Do you think a backpack purse is likely to draw pickpocketers?

I want to get a backpack purse for my trip I'm going on in November. However, my dad keeps fighting me on it because he's afraid pickpocketers will take what's in my purse. I disagree with that, it doesn't matter what kind of purse you have if some wants your stuff of your info, they'll find a way to make it happen. Besides, I don't trust people especially in places I've never been before. I'm always alert, focused and paying attention to who's around me. So, I would never let that happen.

Anyway, I'm curious if you all agree with my dad or not?

Most Helpful Guy

• That's why you tend to wear fanny packs on the front.

Most Helpful Girl

• I just did a solo trip on Ecuador for three weeks with a back pack, but not the usual one and i didn't dress like a tourist either and my trip went swell. I say avoid that just in case. I wouldn't even take a purse honesty , dependimg on where you go they can cut it and run off with it like how they do in Thailand sometimes. Just use coomon sense don't be flashy and naive that's all. Where exactly are you going? Cause depending where your dad might just be over reacting cause a back pack purse isn't a bad idea.

What Guys Said 1

• Yes and yes. Handbag or at least something where you can see the opening.

What Girls Said 2

• Depends where you are going.
    I m in ny and dress/wear my usual stuff. I visit all diff. towns. Good/bad neighborhoods.
    May sure you look confident. Nothing that would draw attention. Know where you are going.
    I went to Rio. Was reading the guide book about pick pockets.
    Sat on the beach with my backpack next to me. The teen ran by me, grabbed my bag. I ran after him and he dropped my bag. Everything was fine.
    Just he alert. I don't think the type of bag matters. Just have an extra copy of your important doc. in case it gets stolen. It would be easier to replace.

• I wanted the same and I dont feel secure with backpack type purse, so I just go with a hand bag or whatever