol Pagan? So is my cousin but I still love her. xxoo

• God has no gender, God is a higher power we can't comprehend, God isn't like his creation, therefore he doesn't have a gender.

• Considering he calls himself the " father" of all humans... I'd assume he's male 😈

In Christianity, you mean.
      There are thousands of other religions in the world.

Many religions believe their are multiple gods (both male and female) and that God is female.

Yes , those beliefs originated by pagans centuries ago. They have been carried down through the centuries, and various beliefs have been added and taken away to create a new religion.

• "If God exists, & God is either male or female"

Wrong. Concept of God can be completely impersonal.

Of course. I acknowledged that. I said, if you HAD to choose ONE that seemed most logical.

Why do you go by "Hitler"? Lol

to keep people away. it works.

• I view God like the silver surfer - with a male body but no genitals... that's the clearest view I get from the Bible. And if you listen to Ron Wyatt you can see Jesus had 24 chromosomes - 23 from his mother and one Y from a non-human source. The blood was found and tested in a lab. YouTube it

• I would assume male, but God is neither one technically but since you want me to pick one or the other, I'd go with male.

• The Duck Billed Platypus could only exist if God is male.

• Although my answer is "god doesn't exist and if he did it would be genderless and beyond this world" for the sake of the question I'd say god would be a female.

• Judea god is what i beleive in. The spirit is masculine referred to as father by jesus.

• He's male and I believe he gose by Chuck nowadays...

If anyone gets this follow me.

• God is neither female or male. 😅

Yes, but if you HAD to pick which one would be more logical

God speaks for himself. Read the bible, or ask him what he is, and let him show you. 😊

• im not voting for "if" God exists...

i know HE IS THE ONLY WAY , TRUTH and LIFE

• As a Christian, I say bull shit. God isn't even human.

• I used to think he was a man but really it's women who give life and we say god create us so I think it's a women

• you're a special kind of stupid huh.

I hope you're playing the devils advocate.

Also not all Christian sects follow or believe the old testament. Jesus himself said not to follow the old testament (he told the men not to stone the adulterous women as described in the OT.)

You're a piece of work fo sho.

• He doesn't have a gender... we only refer to him as a male though for some reason

• Non binary a maybe a hermaphrodite a non-conformist? AgendeR?

• You forgot about several other possibilities:

D) Maybe God is some sort of third gender
    E) Neither, God is genderless and asexual
    F) Both, God is Androgynous/Hermaphrodite
    G) There are lots of gods and goddesses, some of them are male, some of them are female.

I know. Personally I believe God is both genders, and beyond gender.

But if I had to pick one, I'd pick female.

What about you?

You should vote on the poll :D

I already have, yesterday :)