Should I try and file for unemployment?

Have you ever done it? And did it work for you?

my bills still need to be paid while I'm out of a job. Think I should go for it?

• Yes you should
  • No you shouldn't
1mo It's done. i have applied

Most Helpful Girl

• I'd say especially considering the circumstances of how you left your job you should. And that will take some pressure off while you search for something new.

Most Helpful Guy

• You should. Otherwise how can you pay the bills?
    But don't get comfortable. Treat getting another job like a job. Get up at 6am and put applications in till 5pm every day.

Another thing you could try which is a realistic option is become an uber driver.
    Uber has gotten pretty popular and seriously, all you need is a phone and a car and boom.

ahhh uber! thanks for the idea

Just remember that a lot of miles on your car will require a lot of maintenance and eventually you will go through cars so you have to not be sentimental about them. Having a car fund in your business plan is a good idea.
      But on the positive side of that, all car maintenance will be tax deductible because it's part of the running costs of your business

What Girls Said 9

• depends on where you live.

i have been on unemployment (or ei, for employment insurance, as it's called here); yes, it worked for me at the time, but there are rules.

for example, if you were fired or quit your job willingly, you don't qualify (with obvious exceptions, like a move to a new area or if you can prove either harassment or wrongful dismissal- and yes, they look at all your employment records, to try and catch you in a lie). ditto if you work for immediate family, along with a handful of other reasons.

if you were injured, you'll want worker's compensation instead.

• I haven't done it, but I think you're within your rights to file if you were fired. If you desperately need it and it's there, why not?

• I haven't done it, but it doesn't hurt to try while you're trying to find a job. :)

• I thought you were just waiting on the new work reference check?

• Definitely

• Yes. If you were terminated and worked there for a certain period of time, you're entitled to unemployment in most states.

• Since your unemployed I think you should.

• you should definitely try

• Would you prefer to be homeless?

What Guys Said 15

• Definitely get on Fun-employment, I did it when I got laid off. I don't know about your state, but here we pay into that out of our paycheck, and this is what it's there for. It takes a while to process, so call soon, like tomorrow morning🌇👍

• I didn't and it was a huge mistake! Accumulated debt, I'm still working on lol. Will be caught up end of the month but took nearly a year.

File, Toad mate, FILE!!!

• Do it! You contributed to it with your taxes, it is your money and this is what it is meant to be used for.

I signed on and claimed after I was made redundant at the beginning of the summer. The money took a while to come through but it was a big help for those two months I was unemployed.

• I know a women that worked 20 years and got denied unemployment for some silly reason

It's your money that you'll never see again if you decide not to take it. You don't get it back and it comes out of your pay. Your hard earned dollars being pocketed by some dipshit.

Absolutely apply

• sure you should. at worse they reject the claim

• Of course you should! Situations like yours is why unemployment exists, and ur taxes already paid into it, so use it!

• You are entitled to it since you were let go - You have to live

• I've never done it.

• Yes you should.

Have you done it?

No I haven't but I know it takes awhile to process the sooner you do it the sooner you'll get it.

• MAKE SURE you have them withhold taxes and file as soon as you can.

Have you done it?

Wow just 20% :/

Yeah. Generally people that make the money I do don't find themselves without a job so unemployment does next to nothing for us.

Also, whether or not you get approved depends on how long you've been out of a job, why you're not working, etc. That's another reason you'll want to apply immediately in case you have to go in or speak with someone on the phone about it and wait for them to contact your previous employer, or whatever other hoops you have to jump through.

• if you have enough money to pay bills and live your life then do it

• yes go for it

• Of course you should, everyone needs a little help at one point or another.

• Fuck it, If not you some other person will be collecting checks
    Try to work off the books

• Just go get a job at a bookstore or Walmart or Subway. It's good for you and healthy.