How do I deal with a ridiculously sensitive smoke alarm?

The smoke alarm right by my kitchen is ridiculously sensitive. If I open the oven door, it goes off. I honestly don't think it works. When my house almost burned down, and the house was filled with smoke, it didn't go off. When I was forced to cook steaks on the stovetop because it was raining and there was a ton of smoke, it didn't go off. But it goes off when I'm baking Apple turnovers for my Halloween movie marathon. Go figure.

1mo Also I can't get rid of it. It only goes off when I'm cooking even though I'm not burning anything.

Most Helpful Guy

• Smoke detectors are only good for 10 years, max (and some are only rated for 5 years). I'm not talking about the battery - I'm talking about the sensors. But virtually no one replaces them when they're supposed to - I commonly walk into very nice houses with 30+ year old smoke detectors, most of which don't work.

New smoke detectors are about $20 on Amazon - a little more for models that take Lithium batteries that run the detector for 5 years or so, for those who don't have wired power (most houses have wired power for the smokes, with a 9V battery as a backup in case the power fails).

If you are renting, the landlord is responsible for maintenance of the smokes, but if this is your place, definitely spend the money, and the detector should be mounted at the far edge of the kitchen, never directly near the stove or oven.

Most Helpful Girl

• @ginny_weasley, I have Had that Same problem with a Few of these 'Ridiculously Sensitive Smoke Alarms. Very Annoying.
    However, taking the Battery out and then Having someone Check it out, Might put this for Now on a Back Burner at least.
    Good luck. xx

What Guys Said 17

• Wrap it up with a plastic foil or a plastic bag until you can get a new one.

• You could take out the batteries of that specific alarm, but besides that send me your recipe for apple turnovers!!! PLEASE i looked them up an they look SO good

• Replace it. Smoke alarms are only a few bucks and fairly easy to install. Wired alarams have onl 4 wires that are color coded while wireless just consists of you mounting on the walla and putting a battery in.

• Apple pie lol

Kinda sounds like working a little wonky. New batteries or probably a replacement would be best at this point

• Have you tried replacing the battery?

• Tell the land lord, parents, relatives etc say its faulty.
    The fire department may well give you a working one for free.

• We had a smoke alarm that did the same exact thing
    them kind will only go off when it's dealing with the oven
    I think it's best to find one with high ratings and get one of them.

• Get a new one,,, seems pretty simple

• Pull power supply if it's annoying. Can try wiping off optic eyes, but replacing probably more economic. Don't buy s*** if you rent.

• How old is it? Is it run by house power or a battery? If battery, perhaps it needs to be changed. Smoke detectors need to be vacuumed & cleaned regularly and they do have a limited life span and should be replaced periodically.

• Maybe its time to replace it. How longhave you had it?

• I take it down.
    I'm watching the original Halloween right now what are you watching

Right now, nothing. I should be doing my homework though. Last night I watched Carrie. I thought it was really lame.

• you sure its not a heat detector, where I work we fit heat detectors in kitchens not smoke detectors

• Cover it with a cloth while you cook

• Hammer works for me.

• Replace it they are suposta be replaced every 10 years any way plus get your house and natural gas checked for radon as it can effect smoke detectors and be dangerous to people

• Replace it

What Girls Said 3

• I just unhooked mine.

That's illegal and punishable by a $5000 fine and it also means if your house burns down and someone dies you are considering criminal liable and can face serous jail time

• Buy a new one that's better quality

• ಠ_ಠ *slowly raises sledge hammer*