I've accidentally spilled some tea on my laptop and several buttons stopped working, what should I do?

1mo Okay, I've tried drying it with hairdryer, and it worked for most of the buttons (5 buttons didn't work before the drying: v, c, s, w and space button). Today, I'm glad all of the buttons started working except for letter V, so I'll still have to use virtual keyboard to write it. I hope it will start working soon, or else I'll have to take it to the repair service.

Most Helpful Guy

• By now it should be dry, or close to it. There may be a small amount of moisture still in there though.

If you have some compressed air, try using that first. It probably won't work, but it's easy to try and the least intrusive.

I'm not real familiar with laptop keyboards. With a regular separate keyboard you'd want to pop the keys out. That way you can get in there and clean it good.

Besides the tea, there will also be a lot of other crud that has accumulated over the years. Stuff like hair, food crumbs, dust, and various unidentified stuff that you aren't sure if you want to know what it is.

I'm pretty sure you can do the same thing with a laptop keyboard, but you might want to check with the manufacture or a repair technician first. You can pry the keys off with something like a screw driver. Don't use anything sharp. It's easiest to start with an outside row and work inward.

After the keys are out, clean everything good with paper towels, Q-tips or something similar. You can dip the paper towel or Q-Tip in water if you need to. There is nothing electrical in there, so water won't hurt it. The electrical stuff is very well insulated from the mechanical switches by a thick membrane. If you had sugar in your tea, it might cause stickiness which might require a bit more water. If you use any water, make sure it's completely dry before putting it back together. Compressed air or a fan will help with this.

If you pop the keys off, you might want to take a picture first so you know where all the keys go.

This video shows popping the keys out (about the first 20 seconds). I would not go further taking the small parts apart like the rest of the video unless you are comfortable doing things like that. Hopefully just popping the keys will be enough.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCYOiK9QP08

Thank you :)

Thank you so much :D

I just thought of something easy. I should have thought of this earlier. I think this only works if you have a numeric keypad, not with the numbers along the top. It might be different on a notebook though. Won't hurt to try, and it's cool to play with if you haven't done it before.

You can use the ASCII codes. There is more than one ASCII table, but this one should work.

http://www.asciitable.com/

There will be columns labeled Dec, Hx, Oct, Char.
      You'll only use the Dec and Char columns. Ignore the others.
      Start by looking for the character you want to type in the Char (red) column.
      Find the number in the Dec column that corresponds with it.
      For upper case V that will be 86.
      For lower case v that will be 118.

Now press the Alt key and hold it down
      While holding Alt, type the number on your numeric keypad.
      Now lift the Alt key.
      The character should appear.

If you are curious about the numbers 128 and above, those are special characters that work with some applications and not others.

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 18

• Take your computer to the shop if it doesn't recover after drying ourt, and quit drinking tea.

• call tech support

• Try your best to dry it out and if it continues to not work you should probably take it to a repair place

• Don't use a blow dryer. Hold the power button for 30 seconds that should completely shut off the computer. Then if you see liquid vacuum it up if you don't let it dry for a day or two. Using rice on a laptop would be pretty useless so don't do that.

• Depending on what kind you should be able to switch the keyboard out.

• Hair blow dryer.

• Nice I just spilled a cup of coffee too but only on desktop.

• Down power and leave it to dry in a warm place for a few days

• let it dry...

• Unplug it from the electricity and take it to a computer shop to have it repaired.

• turn it off and let it dry

• Unplug it,
    Spray it with warm water,
    Let it hang dry for 2-3 days with a fan blowing on it.
    Plug in,
    Surf.

• Try turning it on and off.

• can you pop the buttons off to get under them and dry it out

Ok, I'll try

if you can't get access use a hairdryer but keep the heat very low and be patient

I will, thanks :)

• Don't use it till its completely dry.

• Try giving them coffee instead.

• Turn it off and stick it in the airing cupboard.

• Buy new one.

What Girls Said 4

• Let it dry honestly, there's nothing you can do. You may want to try taking a rag and wiping your keyboard. They make rags specifically for laptops and the keyboards in case liquid gets on them. Otherwise, you may just have to send it in to be fixed.

• Turn it upside town to see if any of the tea comes out and take it to be looked at.

Though if you can't afford to take it to be seen and fixed. Then best thing to do is buy a keyboard that you can hook up via USB or wireless keyboard.

• dunno ain t a computer geek
    but I guess you ll have to change your keyboard

• Get it repaired, or buy a new one.