My Halloween costume racist?

I wanted to go for a 70's disco diva look so I bought a pair of really wide bell bottoms, a sparkly long sleeve shirt with tassles hanging from the sleeves and some funky round shades with orange lenses, a pair of gogo boots and a bunch jewelry. However, i also decided to complete the look with a giant curly wig since my hair is so flat. I thought it would just make it look more like a girl from the 70's but my brother best friend said it looked like I was trying to be a black girl and I shouldn't wear the wig. But Im definitely not trying to be any specific race I just want to wear a costume inspired by a specific time.

Most Helpful Guy

• It's not racist. The whole butthurt thing about Halloween costumes is ridiculous.

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't think that's racist. Being racist is discriminating against another race. Putting on fake buck teeth and mimicking a beer belly to go as a "white guy" is racist. Painting your face black and wearing chains to be a "slave" is racist. Dressing up in stereotypical outfits is racist. Going as a disco era go go dancer is certainly not racist, and if someone is honestly offended by it, they probably shouldn't be so sensitive.

What Guys Said 10

• Who cares don't care what others think anything you literately do in your life is bound to offend at least a couple people

• Having survived that era, no, you are fine. It is not racist.

• it's only racist is you " black up" so you will be fine.

you will just look like a 70's disco girl

• If people get offended over that then they are way too sensitive and need to lighten up. Definitely not racist in my opinion.

• Everything is racist

• Unless you are wearing a shirt that says "fuck this colour"
    It's not racist alright.

• No its not racist.

• Your friend is a fool

• Halloween is meant for the unexpected. Just do it

• No of course not

What Girls Said 4

• The only thing I can say is that if you're not sure about something, and it makes you think twice, don't wear it or don't do it. There are plenty of things you can be for Halloween if you're not entirely sure.

Im thinking it is the wig that he thought was so bad because it is really big and just looks like an afro. I already bought all that stuff and it came up to like 60$ dollars so I definitely dont want to have it go to waste. I just trying to think of a different way to wear my hair than with the wig but I am coming up with nothing

• A 70s disco costume is not racist. People of all races who were into disco dressed like that.

• LOL... no it isn't. If anyone says it is... they are just being stupid.

• No. Some white people can have afros.