Does anyone else suffer from resting bitch face, and hate when people say "You'd be very cute if you smiled more" or "You should try to be more happy?

Okay so I'm sitting by myself watching Hanamaru Kindergarden (a really cute anime) on my phone with only one earbud in (because only one works), and some person decided to come up to me and disturb my piece and out of the blue say "Why do you look so grouchy? You'd look cuter if you looked happy and smiled more." It bothers me so much when that happens! It's like bruh, I was content and happy up until you opened your god damn mouth. I'm not angry that's just how my fucking content face is! Like what makes you think it's okay to disturb someone who's obviously preoccupied with watching something? You just don't come up to a person and say they look grouchy. I wanted to tell this dude off so badly, but I just gave a fake crooked smile and walked away because I wasn't in the mood for an argument.

• I suffer from resting bitch face.
  • I don't suffer from resting bitch face.
  • What is resting bitch face?

Most Helpful Guy

• No because im a dude.
    But yes i have resting bitch face syndrome.
    I have been told i have that at least and people who say that end up being the ones with the problems 90% of the time.
    This is because they feel uncomfortable when someone feels a different way (even if you don't) leading to making them wish to change your attitude so they feel more comfortable. Fuck em.

I don't get why people are looking so hard at peoples faces. Especially if you were me and you're about 20-30 feet away from this dude.

Maybe, but he sure as hell did a bad job at flirting if that's the case. You don't start off a conversation with anyone by mentioning how grouchy they look in your first 2-3 sentences.

Well i don't mean to defend him but sometimes guys will just practice on girls to get their ego in check... its nothing personal to them.

Most Helpful Girl

• I totally understand. Oh man do I have a story to tell you. On Saturday I went to a Halloween party dressed as Wednesday Addams. I was watching my brothers play ping pong and at one point, I majorly zoned out and was staring off into space. Some old guy came up to me and said, "don't you ever smile?" I froze and stammered that I thought my face went with my Wednesday Addams costume. He whispered in my ear that he thought I was cute. God, I was so uncomfortable. That wasn't even the end of it. He was staring at me for the rest of the night. When my parents wanted to leave, I practically sprinted to the car.

What Guys Said 26

• What's worse is actual bitch heart, which you seem to suffer from, too... It will spread to the face in time. Some people just treat the resting bitch face without addressing actual bitch heart, but that's not the way to get cured.

Dude, the only anyone notices here is you. No one starts off a conversation with a person by telling them they look grumpy and would look cuter if they smiled. That's not how you start a normal conversation off.

• I probably don't smile enough, but I have never been accused of having RBF! :)

Wanna switch faces? I'm jealous of your ability to not smile, and not have someone come up to you telling you that you look grouchy as fuck.

Actually. . . I'm pretty sure that your face would look rather bizarre on an old white boy like me! :)

I think you could pull it off.

• That guy should have minded his own business !! Here in the UK strangers rarely interact , I'm happy with that. Mainly because of my steely & quite bright green / blue eye colour , some people have said my expression is like the T 1000 from Terminator 2 !!

If he approached me at a different angle instead of mentioning in his first 2-3 sentences how grouchy I looked I would have been a lot friendlier. If were to ask what I was watching I would have been even more friendlier than that because I love running into people curious about anime/other anime fans.

I can crack some very acidic /dry jokes , in my deadpan manner , that gets generally a positive response , not from the oversensitive wussbags however !!

• No, but I VERY OFTEN have resting thoughtful bewilderment face. I have this expression where on eye becomes heavier, it looks like Brian Williams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cpSoEM1bZc

• Yeah, I tend to have a very serious face regardless of how I feel

• No but from what I've been told my resting face screams "If you fuck with me I will stab you in the neck". But if someone actually talks to me and I think they're being genuine I'm generally fairly friendly and open.

I hope you don't stab someone. xD

Haha, not much danger of that. I don't start trouble, and most people don't start shit with me cuz of how I look (I *look* like a violent felon, but I'm not).

I wish people wouldn't come near me sometimes. xD

• One morning I walked into the gym and the man at the front desk said "Man!! Why do you always look so damn serious? I said "I do?" And he said "Yeah, you come here every day looking like you're going to kill someone"!!!

Dude, where have you been? I've noticed there were less posts from you.

Whatever floats your boat (but I'm really into marine bio)

I thought you'd be all for them given than my use it to educate children about ocean wildlife, aim to keep pollution out of it, plenty are vegans and/or vegetarians, and aim to preserve and protect endangered and non-endangers species using this profession as a medium for it. I guess for them it's easier to reach out to kids more than adults because it would be easier to get through to the younger generation who will be this planets future. As weird as the job is it's not a bad one.

• 0|1
    • 29d

Yeah I gotta learn to smile more and not look bored in public. Sorry I didn't answer your question completely.

• People often ask if I'm angry. I say, No I just have Resting Asshole Face.

No I just haveResting Asshole Face -pervertedjester

That made my day.

• I can see how that would upset women i have resting leukemia patient face.

But how often to you smile for no reason?

