Would you ever leave a tip like this at a restaurant?

Would you ever leave a tip like this at a restaurant?If you were short on money?
Or as a joke?

What would you think if someone left it like that?

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 18

• No, because I'm not a shithead. Lol.

• I wouldn't do it even if I was short on cash, because that's just the type of person I am. I typically give 20%. These waitresses/waitors, though some may have shitty (pardon me) attitudes towards customers, have enough crap to deal with, because even if the customer is a jerk, the customer is always right. (Not that I believe that crap, you know.) You don't do something like this and think it's funny, though maybe I did smirk a little. I wouldn't want this type of treatment and I can guarantee that most wouldn't.

• Lol wouldn't do it intentionally like that.
    But here we don't tip, so not a problem.
    The US tipping system confused the hell outta us though.

Yeah it's confusing to me as well.

@Luci92 that's me right where I'm not needed when you need me.

@pervertedjester hahaha of course

• Nah, I'm not that mean. I may leave less than 15% if the service was that bad, but not like that.

• Nope, I wouldn't do that. Our bills are plastic anyways so they probably can't be folded like that, and they'd know I'm giving them at least 5 dollars (no one dollar bills here).

If I was short on money, I wouldn't be going to a restaurant anyways.

• The Fan Affect.
    My Roomie, who is nearly a Perfectionist, always Leaves, Not only Big Tips, but Fans it Out when He and I Go Out.
    Good luck. xx

The Rest is a "Joke." Fanning is more classy, the Rest is not the Best. xx

• I don't leave tips. Not common in the UK at all and illegal in china when I lived there so yeah. NOPE

• That seems like a dick move. Tipping isn't really a thing though here anyway.

it is a dick move but tipping is a huge thing in the uk so on that point i disagree.

@wankiam It's pretty interesting! Like, if the bill for something isn't perfectly rounded up, then I and the people I know tend to leave like the 20 or so pence but I' remember that I never even knew tipping was a thing until I got into my early teens and started seeing American sit coms. I'm from the West Midlands so not THAT far from you, so it's pretty odd 😊

that is odd... i have worked around brum many times and visited many a curryhouse... always tipped? the only time i dont is if the food is truley awful with very poor service but thats quite rare

• You can leave tips like that? In all the restaurants I go to they usually hand you those small folders with the bill and you just put the tip in there

• Lmao that's messed up. I'd only do that if they were rude.

• Ohhh lmaooo I had a good laugh from this
    No I would never do it lmao

• Tipping is not a thing in Aus.

Not sure what I'm gonna do when I visit America XD

• I never leave tips, let alone when I'm short on money. The trick in that picture, it doesn't work with our currency, lol.

Why doesn't it work?

Because if I put a bill, it shows that I'm already being generous. I don't need to fake it like in the pic above, to make it look like a lot.
      Small prices like tips and parking payments for example, are in coins.

yeah makes sense come to think of it. Our paper money only starts with 5 digits, not 1 like the dollar.

• Well in my country sometimes there's not even a tip in stores like McDonald's or smth. But I wouldn't do this at a restaurant. Maybe if a friend worked there yes, but only as a joke and then I would give them what they deserved

• If I was short of money I would just stay home.

• This is an ASSHOLE move! If you can't afford to tip don't go out!

• i LOLed at this xD but on a serious note don't do it!

But what if I'm short on money?

Personally i would feel really bad, i could never leave a tip like that. I think if you're short on money, then maybe it's best not to go to a restaurant, it's just rude to leave a tip like that

But what if it's not a full fledged restaurant but simply a good place to eat at?

• Some people do it to purposely offend the server if they were offended themselves.

What Guys Said 14

• if i was short on money i have to say i would not be going to a restaurant. i like to live within my means

• That only works at strip joints

• Maybe if I knew the waiter very well yes :D 8)
    Otherwise not... certainly not if I planned to go there again :o

• First off where is four dollars a good tip? McDonalds? I would never leave a shitty tip if you don't have money for the tip don't go out.

But what if you're tired and don't want to cook at home? What are you supposed to do? Starve?

LOL this thread is funny. xD And I agree about just buying something simple and cheaper from a grocery store, or even buying a sandwich from some place.

But as for your original question here:

>>>>>>"First off where is four dollars a good tip? McDonalds?"

There are restaurants where a single person can eat a meal for less than 20 dollars. That would make a $4 tip more than 20%.

@dissolute_dog t was more of a joke than actually serious kinda like this whole thread lol.

• Tips are disrespectfull. Restaurants/and others should pay employes what they actually deserve for their actual services.

The only problem with that would be that the prices of the meals would rise accordingly. The whole tipping system exists so that they could sell the meals at the relatively affordable rates that they do. If they had to pay waiters a bigger sallary, less people would come to the restaurant due to the elevated prices.

That seems an excuse to try to justify their tactics to maximize profits.

But that's how restaurants survive.

• I leave a good tip

• We dont tip here.

• Never! I always have a minimum of $250 cash with me so it won't happen.

• I don't tip either way so no.

• Yeah where i live we don't leave big tips.

• Hilarious! I wouldn't do it personally.

• Cool. I like it.

• I would do that if the service was absolutely horrendous.

• I never tip.