Driving 8 hours tomorrow any tips?

I have to drive 8 hours tomorrow and I had a really bad crash in the beginning of this year. I'm good but just a little nervous.

1mo Got home safe... thanks everyone!❤

Most Helpful Guy

• Yeah i was in a major crash about 2 years ago. Driving hasn't really been a big deal. But the secret is to not think about it. If you start thinking about it too long then it will get to you. And ouch lol 8 hours is not fun. Driving from LA to SF I've only doe 3 times. Damn that was so boring. But keep the tunes jumpy. If you are are edge, good. That will keep you in the moment, load up on coffee or green tea to keep you awake.

Most Helpful Girl

• -take it easy (at your own pace)
    -if you're getting tired (have a power nap)
    -don't try rushing to get to your destination
    -if you have a deadline to get to your destination, plan to head out earlier than expected
    -otherwise make sure to keep checking your side view mirrors/rear view mirror (constantly, so you're aware of other drivers around you)
    -be extra cautious when passing through big intersections

What Guys Said 40

• Music, but not continuously. Have some quiet time.

Maybe throw in a talk show or something besides music.

Take breaks. Even if you don't feel like you need one take some anyway.

Take a real lunch break, not just a quick in-and-out fast food break. Stop and relax long enough that you aren't even thinking about traveling or where you have to be.

Open the windows and get some fresh air.

Change seating and leg positions, within reason.

Take some munchies. Something to drink but not too much sugar.

Don't forget to poop. Seriously, it's easy to become constipated when driving long distances.

If you feel even a little bit tired or road weary, take a break. Better to arrive three hours late than not at all.

Don't ignore any unusual sounds, vibrations, smells in your car. Have your car checked out before you leave. Check basics like oil level and tire pressure when you get there.

When you get there call/text home at let people know you arrived.

Enjoy yourself and be safe.

• Make sure you get plenty of sleep tonight! This is THE most important thing. I've had to drive 1-2 hours on no sleep or just a few hours of sleep before, and that was one of the stupidest, scariest, and most dangerous things of me to do ever. So for 8 hours, definitely make sure you are well-rested beforehand.

Secondly, bring enough water or food. Sometimes, listening to some kind of talk or news radio can help to stay alert, compared to music (which can become monotonous). But music can keep you entertained too. Just mix it up!

And if you are tired or drowsy, it's better to pull over somewhere safe-looking and walk around for a few minutes to freshen up. Better to add a bit of time to your trip that way, rather than pressing on and falling asleep at the wheel lol.

And just enjoy the scenery. :)

Also, watch out for motorcyclists between the fast lane and carpool lane, which is where I notice most motorcyclists tend to do lane-splitting.

• Drive 20 mph under the speed limit and leave your turn signal on. all the time. Everybody honking at you will keep you awake!

• (1.) Have a REALLY GOOD breakfast beforehand. Screw whatever diet fad you might be following, eat like a queen.
    (2.) Caffeine is essential. Don't have too much but don't have too little. Either. I would recommend black tea.
    (3.) Every 100 miles stop to take a break, pee, get more drinks/snacks etc. Just has to be like 5 minutes and stretch.
    (4.) Don't get "tunnel vision" on the road. Chances are you will be driving straight on the same road for a longggggg time. Look all around you, always be aware. Never just look straight ahead and zone out.
    (5.) Listen to some hardcore rave music EDM shit. That's why I love that music so much, it's loud and fast pace so you're always hyped and alert.

• Protip - don't sleep. 2nd protip - have decent music. 3rd protip - try to overtake other cars - that way your brain will be active. Driving a long stretch of road for one hours where nothign happens is more dangerous than driving for 4 hours on a road where you're constantly thinking. At least that's what I have learned thus far.

• Someone hit The bunny! Get the liscence? I'll make sure he never drives AGAIN😡.

But if you're going solo... music, snacks, run a red light for adrenaline and excitement, FaceTime with friends. Run over a few clowns.

• Just make sure you got your tunes on point. That's probably the most important thing. Also, depending where you live and which roads you're using, it might be better to avoid the interstate. And if you do get tired, which is about hour 5, just stop somewhere... I just usually end up eating. 8 hours isn't too bad, though

• Don't drive too slow, I know it sounds silly but monotonous driving and forcing everyone to pass you is not a pleasant journey. Take as many breaks as you want.

nothing focuses the mind more than driving at 155mph on a german autobahn so i can confirm this advice to be true

@wankiam Occasionally being passed at 155 wakes you up too 😂.

"Speed and power solves many things" JC - 2014

indeed, rear view mirrors are vital and i was taught that you should glance them every six seconds. this helps a lot when driving near nurburgring ;)

• Audio book. Don't be a pervert and get audio porn.

