What makes a person truly evil? Are they born that way or did their environment make them that way?

Most Helpful Girl

• First ask yourself, "What is 'good, and what s 'evil'?"

Every villain assumes that their cause is one for "good".

Have you ever read "Utopia"? There is a famous passage that asks a question about crime. If a child was taught only to steal food whenever he is hungry, and never knew that stealing was wrong in the first place, then did he really do anything wrong?

The definition of a "lie" is "Intentionally conveying a falsehood". This means, if the person truly believes what they are saying is true, then they are not lying, even if they are not telling a truth.

When you consider all these factoids, you'll have your answer. "Evil" is knowing right from wrong, and taking joy in intentionally doing what you know is wrong. But who decides what is actually right, or wrong?

Is it wrong to eat meat, because all cows eat grass? Or is it wrong to eat grass, because all lions eat meat?

Really, "good and evil" are non-existent, man-made conventions designed to limit and control. There is no such thing, only "right and wrong", and the definition changes to suit the situation.

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 3

• I believe the environment plays a huge role in a person's behavior. It would be rare to find someone that was "born truly evil." Your experiences are what make you the way that you are. If you were "born evil" but had a great childhood, you're likely NOT going to be evil. How can one be evil if they had an amazing home life? If your childhood was awful at first but got better, then, for a while, you might be evil, but "recovery" is possible.

For example, I'm going to bring up the documentary "Child of Rage." It is about a young girl who was abused as a baby. She remembered it, and her anger from what happened causes her to lash out and make the wrong decisions. She once killed baby birds (intentionally) and threatened to kill the family that adopted her. She became evil because of the abuse. Then, she started to get better. She went to therapy and learned how to love. She's no longer evil. Her environment changed, and she eventually realized that, so her behavior changed.

I don't know of anyone that was born to be evil. Do you? Odds are, if someone is violent, harsh to others, or disconnected from the world, then they had a bad upbringing. To give another example, I know a man who said he was severely abused as a child. He then became an adult and now abuses dogs and humans. From my understanding of it, his environment did not change when he was young, so he never truly got better. He kept that anger and pain, and channeled it onto others.

Again, in conclusion, I believe the environment has a large influence on a person's behavior.

• I believe people can in fact be born evil, but there environment plays a bit of a role. Some of the best people come from the worst situations and are completely different than the environment they come from and the people they were raised by. Others have great circumstances, yet are still mean for whatever reason.

• I don't think they're born evil but are influenced more by that kind of thing.

What Guys Said 3

• people aren't born evil. it happens to them

• A mix of both

• I believe both can be true