Why should the south secede from the Union?

I just need help with this social studies question. Give me good reasons on why the south should secede from the union. How would it benefit them, etc. GIVING MHO. PLEASE HELP ASAP.

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• They seceded from the Union because Lincoln was elected president. Lincoln was a president who did not speak for the South on most issues, and they did not feel it fair that they would be ruled by someone who completely disagreed with them. South Carolina ushered the secession from the Union. When looking more at South Carolina, the majority of their economy was agricultural and depended on slave labor. The north had many abolitionists who went to the south and sparked slave revolts (such as John Brown's raid on Harper's Ferry). The north also violated an agreement between the north and the south that stated that the north had to turn over any fugitive slave (the fugitive slave act), which caused the south to be enraged. In addition, the population of the north was incredibly boosted by the fact that they freed blacks and took their votes, contributing to the outcome of the election of 1860. So the north was clearly against the slaves of the south, which, as I've stated earlier, comprised a majority of the economy there. Without slaves, the economy of south carolina would completely be drained. So what did they do, secede from the union so they would not be under the control of a government trying to destroy their economy. This ushered the rest of the southern states to secede to protect their economies and form the confederacy.

Hope this helps.

0|0
    0|0
Sponsored

What Guys Said 1

• because, the values of each region of the country are different, including ideologies and political theories, while in the north there are a lot of democrats, in the south there are a lot of republicans, if the people disagree with what the north dictates they have a right to oppose it and do everything in their power to make their will known, including seceding from the union

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 1

• Because they could be slave owners in peace. The south's economy relied heavily on slave work on plantations so the north's talk of outlawing it would harm their economy.

0|0
    0|0