What/Who has had the biggest impact on your political beliefs?

Tell me what has shaped your beliefs and why, not looking for sarcasm just open and honest answers

Most Helpful Guy

• My fundamentalist christian far right family. They always preached to know your facts, be on the side of liberty, do your research, be open minded, uphold the constitution, keep the well being of society in mind, tell the truth. Ofcourse they never practiced what they preached, their idea of doing all these things was to watch Fox News, always vote republican, and shun anyone who wasn't white christian and republican. Trouble came when I really did start learning, being objective, being open minded, paying attention to the constitution, thinking about all of society, etc., that was the day I became iredeemable satan spawn in their eyes.

Haha, this was funny :-)... but also sad. Are you still able to talk to your family? Or is it like... war now? I mean, you know, some fundamentalist christian families choose to abandon such family members as you are one and completely exclude them.

@BlueCoyote We still talk. They just have to say 9 hail mary's after I leave and cleanse the house lol! No but seriously, they got over it for the most part. I'm still a satan worshiping tree hugging liberal commie minority lover in their eyes, BUT I'm THEIR satan worshiping tree hugging liberal commie minority lover.

Hahaha hilarious! But it's good you guys still talk :-).

Most Helpful Girl

• Just watching the news and thinking for myself. I like to think about everything and analyze what it means. Nothing anyone tells you usually means exactly what they're telling you. You have to dissect it further and analyze it through multiple lenses. That's what i do and it's helped shape my political beliefs. On a spectrum I'm center-right.

What Guys Said 20

• That's quite hard to pinpoint. My biggest source of influence were certainly my parents. They are both very well-educated and well-read in a large number of fields. I also happened to be an insanely inquisitive child, asking questions aaaall the time. Not just about easy stuff but also about complex things. For example when I was 8 or 9, I heard something about Einstein's theory of relativity somewhere. So I went straight to my dad and asked him what that is ;-). It must have been fun but also quite exhausting to have me as a son ;-).

Another big influence was my own education. Contrary to America, not everyone can attend high school in Switzerland. You have to be at the top of your class and high school (Lycée) itself is extremely tough and challenging (even more so than university actually). On the upside, I learned a ton of things during my high school years.
    Furthermore, pursuing university degrees in the field of humanities also influenced me a lot. What I love about history (one of my two majors) for example is the fact that you need to read about and deal with a lot of different theories and approaches. Math is just about math and chemistry is about chemistry but history is about everything... society, culture, economics, politics, art, music, science, you name it. This way of looking at the world helped me to understand how seemingly unrelated topics are inter-connected and how seemingly simply problems are often much more complex.

In terms of famous people, I would name two German guys: Karl Marx and Immanuel Kant. Both of them shaped me a lot in the way I look at the world.

Immanual Kant is a G.

@Overthrow You should start with this video here. It was made by the "school of life". That's an educational organization founded by the famous Swiss philosopher Alain de Botton (he is also the one speaking in the video). I really like their videos... if you're interested in philosophy, you can find more of their videos on their channel. I think the video summarizes quite nicely what Marx is all about and it perhaps also debunks some myths about him. What most right-wingers don't understand is that Marx has nothing to do with 20th century dictators. One can criticize his ideas of course but he wasn't some kind of crazy revolutionary. He was first and foremost an economist and a philosopher who tried to understand the world around him. And even if not everything he wrote is applicable to our time anymore, I believe his major ideas are still very much true.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSQgCy_iIcc

Thanks! ^_^ I'll check it out later.

• my upbringing. probably one of the biggest being going to a Quaker school. they preached from day one being tolerant, loving, open minded, kind, accepting etc.

the also instilled in us that education was always the key. don't accept something that is said just because they say it but verify it, compare it, research, etc

• George Carlin

“Most people seem to have been indoctrinated to believe that bullshit only comes from certain places, certain sources: advertising, politics, salesmen – not true. Bullshit is everywhere. Bullshit is rampant. Parents are full of shit, teachers are full of shit, clergymen are full of shit, and law enforcement people are full…of…shit – this entire country. This entire country is completely full of shit, and always has been. From the Declaration of Independence to the Constitution to the Star-Spangled Banner, it’s still nothing more than one big steaming pile of red, white and blue, all-American bullshit. Because, think of how we started. Think of that. This country was founded by a group of slave-owners who told us all men are created equal. Oh yeah, all men, except for Indians and niggers and women, right? I always like to use that authentic American language. This was a small group of unelected, white, male, land-holding, slave-owners who also suggested their class be the only one allowed to vote. Now, that is what’s known as being stunningly and embarrassingly full of shit. And I think Americans really show their ignorance when they say they want their politicians to be honest. What are these fuckin’ cretins talking about? If honesty were suddenly introduced into American life, the whole system would collapse!”

