Is it disrespectful to wear a hijab if you're not muslim or middle eastern?

Im puertorican and i was doing some thinking. i feel like i want to cover up from head to toes just cause im insecure.. my hair is very thin and damaged and i can't afgor d extentions at the moment i just feel like being fully covered... that way i can leave the house without being scared i usually stay home and isolate myself cause im not fully comfortable with myself.
Would it be disrespectful for me to wear a hijab?

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• Wearing a scarf on your head isn't exclusive to Muslims. In the old ages, Christian women used to hide their hair. And in the 50's there was a phase of fashion where women put a scarf on their hair as well to look rich.
    I've never heard of a Muslim woman get offended because a non-Muslim wore a scarf, being a Muslim myself.
    However, if it's for insecurity problems it might just not be your best decision as hiding yourself won't fix the problem. You can wear a scarf, but do it with confidence! :D

What Guys Said 11

• No.. lol. Muslims don't have a monopoly on head scarfs. My grandma used to wear a head scarf when she went out, Hutterite women wear them and I'm sure plenty of other cultures do as well.

• It seems a bit extreme maybe a head scarf might work for - There must be plenty in Puerto Rico, nice colourful ones

• I'm sure in some places it might be, but overall I'd say no.

Though Muslims don't have a monopoly on head scarfs women were wearing those far before Islam was ever a thought in anyone's minds they just took it to a whole other level.

• no its not. im a muslim and i'll say any girl from any religion can wear a hijab

• Well it's a head scarf after all , not disrespectful or anything

• Depends on intent.

• No it's not disrespectful last time i looked this is The United States of America, not a Muslim Country. Wear want you want your an American living in a free world.

• Wear a cape instead ;)

• No, headscarf or Hijab, whatever you wish to call it should not offend anyone

• Do whatever you like

• It's disrespectful to yourself for not having self confidence...

It's not a lack of self confidence but rather some women do it according to what they believe in being either religious or personal values. Some women prefer not being exposed that much of feel comfortable that way. Self confidence is deeply installed inside someone's mind and it will affect the way we perceive yourself not the way you dress.

Sorry! I saw she was insecure, but I guess we got to understand her situation where she's kinda having very thin hair. I'm not sure if she's losing the hair... It could be very scary to see yourself balding especially for a girl. I'm waiting for her response.

@IJWTD-AFML yeahhh i have bald spots and very thin hair

What Girls Said 9

• Hijabi women never felt offended with it. They actually appreciate it.
    Hijab is not only worn by us Muslim. It was worn by women even before Islam.
    Even Virgin Marry covered her hair.
    s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/.../...a5467b4c1a.jpg

• Not so much "D" for Disrespectful, But... Dangerous.
    Too much "Controversy" out there Today, ISIS lurking, Madness as well, as you know. I don't Feel it would be a Good Deal for you to Do this. Play it safe.
    Wear something a Bit More Fitting that is 'More' your Style so you can feel More "C" For... Comfortable.
    Good luck. x

*Scarf, hat, and weather too is getting colder at least in my own area here.
      I wear sun glasses during the day anyway. Just a helpful suggestion. xx

Np thanks for the advice!

Oh, happy to help, and U go girl. xxoo

• If you're not Muslim and you wear a scarf and call it a hijab, then yes, that's pretty backwards. It's not a hijab, it's a scarf. Why would you choose a random work from another culture and use that to describe your scarf? Why not choose the japanese word for scarf or the Spanish word? Besides choosing random words, Muslim women and Islamic influenced cultures are not the only cultures that have scarves for modesty... so why describe it with the word hijab? I just don't understand that bit of this question. If you want to wear a scarf, wear a scarf, it's your body and your money.

• A scarf on the head isn't something only muslim women wear. And it doesn't have anything to do with the middle-east (muslims are from different ethnicities and natinalities).
    It's not disrespectful. Orthodox christian women tend to wear a head scarf, some women from jewish sects do and even wear burqas.
    To be fair and honest, the head scarf has nothing to do with Islamic religion as most muslims tend to believe. But it's something that women wore many centuries ago and still do according to their beliefs, culture or traditions. So if you want to cover you hair whether you are christian, muslim, jewish, hindu or whatever you want. You do you.

Yay ok :) so im defibitely going to start weaking scarfs

Yeah my hair is thinning badly inclding body and biotin didn't work it make me break out ...

Ah crap! I think you should see an expert on hair follicles and other problems like that.

• You can wear whatever you want but not everyone is accepting of hijabs and you may be opening yourself up to stressful prejudice issues and ultimately more attention not less

• Of course its not disrespectful. This is coming from a middle eastern Muslim. I don't find that disrespect at all. Do what you want :)

• maybe just wear a hat

• Wear a scarf instead.

• I'm muslim and it's definetly not an issue at all :)
    If you feel better in a hijab it's cool