What should a small person do when then see someone being beaten in a hate crime?

My parents witnessed a trans person being beaten with sticks. If I saw something like that, I can't attempt to intervene because I would be easily overpowered. I can't call the police either, where I live, they are the most notorious abusers. Is there something I can do?

Most Helpful Guy

• There isn't much you could do to intervene, though afterwards you could attempt to help the person being hurt.
    Never really considered what would happen if someone couldn't help, I've always just immediately intervened as while I'm not the strongest, I do have a great pain tolerance and stubbornness.
    Though sometimes, just the symbolism of attempting to help but failing can do wonders for the psychological state of the person being abused.

I suppose I could attempt to talk the person doing the beating down. Helping them afterwards is also a good idea.

Most Helpful Girl

• Learn martial arts so you can actually step in?
    I'm doing Bujinkan Ninjutsu & it's completely irrelevant how big or small you are for this!

That's also a good idea.

I honestly think everyone should know martial arts, not only does it add to your posture & self control but it also gives you an additional sense of security!

What Guys Said 9

• A small person with a gun and concealed weapon permit is bigger than a giant without these things.

• You can try to call the cops but they probably won't move for a hate crime, indeed.
    I'd say: make as much noise as you can, blown the car horn, yell, shout. Other people will come to see what happens and abusers don't like public.

• call the cops and record the incident/try to break it up.

I gave reasons why I couldn't do either of those things. Is it really that hard to read the details?

my advice was general since your details put you in a fucked overall position.

• I would interfere and fight with whoever is getting bullied because that is not right. If things dont go well the bullies wouldn't have to worry about life in more...

• call the police and record on cell phone. Almost better to record on cell phone than call the police, because you need that evidence to catch the people.

• None of my business. I'd move along.
    Record it and get it to a news outlet. That will shift oublic opinion against the abusers.

• call tumblr.

• Well, you can always just complain about it.

• Where do you live? Of course you have to call the police. If you're safe yourself you can start shouting too. But don't take any silly risks.

Would you call the police if you saw a black person being beaten? The police simply won't help some groups. Even if they do, it's likely they'll end up in a jail cell.

Turkey.

Admittedly that's a rough place to be and corruption is quite widespread. But police would help black and trans people the same as they'd help anyone.

What Girls Said 1

• Call the police anyway? It's their job to help that person regardless.

Then take video of the entire thing situation.

It's really going to do more harm than good. There is no kind of legal protection for LGBT here.

I'm pretty sure there are still laws against beating people in the streets