Do you speak another language beside your native one? if so, what made you fluent at it?

To me, my mother tongue is Arabic but I do speak English very well thanks to working hard on practicing with English native speakers sometimes and English learners in the other times
what I do believe in the whole journey into learning any language is that learner should be acting like a child who says things without caring about his mistakes if he started talking.
to be honest, one of the most main reasons that made keep posting in this forum is my desire to improve my writing skills, even though i knew it very recently and fell in love with it :).

i will get back to you after seeing your interactions.

Most Helpful Girl

• I speak French & German, my native language being Luxembourgish, because they are both official languages in my country. I also speak Latin because it was taught in school, alongside English & French. I speak Japanese after having been there a couple of times and Dutch because I live in the Netherlands.

Oh and I know some phrases in Gaelic because it's the language my grandfather grew up speaking but I'm nowhere near fluent in it

Most Helpful Guy

• i think if you speak language A from birth and then spend time studying language B in that country or in your country with people who are native speakers , you are certain to learn it if you put the hours in , even this of distinctly average intellect or with medium levels of motivation will learn all languages eventually if the circumstances are correct. the only way you wouldn't is if you hang out in an expat community and never need to use the language.

What Girls Said 5

• My native language is Czech. I lived in Germany for 5 years so I became fluent in German as well. I attended an international school for all of highschool, so my English is very good as well. I took Spanish for 6 years, I'd say I'm decent at it but like not fluent at all. So yeah :D

• my mother tongue is kreol but i speak French and English pretty well tho

• yup, I grew up watching bollywood films, so I became fluent in hindi and somewhat urdu as well.

interesting. do you practice with some Indians or just watching.
      because what i believe is there difference between your ability to understand the speakers of the second language and your ability to speak the language fluently.

I used to practice by myself I guess.
      These days though I speak urdu with my siblings even though they don't really speak it

• Tamil, Sinhala, English and a little bit of Malayalam.

• I'm a native Brazilian Portuguese speaker and have learned both English and German through language courses. It's not the cheapest way but it's effective and objective.

What Guys Said 4

• English is my first language. I speak Spanish almost
    fluently. I was born in Texas, grew up in New Mexico
    and have live around the Hispanic community all my life.
    So I just picked it up.

• can't even speak my native language.

• My native language is hungaryan but I can swedish and English too

• besides my native language i speak English fluently
    and i can understand a bit of german and french
    currently learning norwegian for fun
    my native language is dutch