It's definitely not Norman... I mean normal.

It was at least big right? Or super micro so micro that you have to get a pepper shaker and get it to sneeze out just enough to be able to grab it with tweezers?

• "you opened your god damn mouth"

Maybe it is not just you having a resting bitch face, but you might just be one.
    He just approached you and wanted to start a conversation, because he found you attractive looking at first sight.

I could have done a lot worse than give him a fake smile, and this happens often enough for it to get on my nerves.

P. S. If he had approached you about the weather you would have been as annoyed for different reasons "what a boring approach" and blabla. The problem here really is with you and your mindset.

I wouldn't have been annoyed at all if he approached me differently and decided to strike up a conversation with a less rude topic. I've actually made friends with plenty of other people who approached me using topics that didn't involve how my face looked grouchy. The problem is his less than kind approach.

• lucky for me, i do not.. but i understand your pain!

>o > First you have dimples, and now you don't suffer from RBF. You've got Taco theGreat feeling all sorts of salty like a saltine.

I've seen pictures of you before though. I never noticed it!

Meh, I have a baby face that suffers from RBF. It's like a curse. xD

• I suffer from whatever the male equivalent of resting bitch face is called.

• My wife has it and when she first learned of the term, she taught me. Lots of arguments went away after we understood this.

• as a guy, i have a bitch resting face too. u dont have to laff at everything all the time, some people dont get it.

Exactly! Why can't people be content without smiling all the time? It'd creep me the hell out if I knew someone who smiled all the time like some sort of crazed serial killer.

Right? xD

that was definitely in some film. cannot remember tho.

• No. I trained my facial expressions in a mirror lol.

Teach me your ways.

Its not too much of a big deal once you are used to it.

Lol at the thought of someone walking into the bathroom to find me blankly grinning at the mirror

• It has happened before where someone though I was annoyed. But usually people think I'm sad, or just that I'm deep in thought (I usually am). Not sad but deep in thought that is.

In any case I don't get bothered by it though. I tend to appreciate their concern or their attempt to converse. But I don't get mad. What's the point?

• this is third time i have felt embarassed here due to RBF, you can check my questions

• No I don't have that problem no resting b**** face for me

• Dude i honestly love staring people down on the subway when i catch them looking at me, its so fun to watch there heads turn as my eternal frown stares deep into their souls xD

• I know I have a resting bitch face, but it's not entirely my fault or in my control.
    I refuse to smile because I'm self-conscious about my bad teeth and I will never smile again until I get the money to have them fixed.

• @archiz tells me all the time I should more smile... and it's even better on my photos than irl xD

• I'm not sure of wether I have a RBF or not. But my mom always says I look serious, so I guess yes.
    Anyways, it does indeed bother me.

• Apparently, when the shit hits the fan at work and I have to "pull the rods out of the reactor" my face is like thunder and my staff are terrified.

This went on for years without my knowing.

• Yeah I look very sinister and I hate smiling.

What Girls Said 27

• Ahhh resting bitch face... LOL

Well, first of all -- RBF is one of the most misunderstood things out there. It does **NOT** just mean "having a serious/brooding facial expression most of the time", as many are won't to think.
    No, actually, RBF is a PHYSICAL TRAIT, with a concrete, measurable basis.
    www.noldusconsulting.com/.../throwing-shade-science-resting-bitch-face

So... for those of us so "afflicted", there isn't a whole lot we can do... except play to our strengths.

I have a particularly severe case ahah. Some more flighty types seem like they're going to turn to stone if they look directly at me.

I gotta say, though -- it works pretty well with my personality and my life. #srslytho

First, I'm a freelancer who negotiates a lot for my living, and -- this is basically just common sense, but there have been studies to back it up -- the RBF phenomenon is a HUGE help when it comes to "being taken seriously" in a business context.
    It's right up there with eye contact and (especially) the strategic use of silence.

When it comes to boys -- well, my idea of "flirting" is basically "getting up in a boy's face and challenging him", and I have always been a horrible fail at absolutely anything that could be described as "coy", "demure", or "traditionally ladylike". Ahahahaaa...
    I've always gone for men who play my little verbal (and nonverbal) judo games right back... and can win (which is rare, but, I did marry the one man who consistently does).
    If I had a "softer" face, would I have met -- and attracted, and seduced, and *kept* my hold on -- such a man? Nowhere near as easily, I'll tell ya that much. If at all.

Soooo yeah, tbh I think life would be a lot more annoying if I were more "approachable"-looking.

It's funny, actually, because in actuality I'm one of those eternal optimists who's almost... irrepressibly friendly. My laugh is so loud and contagious that one man even told me, while he was in the hospital recovering from emergency surgery, that my laugh was one of the things keeping him alive. <3 One of my girlfriends captured the essence of this perfectly, when she described me as someone who "pisses positivity and shits glitter everywhere".

But... my face can come across as "standoffish" or "intimidating" to those who don't know me. (My height doesn't help here, either.)

