Why do people care so much about having 4k resolution?

For me I don't get why so many guys are going bat shit crazy for having 4k resolution. Mainly due to the fact that many things at the moment do not work in 4k resolution. Sure the new ps and xbox say they will be in 4k but it won't truly be that at all. Then when it comes to tv's being in 4k that means shit when the actual shows you watch are not running in 4k resolution. It's going to be a while before anything will truly work in 4k resolution. Sure in the future it probably will be worth it but for now it's pointless so we are y'all going crazy for it?

1mo The only reason why that bugs me is due to the people that think anything that isn't in 4k resolution isn't worth trying.

Most Helpful Guy

• Americans can't even stream in 4k. You'd need a good internet connection for that.

I dont get it either but 8k is around the corner, so yay?

Most Helpful Girl

• where i live, telecom providers are already offering tv in 4k.
    my man and i don't have a tv, but he loves it for gaming.

(me, i really don't care lol)

What Guys Said 29

• Well on PC, many things can achieve 4K resolution 60 fps max settings.

And the ps4 pro and Xbox Scorpio also should be able to handle 4K 30fps at least.
    Chances are the new systems will have to upscale content to 4K, but it's been reported that these consoles will be able to handle 4K uncompromised.

I like 4K, because it the ultimate quality right now. If you stream or upload to YouTube, to see you videos in top quality is the best. Also, even if your fave shows aren't in 4K resolution at the moment, they will still look better on a true 4K tv.

With HDR, wide color gamut, and 10 bit panels, your favorite regular shows and games will still look better than on a non 4K tv.

• This exact same thing was happening 12 years ago with HD - HDTVs were very expensive, were often not even really 1920x1080 (tons of "HDTVs" had panels that were 1280x720 or 1366x768, and had to scale most HD content), and there was little HD content back then. But broadcasters and content creators won't invest in the newer, better formats unless consumers widely adopt the means to display them.

Thus, we aren't going to get a lot of 4K content until there are enough 4K TVs in people's homes. But 4K TVs have come WAY down in price VERY quickly, and almost every TV we've installed this past year (I work for an A/V company) has been 4K. Hulu and Netflix have 4K content (including Game Of Thrones!) and most new movies are available in 4K.

For the past 10 years or so, most Blu-Rays came from a 4K master - and some from an 8K master. 35mm movie film has an effective resolution of 4K, so older content will max out at 4K except a handful of movies that were shot on 70mm film, such as Lawrence of Arabia, which can do 8K, but most newer movies are being shot with 8K digital today. Even with movies, film has mostly been replaced except when they're intentionally going for scenes (or a whole movie) with a "film look" where the lower resolution is intentional.

TL;DR - 4K content is coming quickly, and today's 4K TVs are fantastic and not much more expensive than regular HD unless you're doing 75" or larger.

• *shrug* I don't know it's nothing special. I can see the difference but I ain't going to buy no 4k monitor. I picked up a L1942S for £20 and never looked back (don't judge me).

The only thing I care about is the Zen CPU, AMD need to hurry up I want to see them benchmarks

media.giphy.com/media/QDK1pCI43lGhO/giphy.gif

• LOL you are so funny omg XD and ikr!

It drives me bananas when people say something is crap just because it's not 4k res.

• I can tell a difference in 1080p and 4k. I have a LG G3 phone than can record 4k. Burning stuff to DVD from my phone.. I just do 1080 though because there is hardly anything I can play it on, and the files are huge. The laptop will only play the audio from a 4k file. Oddly enough.

• Graphic whores , they really enjoy the eye candy and want to play at the best resolution possible? These kind of people are really picky and ignorant. I don't mind 4K (for movies mainly). I hear that most pcs are having a hard time hitting native 4K, even Scorpio and pro.

