What do you think about the former USSR?

• Evil
  • Glorious
  • Necessary balance of power
  • What's the USSR?

Most Helpful Girl

• Are you Russian?
    My mother is an Estonian national. I will share if you want, but only if you have a vested interest.

No, I am just interested in what other people think about the state, because so many people say it's bad when they only know of Joseph Stalin, and yet, they don't even know who Vladimir Lenin is or even Gorbachev

@UdontNeedtoknow I don't know if that is an unconstiutional restriction.
      Most people (not you maybe) but most people would panic, some may theoretically be hurt or worse. The constitution does not address whether you are smart or not. It is meant to be a document which protects people whether they are analytical or as dumb as a board.
      Your rights end where mine begins, and I prefer to keep my well being while watching Batman.
      I have to get to bed-gotta work in the morning. But let's continue. and know that I enjoy this:)

10/4 i have to wake up at 5am... good night. ;)

Most Helpful Guy

• talk to someone who has lived under communisim. they are the most pro American folks you will ever meet. in fact i find it funny that its usually wealthey white liberals who have never worked a blue collar job that espouse the merrits and qualites of communisim...
    unless you hate---- #1 freedom of speech #2 freedom of movement #3 freedom of the press #4 right to bear arms #5 right to private property #6 right to life and the pursuit of happyness #7 freedom of religion etc. etc.
    if you hate those civil liberties and other not mentioned, then you might like communisim.

I don't think i'd like communism if I hated civil liberties.
      But I'd definitely hate Stalinism

@UdontNeedtoKnow

"talk to someone who has lived under communisim. they are the most pro American folks you will ever meet."

Successful (wealthy) immigrants to the US, yes. The ones (mostly poor people) who stayed behind are nostalgic for communism. People will be biased towards whatever system worked for them, even if that system is unsustainable in the long term (which both communism and unfettered capitalism are, luckily the US doesn't have unfettered capitalism).

@wankiam ok... i am super drunk on a Friday night but i will ttry to answer some of the replies i have had on communisim... fuck communisim and fuck socialisim. any form of goverment that tranfers power to the individual and not a brown noseing buraucrat is best for all people... god bless the American CONSTITUTI0N !!! fuck any form of authoritanisim.

by the way i have a ton of respect for those former citizen s of the ussr who now live in a different world. to have the world around y0u collapse and all you know turn to shit in a year (1991)... thats true revolution and i remember reading about it as it unfolded when i was in the 8th grade in junior high school... then the L. A. riots happened... that another tale for another day. by the way fuck black lives matter!!! ALL LIVES MATTER FOR GODS SAKE!!!

What Girls Said 4

• My parents and grandparents were born in USSR and I know many about it as long as my country was former state of USSR.

My mom told me that in middle school she was taught a poem about Lenin and his praising. Students from school were taken to the gardens and they picked fruits and things like that, as if it was part of education. They studied Geography in a wrong way, teacher of my mother told children the secret that map of the world was way different than they were taught in schools.

There was anti-western oropaganda and everyone believed that western world was evil. People couldn't watch American movies, cause most of them were censored.

Actually, USSR made decisions instead of people, like for example they had a rule that Thursday was a day for eating fish and they bought fish only that day. Seriously.

In the last years, there was high crime level, my dad told me that when he was teen he used to have gun cause everyday he met robbers and killers in the street and police was corrupted.

It was awful. The time of Gorbachev was milder but economics was in the worst condition.

I am happy that I was born in independent Georgia which is way more bright and developed than back then in dark years.

• Necessary balance of power

• The counterbalance of the US power

• Stalin was evil but USSR was not bad as an idea (during Lenin).

What Guys Said 5

• i had huge interest as a youngster and now i own property in bulgaria so i know that western propaganda of the 70s and 80s was bs. the people are amazing

• I appreciate the fact that they fought against Nazism, but they were part of an equally evil form of government/society.
    The USSR caused more death and problems than the Nazis.

• Not evil. It was corrupt, it was unnatural, it was unsuccessful and inefficient, but it wasn't evil... I don't see too much evil in the world... ISIS is evil; the Nazis were evil; North Korea's leadership might be evil. Stalin... I don't know if he was evil or not, but the USSR wasn't evil. Just corrupt.

Stalin was just as evil as Hitler. he killed almost as many people, most of which were his own citizens err comrads.

@UdontNeedtoknow You might very well be right. I don't know much about it so I'm going to accept your statement as most likely true.

• As part Lithuanian, I cannot say I particularly love the USSR

• I love Russians even though they probably hate my people.