GaGers who can drive an automobile, how did you nail your driving classes back when you were learning how to drive?

I'll be having my first driving lesson tomorrow!

I'm scared because I might cause accidents in the road (since I'm a complete novice).

How did you nail your driving classes back when you were learning how to drive?

I want to hear some stories to calm myself and for motivational purposes as well.

Additional question: What shall I keep in mind so I will be able to drive safely?

Most Helpful Guy

• The majority of my drivers ed in the classroom was spent with the teacher...
    -- Going over how his doctor tells him he needs to stop going to KFC because of his health. (But really, he could barely fit into the car.)
    -- Going over past students and stories that may or may not have been true. Example: A story of a student who got into a high speed chase with the cops and went to visit him.
    -- Him making jokes in general.

Not to mention...
    On the first driving lesson, he brought me onto one of the most crowded streets in the area 😭.
    On the third driving lesson, I had to drive in flooded streets in crowded areas.
    On the fifth lesson or so, I got a guy who was very grumpy and yelling the whole time.
    On every lesson, we drove to a gas station, Starbucks, or donut shop so driving instructor could get a high caloric food.

...
    Why am I saying all this?
    If I was able to make it through just fine despite having an awful teacher and being thrown on busy/raining streets for first time driving, I can almost guarantee you'll be fine. Chances are that your driver's ed school is 100x better than mine. They'll have more experience and can make sure you are more safe. I picked the cheapest one in the area-- at Sear's, and it reflected it.

Talking to my friends about their experiences, most driver's ed places are decent. I was the only one who had an awful place, but I still made it.

(On a side note, no, I do not suck at driving. After my Sear's experience and before my actual test, my dad gave me additional lessons and practice time.)

Likewise, if you are worried about driving after you have your first lesson, get a parent to give you additional help afterwards.

Some mistakes I made when I started out:
    -- Squaring off corners vs rounding them out.
    -- Accelerating too quickly.
    -- Braking too hard.

Really, it's just a matter of getting a feel for it. I'm guessing you'll be driving an automatic so you won't even need to worry about gears. It's not as hard as you think. 👍

I will drive an automatic, indeed. I appreciate your input! Thank you very much for sharing your experience 😊 (even though they scared me even more but I'm managing to be calm and even if I am not familiar with some places you've mentioned)

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm guessing from your age that you're American.

With complete novices, you aren't just "let loose" on the road. It's not like you're pointed at a fast road and told to go. You'll start off in a quiet back road, a driving test centre, a car park, etc. Somewhere with little moving traffic. You'll be taught the basics of the car.
    Over here instructors have dual control of the car, meaning they also have a set of pedals so even if you do get confused and have a slip you aren't a danger to yourself or others.

The biggest thing is keep calm. The L plates are there for a reason and nobody is expecting you to be Ken Block by the end of the hour. Go at your pace, have a scream if you need to. I picked up driving quickly but some people do some don't. My boyfriend at the time took about a year and a half to learn and pass his test - I took about 4 months. It's not a competition, it's about being safe and sensible. Listen to your instructor and if you don't get on with them remember IT'S FINE TO CHANGE. You've got to spend hours in a confined space with them - not everyone gets along and it is fine to want someone else if you don't like them.

I drive a manual car in a different country so the way I drive will be different to you. Listen to your instructor on dos and don'ts.

That was a very helpful input! I'll definitely make sure to get along with my instructor. I'll also keep your tip in mind to be safe. I'm not American though. Thank you very much! 😊

What Guys Said 14

• When I took my motorcycle test, I had a big, heavy V twin cruiser that was not advised, because the test was so hard. What i did was, every weekend I would ride out to the DMV course and practice. I screwed up a lot. But in a month and a half, i got so good, when I took the course, I passed it the first time.

Just be conscious of what you do. You must have it in your head that you are a good driver. Signa before you turn. Look at your mirrors. Give people space. Do not accelerate too rapidly or stop too fast, either. Just relax... you'll be alright

• First things first, driving isn't the toughest thing on the planet. It's so easy. Nothing to be worried about. Instructors are there to ensure your safely. They will not let you speeding at limits. They will start at very low speeds, like 10-15 kmph. So it's totally safe. You will not cause any accident. Coz you just can't and you won't. You are completely safe!!

