How to stay awake without caffeine?

I'm at work and dozing off. I need to stay awake for a few more hours.

Caffeine isn't an option because it has the opposite effect on me. Coffee makes me sleepy and so do most energy drinks.

• Walk around (I can't)
  • Talk to someone (there's no one here)
  • This is how (tell me in the answers)
  • I have no idea

Most Helpful Guy

• I put some thought into this, and I think the really only way when you can't be too active with talking to people is to change your mental attitude towards whatever you are doing. You have to treat it like it's the most fun game you've ever played before.

My reasoning is that if I go to a friend's house, I could stay up all night playing (or raging) at Mario Party and be perfectly fine. However, I could be the same level of tiredness initially and start doing homework and feel more tired faster. I'm still doing activity, but I'm not interested in one activity vs the other.

When I'm really trying to stay awake, I basically have to force myself to be on edge. That means being a bit weird and doing things like talking to myself, making jokes and laughing at them, singing to myself, whatver. I'm not saying you need to act like a person with split personalities, but I'm just saying try to entertain yourself and let yourself be entertained.

All summed up: Lower your standards for entertainment lol. It's all mental attitude. Take a laugh.

What Guys Said 42

• I do night shifts on a regular where I work (from 8:00pm - 7:30am - for a 5 day stretch). So, before my shifts, I will try and stay up most if not all night, the night before. Then that day of the shift, I'll go to sleep @ 9am and wake up around 4:30pm to be able to have some energy for the night. In practice then, for the week, I'll treat it like it's my day shifts and I sleep during the day.

Then I usually try and keep water handy and fruits like bananas and apples. They usually give a positive energy boost. Also, I try and keep my mind busy if I can't keep my body going. Try and stay away from sugars because they give you a short boost and crash you really bad after. You need ones that have sustained energy for you. Teas are good like ginseng or green teas.

• This is how: You slowly start sinking in your chair to find a really comfortable position. Then you figure that you're gonna damage your back that way, and you get soldier straight for the next 10 seconds. Then you rub your eyes a lot, cause they're hurting at that point of exhaustion. Then you rest one elbow on the table.
    Then you can occasionally fap with the other hand. Then, you either wake up and continue what you were doing, or you take a quick nap and then continue anyway.

(May not work for women :D )

And when you have no one to talk to. Don't forget about GaG, you'll always have someone in here xD

• sugars give energy. natural sugars are healthier and have less of the crash. vitamin b can give energy boosts

there are energy drinks but most aren't very healthy and are just loaded with tons of sugar.

i'd try natural sugars (found in fruits)

• Try thinking about something that really interests you, like... comics ;-) an occupied mind is less likely to cause you to want to fall asleep, as I suspect that you are fighting both fatigue as well as boredom.

• I'm just here to say, that I cannot fight my sleepiness and coffee and caffeine aren't helpful, if anything, they are detrimental to my sleep.

But what I always do when I'm bored, I'm philosophing, daydreaming, thinking about the purpose of my life, how my life has no perspective, no future etc..

When I was working in an IT job and was bored without anything to do, I listened to pieces of music and browsed on the internet around, read articles about the importance of sleep, about effects of coffee, read wise quotes, browse some random google pictures (raging call of duty kids, i do not want to get married, life of a programmer).

• www.court-records.net/.../miles-crossed(c).gif

Do something proactive like type/write/think of something that requires some thought but not too much thought so you can keep your brain active.

For example...

"cake, bake, fake... Spider-man once had 6 arms but because..." Just think of random things.

• You can try listening to some energetic music, or drinking lots of water, but there is a side-effect (you'll have to go to toilet more often).

• Eat something that causes you indigestion. The discomfort will keep you awake.

• put your feet in a bucket of ice water

• I wash my face with cold water and a very cold drink usually perks me up.

• Snack on pistachios or some other healthy snack, always kept me going throughput my work shift.

Not exactly sure what you can and vznr do though, not sure what your job is haha

• Have someone stand buy and to slap you if you begin to doze off 😜

• Talk on GAG for some time till you start feeling better. Then you can get bacy to your work and you can complete it.