• That is a very hard question to work out because my politics would be to the left of the rest of my family - I don't recall anything particular just during my teens it became obvious my leanings would be probably at the left extreme of centrist. In US terms probably a progressive in the Democrats whereas my family would probably be centrists Republicans.

• I believe all the good people who should be running for President hasn't
    had their chance that would include :
    Paul Ryan
    Bernie Sanders
    Gary Johnson
    These are the people we need in the White House not the 2 clowns
    running against each other Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton.

• Mikhail Bakunin, Noam Chomsky, George Washington, Benjamin Franklin also greco-roman ideals of democracy and stuff like such as 'The Republik by Cicero. I dont like to subscribe to one single school of thought or ideology, i take some of what i like from various philosophies such as libertarianism (mainly skepticism of aurhority), individual anarchism, i like tribalism too.

• Real life experience, tons of research, college, scientific thinking. Lots of shit helps me to shape my beliefs. That's why I don't bother arguing online. Because you cannot convey years of learning into a paragraph to some idiot on the internet.

• David duke. He is the only honest politician in the United States. He talks about real issues facing Americans and cares about the American people. Despite his past, for almost 20 years he has been a changed man.

If I lived in Louisiana I would be voting for David duke this election cycle.

• For me, my military service. Working for the government certainly teaches you how it operates. For example, while deployed I stripped a lace on one of my steel toe boots. I go to supply and ask for laces (these boots cost the government about $320, Gore-Tex steel toe waterproof). Supply girl says she can't help me without a note from the 1st Sgt. I go see the 1st Sgt. He tells me he can't authorize me replacement laces.

So he authorized me another pair of boots ($280 this time.)

• Coming sense.

• Voltaire the French philosopher has had a huge effect on my political beliefs, as has Gorge Orwell, Ayn Rand, Yevgeny Zamyatin, to name a few.

• humanity or the lack of it in this world keeps me firmly on the left

• All politicians, they have proven to me their untrustworthy, they lie more then lawyers, they are incompetent and scummy, there are a few good ones but way to far few sadly

• British Army service... I take a dim view of all politicians , they are professional , polished , liars. Choice is merely an illusion in politics , they all work for the same Cartel.

dont think corbyn does but everyone hates him

@DonRomeo and if you re read my reply you will see i said before blair... ie, before new labour which was as far right as thatcher.

@wankiam Ah... right again then!

• My moral and religious upbringing. I get my inspiration from all the great people who have lived before me.

• the founding fathers are my biggest influence... they warned us against a 2 party system and they were totally right... both parties can kiss my ass

• Ron Paul
    Stefan Molyneux
    Walter Block
    Thomas E. Woods
    Murray Rothbard
    Sargon of Akkad

• not terribly into politics, especially South African. so not really anybody.

• Political beliefs? Robin Hood, Zorro etc, and Simply Red lyrics! Alice in Wonderland. as a kid. Then Anarchists. Tupac Shakur. Pablo Escobar and Gacha. Che Guevara. Monty Python! Physicists, especially Einstein, Hawking, Feinman, Newton and Gallilleo. Later still: The Matrix and Fight Club. A Greek philosopher from the 80s, and PASOK/Papandreou (Sr). Rory Bremner, Nietche (I refuse to spell his name right), Clement Atlee, Lord Beverage, and the soldiers of WWI in the trenches who called a truce against orders, and played football in No Mans Land at Christmas with the guys who would later be ordered to kill them.

Amnesty International before it was taken over by Feminazis. Lord Byron. Even a couple 'gangsters' I knew personally, but I've taken just the good bits! Victims of society and government. But most of all, actually, the infinite stupidity of public consensus, and the Animal Kingdom. Im an Anarcho-Primitavist misanthropist. Parts of Buddhism have influenced me too. This list doesn't include everything, but you get the picture: Im a Nativist humanist who believes in taking care of the downtrodden, taking responsibility for our actions and ignorance, and being violently punnished for not thinking for ourselves. Im also, perhaps somewhat paradoxically, a Neo-Conservative. And I believe there are 2 forces in the human world: Stupidity, and Evil. Everyone is somewhere on those scales. I will choose evil over stupidity any day of the week. (Evil has an excuse. Stupidity does not).

My favorite quote: "Only two things are Infinite; the Universe... and the Peoples' Stupidity. And Im not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

• My experience in starting and running a business has shaped me the most. I saw the country quite differently once I began paying taxes and tried to adhere to a mountain of gov't regulation.

What Girls Said 2

• My Father
    My Mother
    My Teachers (some of them and not all their ideas)
    Tariq Ramadan
    Moncef Marzouki
    My Law studies
    Mehdi Hassan

• Bakunin, Engels and Marx.