... but, yeah, have some empathy y'all, since this is one of those things you can't really do much about.
    Other than use it to yr advantage in life and love. :*

In terms of the original question -- No one has ever told me those kinds of things.

Lots of people are intimidated by me. If anyone would *want* to tell me something like that, I guess they'd probably be among the "intimidated" group. Lol smh.

• I totally get what you mean and in a sense it kind of sucks that its mostly said to women, like are we supposed to always have smiles on our face?

It's not even just women who suffer from this though. It seems like from the comments plenty of dudes are in the same situation. xD

LOL i didn't look but i think its just the norm that everyone feels comfortable enough to just have their normal faces on!

I don't get why this dude came up to me though. I was at least 20-30 feet away from him.

• Bruh i cannot express enough how much this pertains to me! Like it happens everyday! And im usually happy/content until someones comments, then im pissed af

• Sometimes when I don't make an effort at all, I have resting bitch face.
    Yesterday I got asked by someone at school who I hadn't seen in a while, he said 'do you even smile anymore?' I was in a bad mood because a friend had said something that pissed me off, and for once, I didn't feel like being smiley.

• Professors used to think I was angry at them or I wanted to Fite them while in class. Apparently my 'learning intently' face looks like I disagree and I wanna start something. So srs. I had one that, at first, stopped every few ppt slides and asked if I had a problem with what he said. I was just like, "I dont even know man, I barely read the chapter, why are you doing this to me?" And he realized that was just my face and gave me candy during our final.

Wow, you poor thing. At least you got candy out of it though.

Ah, lol, well. I used to always pass out during tests and exams, so that also might be why he gave out candy.
      Have you seen barakamon? Its also a totes cute anime.

• I suffer from RBF lol

I used to get comments like that. Except now I wear a police uniform at work and it comes to my aid because people are all like, "She's tiny but her face says, "don't fuck with me," so I'll avoid her and respect her if she comes to talk to me," so... it kind of worked out.

• Omg yes, i have that kind of face where i think i come off as stuck up, if I'm not smiling i just look mean. In high school i was friends with this girl and she told me she was kind of intimidated to approach me because i didn't look very nice :( lol she was surprised at how shy i actually was

• I suffer from resting sad face. People always ask me "what's wrong?" Or "Why do you look so sad?" It's annoying haha.

• Yup, I have a resting bitch face, but I don't consider it a suffering. People cannot expect me to be jolly and smiling all the time.

I don't know it seems like some people think that constantly smiling serial killer look is hot.

Haha true.

My rbf comes in handy when I don't want to e fucked with. I got a mean ass glare.

• I don't suffer from resting bitch face. I suffer from prepube face although I'm 25. Apparently I smile to much at strangers and they get the wrong impression.

I suffer from that too... I get mistaken for under 16 kids quite often. xD

• Voted B
    But my sister is like you and is the sweetest person ever. That person had no right to be so rude and should have left you alone. He could have just said hi and smile.

• Yes, I look like an angry cunt when Im not smiling and even then people sometimes think Im a bitch, which I am but that's irrelevant.

• No, @xXiTacoXx Nothing like This, However... Rude and Crude People on Gag, who have a Sour puss themselves, are the Ones who Need to Rest their Asinine Attitude at another Door.
    Good luck and Great Timing. xx

• I suffer more from: "I am lost in space" face more so. Though people bitch that I don't smile enough.

I'm sorry but I live in more than one dimension so I'm not always capable of smiling. Lol.

• YES YES YES!!! I will smile when I am legitimately happy and not a moment sooner! Whenever someone tells me to smile more often, I give them the creepiest one I can and stare at them until they are uncomfortable.

• yep i do... i used to say sorry it's just the shape of my face...
    until i perfected my beautiful instant fake smile which always works :)

I don't have a perfected fake smile yet. Give it a few years and maybe I'll almost have one.

it takes some practice... selfies helps a lot... make sure you delete them
      also have a few differ kinds of fake smiles, you don't want to use the same one
      all the time ;)

• No I don't unfortunately, I wish I could give advice :(

• If I'm reading or concentrating in anyway, I look like I'm pissed off. Which gives people the impression I don't like what it is I'm reading or doing. No... no I like it, if I didn't I wouldn't be doing it.

Simple as that.

• Nope

• Yes! I was ordering a coffee at Starbucks yesterday and the guy behind the counter was like 'come on smile a little, why do you look so upset' I was like uhm whatttttt? Then when you smile thy go 'oh you're even more beautiful when you smile' and I really wanna bitch slap them

• Yes. I just get told to smile more instead of being so unhappy all the time. I hate it. I'm usually happy or content, but that does make me angry.

• Thankfully, I don't think I have it.

• I don't quite have a resting bitch-face, more of a resting sad face. I think the "disadvantages" are pretty much the same

• Nope I'm always smiling

• Unfortunately, yes I do lol. I know the struggle.

• I hate it when people comment on my facial expression awwwwhhh it pisses me off soo much. I'm like this is just my face nothing is wrong

• i do now. i used to smile a lot though but whenever people saw me smiling they'd bring me down so I just don't smile anymore.