If You Thought Someone Was Dumb, Would You Ever Tell Them To Their Face?

Just curious. Would there ever be a situation where you'd call somebody dumb, stupid, or an idiot if you genuinely believed they were? And I mean to their face, not like in a text message or chat. And I don't necessarily mean it has to be said in mean or rude way.

• Yes, some people need to understand they just aren't smart or make good decisions
  • No, that's mean and I don't believe in insulting people
  • Only if I don't like the person
  • Other (Explain)

Most Helpful Guy

• Yeah I call out idiots on the tube, or cyclists lol.. Pleb or muppet more so than stupid or dumb.

Most Helpful Girl

• Only if they give me a reason to be rude and insult them

What Guys Said 23

• only if i really cared about them. i feel like its not my job to educate other people especially in this modern time with all the internet and technology that we have. why would i even bother with people that i dont care about?

if its a person that i do care about im going to be straight up with them and tell them when they did something stupid.

• Does it help in any way? Or is your aim to make them shut up?

Most of them won't believe you anyway: en.wikipedia.org/.../Dunning%E2%80%93Kruger_effect

s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/.../...7ad7209709.jpg

• only if they really piss me off. usually I try to hold back and just forget about them

• I'm not going to go out of my way to insult someone like that... I can talk to them about a bad decision/judgement call they did but no need to insult their entire being.

• No such thing as dumb - There is a possibility they are much better than me at something else, book smarts isn't everything.

• There are different types of intelligence in this world and if you are basing your opinion on someone's intelligence based on how they look then you are the stupid one.

There's other ways to base someone's intelligence other than just looks and I don't believe I singled out looks to be a reason to call someone dumb, either.

• If they're a nice person then there's no reason to tell them. They contribute in other ways. If they're an ass hat I have no problem telling them.

• That's just asking for some trouble lol.

So what? So you avoid saying things just to avoid confrontation?

@Winrey700 But you shouldn't censor yourself just to spare someone's feelings.

It really depends on the context and your type of personality. Telling someone that you think they are stupid without knowing them well enough or without a good reason is plain disrespectful and insulting, even if you try to rephrase it into a polite way. It's already impolite to be bashing on someone's intellect. They may be the smartest person in your district who is just pretending to be stupid. Or, they may have a gun, and you just called them out because you think they are stupid, which makes you the stupid one if they have anger issues. Most people do not react well to insults like that. On the other hand, if you meant to say "give constructive criticism to them" instead, then I would understand. Otherwise, I think it's just unnecessary.

• It's beyond being extremely rude thoughts like that should not leave your mind. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but some should be kept that way or altered.

• Well yeah I am a honest man and there are people I said "Stupid/Dumb" in their faces. at least I gave them chance to see what they really are and fix theirselves hah! 😎

• Without hesitation if someone is a genuine idiot they really need to be called out on it.

• Depends on their attitude. If they were rude and saying stupid shit to me, then I would tell them that they are stupid.

• If what they're doing negatively impacts upon my life, you're damn right I'll tell them.

• No, that is what the internet is for.

• I would, but if they couldn't read lips then they wouldn't know what I'm saying..

• only if I'm either in an argument with them or if they're my friend and i'd just say "dude, you're so stupid! haha"

• No... just ignore them

• No. Needless conflict.

• *looks for Bill Engvall's "here's your sign"*

• Yes, Yesterday I called a guy a "fucking idiot" at work. He started yelling at me again over a company policy screw up that I can't change and that I have no control over. Sometimes you just have to push back...

• If I ( needed) to , yes with out hesitation.

• Yes if what they did pissed me off or was alarming.

• If the person is that stupid, they likely consider themselves very smart. so no use doing it.

What Girls Said 8

• I think some people need it. In school I used to tell people that all the time when they asked me to help them with their homework. If someone was stupid with reading, I'd tell them that so they could learn how to read better, same with punctuation. But there's only one girl who was genuinely a stupid girl and she was the only nice cheerleader at my school. I told her she was not smart with learning in general and encouraged her to stay after classes and work with the teachers individually because she couldn't retain anything I helped her with. Most of these people thanked me because they didn't understand that whatever their problems were were the things holding them back.

• If they were rude... then that would be the quickest way to get me to be rude.
    If they were nice, no, I wouldn't say that because that would be so rude.

• Only if they Start their Stuff... First.

• If that person is trying to boss me around or being a nuisance with their stupidity, I put them in their place. Or it doesn't directly concern me, I leave it alone. Sometimes you have to let stupid people be stupid.

• it really depends and if he s being aggressive

• No. It's not my place. Everyone is dumb one way or another.

• Oh, I don't sugar coat

• Yes only with my sister but she does that to me too