The smoke alarm right by my kitchen is ridiculously sensitive. If I open the oven door, it goes off. I honestly don't think it works. When my house almost burned down, and the house was filled with smoke, it didn't go off. When I was forced to cook steaks on the stovetop because it was raining and there was a ton of smoke, it didn't go off. But it goes off when I'm baking Apple turnovers for my Halloween movie marathon. Go figure.
Most Helpful Guy
Smoke detectors are only good for 10 years, max (and some are only rated for 5 years). I'm not talking about the battery - I'm talking about the sensors. But virtually no one replaces them when they're supposed to - I commonly walk into very nice houses with 30+ year old smoke detectors, most of which don't work.
New smoke detectors are about $20 on Amazon - a little more for models that take Lithium batteries that run the detector for 5 years or so, for those who don't have wired power (most houses have wired power for the smokes, with a 9V battery as a backup in case the power fails).
If you are renting, the landlord is responsible for maintenance of the smokes, but if this is your place, definitely spend the money, and the detector should be mounted at the far edge of the kitchen, never directly near the stove or oven.2