Do you know why Nintendo doesn't bother with making powerful consoles?

Yes there is a really good reason as to why and I think it's a smart choice.

Most Helpful Guy

• They focus on the gameplay, the experience over high end visuals. But considering the tech at their disposals these days, they should consider a major upgrade. Because even good tech is cheap these days.

Basically that but the whole reason is a bitter more. Basically Satoru Iwata noticed how people started losing interest in game around 2002-2003. That pushing for the most advanced hardware was not the most effective. He felt like gaming became far too exclusive and that the industry was more concerned with the technology behind the console and not the games themselves. Thanks to making changes that's how the DS and Wii came into existence and why Nintendo believes it's best to come up with new ways to play than to focus on the strongest tech and graphics.

So if they kept being like everyone else and believing in having the best graphics and technology the gaming industry would have died down a lot by now.

Yep, but times are changing. I mean we're venturing into VR now. There are phones capable of running it. That's how powerful technology has become. I mean, if they want to keep making games the way they are, let them, but they should also slash their price on their consoles, its become overpriced.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think powerful is subjective. There is more to a game then just graphics like gameplay and content. When I first started playing video games as a kid I didn't think, "Wow this system looks so powerful!". I thought, "That looks like fun. Can I play?" and proceeded to drive my brother insane until he handed me the controller. Games are suppose to be fun.
    When I think of Playstation vs. Xbox I see two angry when arguing over who has the bigger dick. When I think of Nintendo I picture things like Mario flipping those two angry men the bird or a family playing video games together both are equally pleasant images. They don't have to better so long as they are different and most importantly fun. http://wiiudaily. com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/iwata-hands. jpg? x74487

What Guys Said 21

• To all the people who play video games on consoles and bitch about power and graphics I just have to laugh. If you really cared about power and graphics you'd build a high-end PC. You buy consoles for the exclusive games and the community. Don't bring in the graphics and power argument when you're gaming on a so-called powerful console that's made obsolete by even basic gaming laptops.

I think it's entirely hypocritical and you need new arguments.

• Because Nintendo just makes profit from games and consoles, so they need to be sure they can make profit since day 1.

Still, that doesn't mean they should abandon the idea of making exclusive home consoles. The Wii was an example.

I think they shouldn't have used the name "wii" on the WiiU project.
    "Wii" was synonymous of real innovation and social gamming evolution, a new way of play. They burned the word when they anexed it with a system that, for me, destroyed what the good things they were doing with the DS's and Wii.

My strategy would be:
    - Keep on both markets, home and portable.

- On home i would not invest on top graphics (i need the profit, remember), but i would invest crazy on online gaming, interactivity and social gaming, mostly games to chill, casual, real fun stuff, laugh, get nice experiences and surpass the competition on everything related with online intertainment.
    I would also invest heavily on having those worldwidecreative, independent developers sharing their creativity on an online platform for the home console, i would want them connecter with nintendo like no other compay does it, also supporting new studios ideias and startups, from software to hardware.

- On portables, do what they are doing. May seem a threat to the home console, but no, because the experiences are totally different. A nice % would even probably buy both systems, because their differences.

It's a mistake to put half the foot out the home market, for me.

I would also start Nintendo Animation movies company, i would want to make pixar sweat :p

• there playing it smart because of how dream cast went belly up. thats a good example for anyone i think.

• They're focusing more on creativity and replayability. Nintendo games also have all kinds of great music. Mario games have fun music, and the Zelda series has wonderful music for both dangerous and casual places. (Old Zelda games also had dungeons in the basic shape of the theme or boss. And without it being obvious unless you looked at the map.)

Making games with Nintendo has been one of my biggest dreams for most of my life!

• To make it cheap for the parents to buy to their kids, thus enlarging their potencial market.
    And to force developers to focus on other aspects other than graphics.

• i think they sometimes get lost behind what people want. I am interested to know whether they even conduct focus groups because they often miss some things that elsewhere become standard. They're supposed to be all about being social but nintendo still thinks that that is exclusively reserved primarily for physically together. Their online platform is a bit shit to say the least and they don't seem to have invested in this area as heavily as they should have.

People want a powerful gaming machine, as powerful as they can make a console. The purpose of a console is convenience which is exactly why people prefer consoles to pc's. Of course it won't compare to an expensive pc or laptop but that's not the point. They want it to be optimised but with enough horsepower to keep it looking relatively up to date.

• I'm sure there are multiple reasons for it, not just one.

I know it's not the one you mean but their target audience and games they made definitely has a lot to do with it

• There is more to games than graphics.

• I think Nintendo focuses too much on being innovative with all of their quirky gadgets and accessories.

All the while ignoring the most important basic qualities, like online services. Let's be real, if a game doesn't have online multiplayer nowadays, it is doomed to fail. People don't play offline anymore, and if they do, they beat the game in a week, and then stop playing.

^^^The single biggest reason Nintendo is falling so far behind. They even said something about not competing with other consoles when they released the Switch. It's like they are pouting and saying "well I didn't wanna be the most successful gaming console anyway! Hmph 😒"

• they misjudged the community in my opinion back in the days of gamecube and thought people wanted something more fun when really people were into something "ultra realistic" even though its a video game. more than that, they wanted something that felt mature and nintendo was left behind as the kiddie console.

then, they realized they were too far behind the competition but did hold the most original IP so they doubled down on the fun/cartoonish quality as well as focused on making a lot of handheld games. the hope being that a regular gamer would have an xbox and a nintendo or a playstation and a nintendo

honestly i think they just need to go full mobile using virtual buttons for things like pokemon but thats just me

• I'm not sure, but they need to learn that they can't survive the console wars based exclusively on their old glory... they should learn from Sega's mistakes.

• Because they would rather be the only console in the casual gaming market and avoid competing with Sony and Microsoft in the more hardcore gaming market?

• So they can produce for cheap and upgrade constantly

• because it´s more affordable, as nintendo is more focused at the younger people and the "quality" of a game doesn´t really depend on good graphics anyway.

• Nostalgia

• Because they suck?

• whyyyyyyyyyy?

• Yes, Sony and Microsoft have made better products for regular gamers, especially hardcore. Nintendo is basically for the casuals who want to play different small games from one disc/cartridge.

• I heard but forget what is it.

• i always wondered about that. but i dont know, but im curious to know

• yo i got no clue

What Girls Said 1

• Nah.