In a surreal sense, do you think 'love' is an overrated aspect of a relationship? With it being important but other factors being more crucial?

Most Helpful Girl

• This is a very interesting question. It kind of reminds me of arranged marriages in which the family, duties and responsibilities are extremely important, while "being in love" isn't. There is also a difference between loving someone and being in love with someone.

In modern culture, the most important factor of a relationship is the feeling of being in love and when that feeling wears off, the relationship starts to crumble. So maybe being in love is overrated, in the long run.

What Girls Said 12

• I really wanted to believe in love. I still try to, but the more I try it feels like a slap in the face. It's like the more you try to love someone, and the more you show it, the more the other person shows you it's not good enough. Maybe there is truth to the statement "love is the lie we tell ourselves so that we can continue to exist."

• Depends how you define love, I define love as all those other crucial bits filling up what I call a "love cup" when we are lazy and time passes us by and we forget to do the crucial things that fill up the cup, communication breaks down, resentment sets in, etc... but when we "love" each other and fill the cups, it goes smoothly. Doesn't matter if you're a parent, a lover or a friend there is a cup for each one, and each person has their own set of rules that define how it's filled... I know that through our relationship...

is it over rated, no... if the people I invest time in and they me to make each other happy and feel "loved" then it's underrated...

• love is not an overrated aspect of a relationship but just itself is not enough
    i think love is crucial since without it I don't think it would still work
    on philosophical note - define love?
    infatuation might be able to go without tho

• I'm not sure, but all of those other factors (honesty, respect, loyalty and back rubs) are what make me love him. Without those other traits I wouldn't feel the way I do so maybe they are hand in hand?

• Yep I think other stuff like loyalty and honesty are more important without those things there is no love.

• well, love is like sweets. We don't need it, but without it life sucks and its just a 'what's the point?' kind of feel. we get this life thing Once. might as well have a good time at this party amiright?

• companionship, trust, humor, responsibility very important. You have to deal with each other's jobs, neighbors, relatives, kids - lots of patience and good-will required.

• Love is a catch all for all good things that make a relationship good

• I think love is about a combines aspect of things (physical and mental connection)

• Definetly is overrated. But it plays a role in a relationship. As well as trust and loyalty.

• Perhaps if you just want to raise children together as a small business, it is. If not, it's first on a list of necessary components. Or maybe like the fuel that makes the whole machine work.

• Love was the most important when I was dating. But I will also add that the last time I was single I was 16 and I am 29 now.

I think love only takes you so far. Other aspects like communication/connection are more crucial

you can still love but those aspects stagnate. it happens in many relationships

Oh... I guess I just haven't gotten to that point yet. I still consider that all one thing (with trust thrown in there) and call it love.

What Guys Said 6

• Love for me isn't an entity but the combination that is created by the other factors if the work it is love - It is where the total is worth more than the aggregate individual sums of the factors - I had to google, the quote I was trying to think of was Aristotle's "'The whole is greater than the sum of its parts"

• Without love what is there, love is the strongest component in any relationship and that love itself takes multiple ingredients to achive, like a complex recipe that needs attention to detail to achieve. A relationship without love is like a car without an engine, don't plan on getting anywhere with that thing.

• Love is a red herring

• It's the only true and main ingredient of a relationship. Factors being more crucial are; lack of love or non existence of love. Relationships are of the love involved from two together. What could possibly be more crucial or important.

• No its not overrated in any sense.

• In ways, yes; in others, no