Why do they allow fighting in Hockey?

I personally think it's pretty badass but it will obviously carry with it ramifications. I've always wondered why they allowed fighting whilst American Football would never let something like this fly.

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• Hockey fights are one of precious few things in life that I'm truly passionate about, haha. I actually wrote my freshman writing class final paper on it😂 But yeah, I used to want to be a goon when I was kid but we couldn't afford for me to play, it's a rich kid's game around these parts, for sure. But the answer is that hockey polices itself, and I think that's one of the greatest things about the game. Like its dangerous as fuck already, the skates, the sticks, the puck, the boards, and these guys are FLYING out there at the pro level. So you can get FUCKED UP real quick, and you have to have a way to keep everyone honest. If you have a bruiser you can send over the boards and bang someone out in front of 18,000 people, they're more likely to keep their stick down, less likely to fire that extra shot after the whistle at your goalie, less likely to clean someone's clock when they're vulnerable👍 Tempers run hot out there...
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ab8Xcc9ymuo

Lol nice. I never really watched hockey but it sort of just hit me as to why they allow this shit to happen in hockey but literally no other sports. Should be allowed in the NFL as well lol. I need to watch Goon.

Goin is def worth a watch. The goalie is a fuckin head job, love him, haha.

What Girls Said 5

• Because you gotta grab them by the pussy.

• No one would watch hockey without the fighting because it's already pretty boring with it. It's like Nascar without crashes, just why?

• Enforcers 😍😍

• It's more entertaining.

• One of the best parts of hockey. lol I'm sure the refs know that too. It keeps people watching

What Guys Said 10

• The fighting can have some incredibly serious damage on the individuals involved. Probably the most famous case is Derek Boogaard. The guy was a monster, the most powerful enforcer in his time in the game. These enforcers are expected to skate onto the rink and fight with hate and anger to protect their team. Long term exposure of these emotions coupled with repeated blows to the head like what these guys are usually exposed to can deteriorate your brain and basically kill you.
    www-tc.pbs.org/.../h.png

Here's a documentary about Boogaard.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txI16GT-P_M

• They allow it to protect the star players on each team. The star players know they can perform at the top of their game and not be scared that someone will try and cheap shot them without one of the enforcers stepping in and teaching that guy never to mess with them again. It also gets people to pay attention to the game

• Who tf would watch Hockey without fighting?

• Because hockey's just that tedious.

• Hockey would suck without fighting

• 0|0
  • Well I wasn't posting these questions before my exams.

• I don't know but its the only good part about hockey

• I've always wondered why they crack down on it nowadays. Hockey was better back in the day.