• Well.. on pc gaming, if you have a large screen, it's easy to notice the pixels. It may seem really dumb, but it is true. When you have a screen with the same size, but you increase the pixel density, it is much pleasurable to read. Watch photos... GOD, even to scroll facebook, it is a HUGE ASS difference. Like for instance, just looking at the miniatures of the people's profile pics, or even in here on gag, the miniatures are soooo sharp. It really is a breeze. Reading is very pleasant and the anti aliasing isn't noticeable. It really is smooth.

As you see, I'm not even talking about gaming.. just normal use of computer...

If you ask me about TVs, then yeah, it's pure bullshit.. just like the 3D thingy..
    In here, we don't even have 720p television.. nevermind 4k lool

For me running a game at 4k res wouldn't be possible since having a strong enough internet to handle that isn't possible where I live. Plus it would take too much power performance.

Unless you are talking about browser games :\

All the pictures that you see are stored in your computer locally. They are just rendered for the other players. let's say that a player buys a skin. Then the information about that player is sent to your pc, and your computer renders the local image relative to that skin.

(Yes, you have all the files, you just can't use them xD)

Yeah I can't watch youtube videos at 1080 resolution due to how unhappy it makes my internet. So the video will take a bit to load. Though my pc can handle 4k and 8k videos just might lag a little bit but the internet says fucked that. XD

• I kind of agree, but 4k displays are so cheap now you can might as well get one and let the content roll in.

• I don't care. on TVs it's only really worth it when you have a very big one and for gaming it just takes way too much performance.

• I agree.

I have been thinking about getting a new tv and I can't see the benefit of 4k. Depending on the screen size and how close you will be sitting to the tv your eyes won't even be able to see the difference. Then like you said, 4k content won't be standard for quite a while.

Another thing that irritates me is "smart tvs". I just want a good picture, I don't want a tv with apps, Internet connection, and a web-cam. =.=

• The jump from 1080P to 4K is astonishing. I have a 4K TV and I watch a lot of 4K programming on YouTube, Hulu, and Netflix. Yes, 4K is not mainstream right now, but it will be in the future. I don't think it will be a fad like 3D was.

Although there are no 4K programming on live TV right now, most 4K TVs upscale live programming to 1440p. It's not quite 4K, but it's a lot sharper and richer than 1080P.

If you have a 4K TV right now, you're pretty much future-proofed because slowly but surely, 4K will eventually become mainstream.

• because it is the newest thing

• When my 1080p Panasonic plasma dies I will buy something new. I dread LCD or OLED after plasma...

• Status, showing off, where to use money?, techsavvy and last but not the least idiots

• There are plenty of games which support 4k (on pc obviously), even youtube has 4k support already with some youtubers already uploading in 4k. Pretty much all of the new movies have 4k versions available too.

So no, it's not pointless at all lol.

• I guess they don't want to appear old school

• Like most technology, there are always those consumers that want to be "first in line" with the new stuff.

• Isn't it useless too? I don't think the eye can actually tell the difference.

• Why do people care?- i can't answer but i do know that 4k is very much the future. If you look at the adoption rate , it's faster than of 1080's. It won't make huge difference on small screens like small phones but TVs and large monitors are completely different story. Have you seen with your eyes? I like it.
    And most content is 4k now, and even 1080 was up scaled at some point.

• Picky, picky. 🙄
    And it's certainly not affordable to everyone. Apparently everything I own would look like junk to people like that...

• they all secretly want that 4K porn thats why.

• It's a gimmick. I'm still happy with my 2011 Visio..

• Itzz da pornzz kitte ;) gotta be ready

• Bragging rights: it's basically the male version of a $700 Versace handbag.

• because we are PC gamers and running games at 4k resolution is not a problem for us :D

• Because people are suckers for gimmicky statistical numerical bullshit

• 4K is amazing, but 5K is where it is at.

• People really gotta get a serious life there's so much more serious stuff going on in the world and people are concerned about 4K resolution

• I've heard of no such thing

What Girls Said 0