What are some basic skills/knowledge that you think a person should have in order to be considered a functioning adult?

I think there is a certain level of capability that any person should have with regard to daily life by the time they're out of their parents house. If you're 23 and all you ever eat is cereal or take out, sorry, but you're not an adult.

Some basic skills/know how that make you a functional adult:

1. Being able to cook the basics... you don't need to be a gourmet chef but you should know how to cook eggs, make a decent pasta, and fry up some chicken breast. Basically, be able to put together a few wholesome meals.

2. Being able to change and/or pump up a flat tire, check your fluids, and pump your own gas (yes, I seriously know people who don't know how).

3. Knowing what product to use for what cleaning job (and, you know, regularly doing it).

4. Being able to sew on a button or hem overlong pants.

5. Knowing how to do your laundry properly.

6. Knowing how to fix basic stuff like how to clean our clogged drains, fix a leaky toilet or patch up a hole in your drywall.

Are there any that you guys would add? Any you disagree with?

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes.

I want to add:

Dealing with emotions/love/stress so we know how to handle ourselves and have outlets and this might reduce mental problems... A lot of people don't know how to cope and go crazy! How to stay calm. Highschool emotions are nothing when you become an adult...

College Prep, How to apply for courses, different options available, how tuition works, etc.

I am 24 and just learned there is such thing as online only classes, my high school really did not prepare me for life after.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think you're right on all ideas, I watched a news clip a while back that highlighted how little today's college kids know about these things, I was shocked! But waaaay back when, we HAD to take home economics which taught most of the home life basics. Some things that seem old fashioned and out of date actually did serve a purpose.
    On a side note, I only eat cereal and Ramen that comes in its own bowl... but not because I don't know how to cook, it's because I hate to clean up afterwards 😉

What Guys Said 19

• 1. Can do
    2. Can do, but I don't change my own tires. Firstly, my jack is one of those Mickey Mouse screw jobs that I hate. Secondly, it's just soooo convenient to call AAA. As for changing oil and sparks and wires and distributors, can do but I don't. Again, it's just way too convenient to take it to this garage which is literally within walking distance of my work. Another garage is within walking distance of my house. Both are inexpensive, the mechanics are honest, and it's sooooooo convenient.
    3. Can do.
    4. (Hanging my head in shame)
    5. Can do.
    6. Can do.

Now, handling your finances is something that I can't believe wasn't mentioned! Paying bills, making budgets, paying taxes, saving, investing, etc. This is in my opinion more important than all other things previously listed.

• 1.) makes sense
    5.) yeah, necessity
    3.) well it is important when you actually have your own place, but that makes sense (although you didn't know that out of your mother's vagina that's for sure)
    4.) Ehhhh.. Useful, but not a requirement

2.) I don't even have nor need nor want a car. I have zero need for this knowledge.

6.) isn't that what specialists are for? I'm not a fucking plumber.

• They are all good things to know, but I don't agree with all of them being necessary for being an adult. I'm 60 and I just threw away a chicken breast that I got from neighbors who moved. I had no idea what to do with it.

7) How to balance a bank account correctly
    8) Know how to read a map
    9) Know how to do your own taxes
    10) Able to recognize all the scammers who are out to get your money
    11) Already saving for retirement

If you own a home - a whole bunch of stuff

You're 60 and don't know how to cook a fucking chicken breast? Dude... that's kind of sad...

Why would I need to know how to cook? I ate out most of my life, and sometimes had a sandwich or something at home. To you it probably just seems normal to cook, but there are LOTS of people who literally never cook. I met a guy once who was almost 30 and he had literally never eaten at home before, not so much as a bowl of cereal.

• The sewing part I don't know. But I believe everyone needs some basic financial literacy. Without that you are fucked as an adult.

• Forest skills and woodcraft, especially a knowledge of herbs. Skill with a bow and sword. And skill with horses.

www.councilofelrond.com/.../bakshi-strider.jpg

• They should know the value of time , the value of money , the value of relationship. they should know how to be kind , honest , caring , loving compassionate. They should good communication skills , confidence and an ability to negotiate. They should have goals in life and be willing to live their life with purpose.

• Knowing how to make money to pay other people to do those things.

• A man should know how to fight, and a woman should know how to bandage a wound

• Being able to excel at a paying job!!!

• Being able to start a fire.

• no such thing as being an adult.

• Disagree with point 4. I never needed that and I never will.

• I learned all the above plus how to fix electrical sockets before I turned 15...

being an adult has to do with being a family man. mature and responsible.. humble caring and a law abiding citizen.. then there's the party side lol

• Money management.
    Time management.
    Reasoning skills.
    Literacy.

• Discovering their purpose in life. I don't mean like finding a career. I mean figuring out why you were born. They say the greatest question in life is "why are we here." Well I know the answer. So you can discover it.

Sorry to burst your bubble but I don't believe there is any reason we are here. We just are. That's kind of the beauty of it... we get to create our own meaning.

Oh you haven't burst my bubble. I know exactly why we are here.

• Quality dick pics ;)

• Not playing mind games in texting, or if you have time to read it reply

And reward good people

• Do your taxes or at least have all your papers organised and ready for your account / have money saved

• I agree with all that. Basic life skills are something most lack. We are witnessing the softest generation in history in the west that is incapable of doing anything. Just look at college kids and their safe spaces and microaggressions.

What Girls Said 1

• -Know how the world works
    -How to make money
    -Have a open mind
    -Have social skills
    -Live life to the fullest