How often do you use the words "um" and "like"?

I hear girls use it more often than guys.

• Very often
    47% (16)22% (4)38% (20)Vote
  • Sometimes
    41% (14)56% (10)46% (24)Vote
  • Never
    12% (4)22% (4)16% (8)Vote
And you are? I'm a GirlI'm a Guy
Updates:
1mo i use it sometimes

2|0
20|15

Most Helpful Girl

• Sigh. It depends on how much sleep I've had or how focused I am. Recently, separately, I've said them quite a bit. "like" MUCH more than "umm".

If I'm sleep deprived or unfocused (lack of energy/sleep) then I might use "umm" a bit more than I should.

Tsss. I've started using 'like' more and I don't know why. Slap me if I ever start saying "umm, like" unless it's as a joke.

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• I won't lie I do use them on occasion, but the whole idea behind these words is they offer a transition from one thought to the next. My daughter on the other hand uses these expressions more than she really should, the result of this use is I tease her. When she says like, I will reply that what ever it is she said is only "like" it but not exactly... ;-) she of course doesn't really appreciate the humor in this.

0|1
    0|0

What Girls Said 19

• I believe this may have to do with a woman's speech pattern, because we are wired to think about everything, and I do mean EVERYTHING. No matter how trivial and crazy it is. So we need other ways to filter what we like and need to say to a person. But other then that. I also think that this is due to poor habit as well. Its not proper English or how we should speak, but so many people is used to it that its either a problem for that person or isn't a problem. For me, I desire to speak properly and better. I feel like I also have a problem with speech, I also have TMJ as well.

0|1
    0|0
  • I use "Like" every day, @coolbreeze2, whenever Someone on Here, dear, gives me an Upvote.
    Good luck and Great question. xx

0|1
    0|0
  • Very often :P

0|1
    0|0
  • Usually say "umm" because Im thinking about how to word something appropriately or trying to explain

0|1
    0|0
  • Probably way more often than I should, haha.

0|1
    0|0
  • I speak French most of the time so I say "Genre" which is kind of the equivalent of "like".

0|1
    0|0
  • I don't use either of those words too often. Just sometimes. Usually when I use "um" it's because I'm being sarcastic.

0|1
    0|0
  • Ummmm I use "like" a lot as an actual part of my dialogue. Like (<-) a synonym for "for example" rather than just randomly. I use "umm" in text but not out loud. I say "uhh" instead hahaa

0|1
    0|0
  • Very often

0|1
    0|0
  • My Spanish dramas got me saying a lovely 'ehhh' in a lovely espaniol accentima

0|1
    0|0
  • not nearly as frequently as i used to

0|1
    0|0
  • Very often.
    This is why I'm constantly called an 'oreo'.

0|1
    0|0
    • 1mo

I don't get it...

• 1mo

@LadyTerror I'm black, and since white girls are stereotyped as 'basic', people say I sound 'basic'. So, they are literally telling me I act like a white girl (I REALLY don't know how you can act a race?) when my race is black. Oreo cookies are black on the outside, white on the inside, thus giving me the nickname 'oreo'.

• 1mo

Yeah I've been called that a lot of times too. I've also been told I don't "talk like a black girl", but I never thought that these words were considered stereotypically white. You learn something new everyday.

• tbh very often!! xD

0|1
    0|0
  • Ummm like all the time

0|1
    0|0
  • Like um I don't know

0|1
    0|0
  • Very often 😊

0|1
    0|0
  • I use it like all the time lol

0|1
    0|0
  • Pretty often.

0|1
    0|0
  • um.. like.. what do you mean?

0|1
    0|0

What Guys Said 14

• Sometimes I do. More often than I really should. I'm paying closer attention to what I say so that "like", "um", and "you know" aren't every other word that comes out of my mouth.

0|1
    0|0
  • I don't... um... use words like like very often. Like if I'm unsure how to um, describe something I'll say like um... "do you know what I mean like where I'm going with this."

1|1
    0|0
  • I hastily go "doopy doopy doo" then pretend to look through whatever I'm holding to buy me some time. Preferably it's a book.

1|1
    0|0
  • Way too often.. I'd be shit at public speaking lol

0|1
    0|0
  • I took a speech class, and for every time we would stammer, stutter or use useless words such as "like, umm, uh, kinda, etc" he would take off a percentage point

0|1
    0|0
  • Um, like never...

1|1
    0|0
  • too often probably

0|1
    0|0
  • ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

0|1
    0|0
  • I don't think I use those words at all.

0|1
    1|0
    • 1mo

Lies

• Show All
    • 1mo

So I'm right 😉 you do use em.

• 1mo

Sure lol. Do you "like" how Donald Trump grabs America by the pussy?

• umm possibly... soz!! I think both get used with sexual stuff a lot

0|1
    0|0
  • Ummmmmm I like kinda like use it like um like a little too much

0|1
    0|0
  • A lot... like a lot.

0|1
    0|0
  • (Almost) Never.

0|1
    0|0