Secondly they will instruct you every step you should follow and will only allow you to do one thing at one time. They will not rush you into anything advanced at the first lesson. So no need to be nervous it's easy like A-B-C.

I took my first driving lesson without having any prior experience and it wasn't in a proper learners track. (In our country we don't have such luxury). It was a crowded highway towards the capital of the country. But it went very smoothly. Just be your self and relax. And follow instructions. Don't panic. That's it.

Nothing special should be in your mind to be safe. Just be relax and cool that's it. Think of you are being a passenger but little bit in control.

• Passed Canadian car and both UK car and motorcycle tests first time.

Key to driving safely is to be aware of what is around you and keep space around you. Especially in front! ANYTHING could happen in front of you and it won't affect you if you are able to stop in time.

• I didn't take a class for it.

My grandad drove us to a development area. I practiced driving at a slow speed out there. Then gradually we worked up to normal speed. Then I started driving in town. Then I started driving by myself.

All one can do is practice it. Gradually it becomes as easy as riding a bike.
    It only took a little while before I stopped having to think so much about it and it became natural to me.

In those moments when you really need to recollect yourself, make sure to let them know that you need to. It makes it more difficult to drive when you get panicked and all fuzzy headed. (If that happens to you.)

Oh also, they might need to see that you check things, so it might be good to exaggerate turning your head to look, or stating that you are checking left/right and such.

Play it by ear according to what that particular instructor wants to see and hear.

• Just keep calm and make sure your foot is always on to brake. That way you will press the brake instead of the gas if you get panicked but that's also really dangerous. I'm not a pro because I have my permit and practicing on my own but I guess I can hive you tips if u pm me haha

• pay attention to what the teacher tells you. there isn't much more to it

• You can kill 2 people if you crash so don't u dare to crash also drive slow like 20 km/h

• Practice.

• It came easy to me.

• Driving test how about a dot backing up skills test in a semi and driving test with 2hot chicks in the truck

• I can't drive because I get bad migraines.

• I ride my bycicle

• I have been driving since I was little on the farm

• I dont know. I ride my bycicle.

What Girls Said 4

• I took driver's education with my two best friends my junior year or high school (four years ago). I was the only one who didn't have my license yet (they were taking the course to lower insurance rates). They made me drive first on the first day. The instructor was in the passenger seat. He had a brake on his side and had done this for years. He had very good reflexes, so don't worry too much. He never had to brake on me or scold me. He played candy crush on his phone the whole time. The awkward part is that he got arrested last month for a DUI... he's no longer an instructor for driver's education needless to say.
    Tips I have: Always wear a seatbelt. Stay in the right lane if you are going the speed limit or slower. Always check your blind spot. Know that learning how to park takes practice. Make sure you do a full stop and look in all directions (friend didn't do this when we were in the car and he brakes her). Don't grip the stirring wheel too tight. It'll all come naturally eventually, but it may not at first. Try to slow your heart rate and breathing to calm yourself. You will do fine. These instructors have seen it all, so don't be embarrassed if you mess up.

I totally forgot about parking!
      I'll practice these tips because I appreciate your input. That's unfortunate for your instructor and I hope my instructor won't play games inside the car and will assist me in driving. Thank you very much again! 😊

• I'm Asian so my drivers ed instructor didn't expect much going in. Jk. Just be confident, stop at red lights and stop signs. Practice more.

Thank you very much!

Lol well cuz the technical stuff they'll teach you, and even then its kinda intuition and stuff. Driving is like walking or riding a bike. And I think a lot of it is instinct and reflexes. Focus on the car ahead of you and be aware of things around you but don't get distracted. Don't be a dick - always use a turn signal and wave thanks to the guy who let you in. Wait your turn at stop signs. If you're not going speed limit or over, stay in the far right/middle lanes.

• I will take the test next year when I am 16. 🙈
    I think one thing you should NOT do, is panic. Just relax your mind, and enjoy yourself. 😊

• Nuu I can't