Why do people get tattoos?

I don't have any but thought about it so I'm just wondering what made you get one?

Most Helpful Girl

• It's one of the best ways for self expression.

What Girls Said 16

• They find Tats cool, Intriguing Or... Part of the Crowd.
    I know that I Would not Mind One, hun, a small Heart or Butterfly on my left Sexy Shoulder.
    Good luck and Great question. xx

• I have one on my arm I got it because i loved a design and I wanted to get my sleeve started. But I know some people get some for meaning to them. I have a cross tattoo and I got it for religious meaning.
    Tattoos also are a beautiful form of art.

• People want to add things that show off what they like or their personality.

• I want to get lyrics under both boobs and a handgun on my right rib. Not allowed to but if I ever did :) Prob won't tho, lol.

• I have three:
    A tribal on my hip for my Maori family "crest"
    A star constellation piece on my back for a particularly difficult time in my life dealing with depression
    A UV (invisible in normal light) butterfly on my wrist with my deceased sisters name entwined

All of mine have meaning to me, and as long as I can dress professionally at work or wear a formal dress without displaying them I'm good

is it more expensive to get a UV tattoo? And if so is it a lot more? Just curious.

@j8k322597 not by a lot, I got it in 2010 and it's still really bright under UV. I think it was $120 and it's fairly detailed

• Well for the original purpose it had very important cultural and traditional meaning to the people who created it. ('-' ) but due to Cultural Appropriation that is Very common here and in other usually European countries people do it to commemorate some important event or aspect of themselves, or just because it looks cool.

• I don't have one already but im going to get one for sure. I always liked and wanted tattoos i think this is mystical, personnel, kind of really lowkey and unique. It's art in my opinion. Expression of thoughts and feelings.

• I haven't gotten one yet, but am planning to get a few. Not too many though, I think that looks trashy. I like the fact they could have meaning to me while other people just see a tattoo. A piece of art, on my body, forever. I don't know, it's kind of comforting.

• I don't have one and have been debating getting one, because of in a way desecrate my body. I would get one and it would be mostly because it's a way to show how much I love. (Crappy explanation). It would be a heart beat, with breathe written and then a flat line, and close to my heart. To symbolize that one's who've died, that I love will always be close to my heart

• I got my first tattoo when I was 17, the reason, a family tradition. Every girl in the family gets the tattoo when they turn 17.

• don't have any but I find them very sexy on a man. they almost are a requirement to date me

• I'm going to get one for the struggles I've faced and what it took and is still taking me to get out of it

• Because they are willing to suffer for their values and that suffering is physically symbolized by the pain of the needles piercing your flesh.

• To express strong feelings in art form.

• its beautiful

• me and my man are almost covered. I'm catching up to him. my best friend who passed, his name, we have matching quotes, I have a sleeve for all my kids, I want to get my sky line fished and the lost goes on. don't get me started on him he's only got his legs that are untouched and half his back...

What Guys Said 5

• I have 3 tattoos in total and every of them has meanings/values for me.

Ancient Turkish soldier tattoo on my arm motivates me in life and makes me feel pysqically strong, helps me to lift more weight hehe.. 😎

"Mighty Heracles" letter which is written on my upper chests also motivates me in life and makes me feel strong.

And the last tattoo I have which is written on my inner arm.. is a date in Roman numbers. Meh just don't ask its story D;

Tattoos are cool things for rea, if they are something which makes sense to you.. they motivate you in life and gives you strenght.

• Mine are all military tattoos. Got them because they have a lot of value to me.

• I'm accomplishing something and want to get something to commemorate it. The tattoo won't be related to what I'm accomplishing, but I'll know why I got it.

• I like the art and i like the way it looks on me
    Tattoos dont have to have any special meaning for me i just like to see them
    Only ones i dislike are nude tattoos thats something i would never get

• They're cool to have, but I wouldn't have one