Mix it up with some good song play lists and go back and forth

Lol I wouldn't listen to that while driving... I'm already a pretty bad driver. Plus I'm picking up my mom. Yeah I'm totally going to download fifty shades of grey for my mom.😑

• Take a big bottle of water with you. When you feel yourself getting a little tired, put enough water in your mouth without swallowing and hold it so your cheeks are a little extended. And that's it. Just hold it in your mouth. Your cheeks will get a little sore but if you fall asleep, your mouth will relax and you'll dribble water down your top which is bound to wake you up.
    I've never fallen asleep while doing this and actually found it woke me up more because I was concentrating harder.

• stay alert at all times and concentrate solely on the road. dont be scared of other cars but do be aware all drivers can make mistakes. i regularly drive 1000miles in one go and the same the next day to get to my house in bulgaria... espresso breaks help
    good luck x

a lot of people are saying take plenty of music with you... i would say be careful with choice. mellow tunes may ease you into sleep while faster stuff can make you drive angry. may be boring but perhaps talk radio or a news channel would be better for at least part of the way

Thanks again

• Break it up - Only drive 2 hours at a time - Stop for a coffee and take a half hour to yourself

• just listen to your fav music while driving and pay attention on the road, and dont talk on the phone while driving

• Here are a few tips:
    1) Make brief stops every 2 hours. Do not try 8 hours non-stop. Not even 4 hours.
    2) Do not worry about junk food or gaining weight or whatever, Just keep something to munch on.
    3) If you think you are feeling sleepy, do not fight it. STOP and rest / nap for 15-20 minutes.

• Before you go on a drive , just an hour before that , put on some meditation music tape and watch some motivation videos. You will feel better and drive being alert and careful. Take care of your safety.

• Just stay focused on road, take breaks, and drink a lot of caffeine. My brother drove like 16 hours from Iowa to NY because in 1 day because he was scared to stay at a hotel alone in the middle of nowhere alone lol

• Central cali from socal takes like 3 hours :o
    I get from SF to LA in a little over 4 hours if I speed at the dead of night.

Take little breaks and bump your favorite songs

• go buy some chocolate covered coffee beans

• Just listen to music or entertain yourself. I'm afraid sometimes because I've had relatives die in car crashed. But luckily my dad is like a pro at driving. And me, I'm meh 😂 but I'm still learning lol

• Take at least 4 breaks
    Too stretch, eat, drink, and relax

Also, make sure to have a fire soundtrack ready, because driving that long is exhausting

• Drive safe always and good luck

Thanks I already got to my moms house now I just need to do some stuff and drive back home... another 4 hours.

• Good music and take some breaks

• Stay hydrated, eat plenty of food, charge your phone, bring some music, tell yourself that everything will be ok. Don't slip on a porno vid. Good luck.

Woooow Lol I'm not listening to audio porn or watching porn while driving... what kind of person do y'all think I am. Shame on you ☝!!!

Be careful and thanks again

Thanks, you're welcome.

• Coffee... lots of coffee

• Umm
    How much do you know about your car?

• Take a 10 minute break every now and then.

So your legs can stretch and you don't feel sleepy

• Bring a bunny it should help keep you calm😊 and yea audio book like that one guy said

• Take me on trip I will drive for you 😊

• dont wear a choker
    you need air to focus
    but eat take breaks and you will be fine

• More from Guys
    10

What Girls Said 8

• Get some coffee and some music that should ease you up

• Relax, @Autum-Bunny.
    I have Traveled many Times a Far and a Good point in '8 Hours' and More... Take a few Breaks in Between so you Don't have any 'Bad' anything.
    Good luck and Think of Paris. I will be Right beside you, Funny Bunny. xxoo

• *have snacks and drinks at the ready - make sure they're already open before you drive so you can just dip into them when hungry/thirsty
    *rest breaks so you can stretch out
    *back pillow
    *talking to yourself - at least that's what helped my aunt whenever she felt tired. she was a traveling nurse.

• sleep before you leave :P
    music and take breaks
    keep your phone on fully charged in case anthng happens
    enough money
    would be best if someone goes along with you

I know I could ask this person but... umm it's too early for him to meet my mom and I don't know I feel like things will be awkward.

good on you
      so you didn t take the dude yea :p

Nope Lol

• Don't be too nervous or afraid, once you get going for a while with it I'm sure you'll feel more comfortable and it'll be no problem at all.

• Take snacks with you, so you don't fall asleep. You eat the snacks when you feel sleepy. It helps my mother at least. Perhaps it will help you.
    Good luck, and drive safe! 😊

• Play some ballads and sing your little heart out 😍

• Go to Starbucks and order a venti double shot on ice. It gets 5 shots of Expresso and while you're driving you won't get sleepy at all. But it you do get even a little bit of sleepy and feel your eyes drooping pull over and rest. If you're black don't pull over. The cops will most likely shoot you. also bring a pillow to sit on so your butt get stiff.