My toothpaste makes my skin peel. Why?

I use Crest Pro Health. My family has used this brand numerous times and I never saw an issue with it. For several weeks now, on some days (not all), the skin on my inner cheeks will peel away within a half hour of brushing my teeth. (Warning: Gross) Sometimes, I'll end up with a mouthful of my own skin, and I'm usually on the bus by then so I have no choice but to eat it.

Why does it do this? Is it normal for the skin in your mouth to peel like that? Is it not my toothpaste, but the tap water I drink daily? At this point, either of those possibilities are likely. I'll brush my teeth, then drink tap water, so I'm not sure which one causes that skin reaction.

Most Helpful Guy

• Are you sure it's your skin and not the film of the toothpaste? Many whitening toothpastes leave a thin film in your mouth. I would suggest switching toothpastes to see if that's the issue. If you're still getting "skin peeling" then it's most likely something else.

The toothpaste is blue. Yes, it is my white skin.

Thank you

What Guys Said 2

• perhaps your reaction to fluoride is more extreme to others. it is after all industrial waste so try a citrus based toothpaste instead

• Stop using that toothpaste!! And tell mom about it

What Girls Said 1

• Do you bite the inside of your cheeks, it could be that and then the water just loosens the damaged skin.