• What do you work with? Are you allowed to bring things to work like books and anything you like to spent time on doing during work?

• You work as a cashier in a supermarket? Which one? I might drop by to keep you company ;)

• Clearly you just need to nap. I mean, if there's no one there... :-D

• Turn up the AC, throw cold water in your face, walk around a bit, that sort of thing.

• 1|0
  • Imagine a soft fluffy pillow and a huge comforting mattress keeping you warm in a cold room, works for me.

😈

• Take a pencil and lightly stab your arm whenever you start to feel tired.
    Make sure it's a pointy one, but don't go so far as to draw blood.

• Open a window so the temperature is lower.

• eat pizza or pasta or chocolate

• play video games sometimes works for me

• Look at a scary picture or a horror movie for like 10 seconds , you won't be feeling sleepy after that😂

• Grab 2 clothes pins and pin them on your eyelid so that way you can't close your eyes.

• Find something to clean while asking yourself if Penguins truly have knees or not.

• Veto

• 6 hour energy or mmm... that's all I know that isn't an energy drink. Alternative to coffee.

• Stand up. What do you do for work?

• cold air loud music

• More from Guys
    12

What Girls Said 24

• ravioli ravioli give me the formuoli
    media.giphy.com/media/e1zNzEJNM1WRG/giphy.gif

Seriously I need to know too because coffee gives me anxiety and I am always tired.

• No Caffeine Tea has a Bit of Caffeine, although the Package will Not... Admit it. Go for a Cup anyways to Refresh you, or just Some Refreshment of Something that will Revive You, @LadyTerror. Great "Pick Me Upper."
    Good luck. xx

• Eat something? That's what I would do when I worked overnight shifts. Eating a snack helped perk me up for a little while.

Also, if you can, take a quick power nap.

• I recommend, playing music, taking a cold shower (which you probably can't do), Think about something that makes you really excited for a few minutes (the adrenaline from the excitement will stave off sleepiness and keep your mind off of your sleepy state which leads to next point), Stop thinking about being tired! It just makes it worse!

• Try to think about something that really gets you excited and hyper.

Then if nothing some music, thise song might work. :D
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IicVkW3gMYE

• Tried green tea before?
    Also, if you wet your finger tips and eyelids with cold water it makes you feel more awake, although that's rather temporary so you might have to repeat it if you're planning to stay up longer.

• I'd think about awesome Halloween parties and what kind of movies to watch ;D

• Do some cleaning lol

• Hot chocolate usually works for me, or regular chocolate, or any other kind of chocolate 😋

• Why can't you walk around? I always walk when I'm sleepy.

• I'm not sure, damn coffee works for me all the time :P

• Do short sport stuff in between like sit-ups, push-ups, squats, lunges, ...

• Smell anything citrus. A candle, perfume, an actual orange - apparently for some scientific reason I can't recall that can wake you up.

• Orange juice. It wakes you up faster than coffee.

• watch tv. read. paint your nails. do you hair.

• Sugarrrrrr

Random bit of trivia...
      Sugar actually causes no hyperactivity/hyperness inherently. It's all placebo effect. The origin of it came from a 1973 book called Feingold Diet but no correlation has been found.

Eventually the idea became normalized though and kids were raised thinking sugar naturally causes bursts of energy. My whole life felt like a lie when I first learned the truth lol

@dangerDoge WHAT?
      Actually makes sense :') it never did shit to me... although Red Bull on the other hand

yes please

• Music

• hahaha I can t stay awake with cafferine

• Punch yourself in the face. repeatedly ('-' )

• Eating apples can help sometimes.
    Also eating pasta helps.

• No idea tbh
    I sleep enough so no idea

• Eat an apple :-) know it sounds weird but it works

• personally, i'd stab myself--- jkjk, i dunk some cold water on, and if coffee doesn't work, try tea? tea tastes good and can keep you awake.

• Stay busy... DONT LAY DOWN.