Pet skunks, yay or nay?

Pet skunks, yay or nay?
Skunks are mammals. They are most known for their ability to emit a deterring spray from two walnut sized glands, a spray so strong it can even scare away bears! They are mostly found in the Americas. There are several different varieties with different geographic locations and coat patterns. They have excellent hearing and smell, but have poor eyesight and live about 7-10 years in captivity. They are opportunistic hunters and their diet varies from:plants, fruit, insects, small mammals to other foods they can find. In the home, they should be given plenty of fresh fruit, veggies, and animal product protein. However, because they are new pets, there are still many debates on what ratio is best.

It isn't widely known at what point in history they were domesticated, but it seems as if Native Americans may have tamed them for vermin control. Later, surplus skunks from fur farms were rescued, bred, and it may have taken off again from there. The skunk community is small, and a qualified vet is hard to find for skunks. As pets, they require demormer, vaccines, and most owners have the scent glands removed, though this is prohibited in the UK. Did you know skunks try really hard to scare away predators before spraying because they only have enough for 5 or 6 sprays. Most animals won't attack skunks and the skunks coat is a big NO sign, warning predators to stay away. However, owls are known to eat them regularly and dogs attack because they are unfamiliar with them.

They are known to be easy to house train, are very curious, and if socialized properly, are happy members of the family.

"What a weird looking puppy.."

And for fun, some cuteness!

• Yay!
  • Nay!
  • Mayyyyyybe.. never thought of it before

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 36

• If you think about it, a skunk has almost no natural enemy other than man and cars.

My dad used to trap cats along the railroad tracks by his home in the country. One day he found a skunk in the live trap. Rather than drowning it he opened the trap door to let it out. The skunk was sleeping and ignored my dad. So my dad brought the skunk a bowl of milk. This began a friendship between my dad and this wild skunk that lasted for years. The skunk never had anything done to it to remove its spray glands. And it never sprayed my dad.

If only people could learn to live together like this skunk and my dad did.

Your dad would drown cats? Or did he only down wild animals he baited?

He lives out in the country next to a swamp and a river. There are a lot of wild animals out there. The cats kill off many of them. They are bigger murderers of wildlife than pack dogs. I used to have two cats when I lived by a national forest. It took those two cats to empty the woods around the house of all squirrels, dozens of birds and anything else they could kill. Ironically, we still had a bit of a mouse problem.

Hmm, cat's hunting is a problem, just domestic cats make a nasty dent in bird populations and small mammals too, so, I get your dad's desire to balance things out. It's intense to drown an animal though, considering that's a pretty shitty way to die. That's just how most people were back then though. In Of Mice and Men the guy's dog had too many puppies and he was gonna drown the ones he didn't want, people back then, so matter of fact.

• What a POLECAT...(sounding as much like Yosemite Sam as I can muster) sorry I couldn't resist. They are cute for sure, and I suspect that given the right environment they may make wonderful pets, however 1. my cats would never forgive me, and even when de-scented, they still have an odor, not unlike ferrets, and I'm afraid my apartment is just to small for such a big smell.

• My dad mentioned having a wild one as a pet, it never sprayed apparently. I think you can get it removed, if so I wouldn't see an issue if it had its shots.

• they are cute. i guess if you remove the gland that produces the odor then they may be a good pet. i don't know much about their temperament or propensity towards disease and all that

• These animals should be allowed to remain wild! We dont need to try to domesticate all the life around us!

• Their cute, but their not bunny cute.

• As long as the glands are removed, their is a huge skunk population where I live, walking around at night I can run into at least five within a half hour that I can see (who knows how many are their that I don't see) and that's my biggest fear is to get skunked by them because it sticks to everything and doesn't go away for weeks (I've heard it can linger for months even). But otherwise as long as they can be domesticated yeah why not. Though I think a raccoon would be better.

• Not for me, would be okay to watch one for another owner, such as a pet sitting gig.

• Well if you don't have to worry about them spraying then I don't see the harm in it.

I'd much rather have a racoon though.

• They surgically remove the stink sac... you are going to support this?
    Also when the airforce needs extra landing space they rent out that girls forehead. Eyebrows on freak.

• Never knew they made good pets but I could never have one with out removing the stink gland but they do look cute

• I understand skunks make excellent pets. They are all over the place here, in the wild. If it is dark out, our dogs are on a leash. We had one dog sprayed and it took forever to get the house to smell right. I surprised one and it raised its tail, and I took off! So did it :)

• I would be worried about the spray in the house

• Holy shit that girl in the first pic is so hnng

• I could enjoy them at someone's house, wouldn't want any myself...

• I'm good...

• Nahhhh

• I would love to have one (de-scented, of course), but they are considered wild animals where I live and are prohibited as pets. Not that I would necessarily let that stop me, but it would make it very difficult to obtain proper veterinary care.

• Im not geting a pet. To much work. They are cute though

• I love skunkies. They're so freaking adorable and they waddle when they walk! <3

• Probably not. I was hoping for my next pet to be able to fetch my beer from the fridge.

• Yay, but there claws are too big

• I would say nay

• If they get domesticated like cats / dogs.

• After one attacked my dog, I hope to put a bullet in every skunk I see.

Poor skunks. 😱

IT CAME UP AND ATTACKED! It was trying to make the neighborhood its territory. A neighbor saw it make a B-line right to my dog

lol, to play devil's advocate and mess with you, just like all dogs aren't wimps like yours, not all skunks are badasses

• Nah, I don't think so...

• I knew a girl got a skunk for a pet and it did permanent damage to her eyes when it sprayed her.

That girl never went blind but she wore corrected glasses for her vision.

Yeah i agree i know few houses up a guy had a racoon has a pet he had it on leash it was making all kinds of sounds. Hopefully he let the poor thing go cause it looked like it was not too happy with him.

Some people. Ugh, I hope he let it go too. I knew this girls who would take baby birds they found around their house vs seeing if mom and dad would come back, it never ended well for the baby birds.

• I guess they're kind of cute actually.

• Yeah I love Skunks I had a question about Skunks before

• I own 4 chickens 🐔 at my place... that's odd to some. But in my opinion no animal is off limits as long as they have received proper vaccinations and you love them

• More from Guys
    6

What Girls Said 12

• Ugh, they are cute...

• They're VERY VERY cute. But I don't think they should be pets, if they were domesticated, maybe. However, most people get their sprayers removed, which can actually make them sick and shorten their lives, I just don't think it's worth it.

• Only if the thing that makes them stink is removed.

• They are cute, but I wouldn't have one in a household with a cat, a dog and a child, in case there are accidents. If I lived alone with no other pets I'd love to have one

• I want one.

• Yay!
    They are very cute <3

• They're adorable oh my gooood ❤️❤️

• Nay.

I want a pet fox though.

• Nayy.!#noway

• Awww, they are cute. 😍
    I guess having one wouldn't hurt. 😅

• Soooo cute!!! I want one.

• Meh, at least they are good for self defence :P

True, maybe someone would train them, guard skunks XD