How do you deal with irritability?

I'm so stressed and irritated lately. Anything anyone says makes me want to punch them or yell at them. What can I do to chill out?

Most Helpful Guy

• That is really up to you how you proceed, after all it is your life and no one can fix what is wrong except you.. It sounds to me like you take most all things way to seriously.. and all it is causing you is a lot of hear ache.. you must try chilling out a bit.. there are many things that can and do make people get very agitated.. make a list of them maybe.. and put them into perspectives.. you may just find the ones that are just not worth it.. and the ones that are.. hope all goes well no mater what you choose to do.. but the ball is in your court.. it always has been

Most Helpful Girl

• last year i was like that due to a really shitty job i had to take and it made me feel as if i'm gonna end up in jail for hitting someone. i started seeing a therapist and he worked with me on taking care of myself first. for example, i started doing something i like: making a nice meal for myself, meditating, buying something that i really want (like a nice ring or incense sticks, nothing expensive), took relaxing baths and so on. in the beginning i wanted to punch my therapist in the face as well cause i felt it won't help, but it did. it helped me be more relaxed and satisfied with myself. we can be our worst enemies or our worst friends. i know this is probably the last thing you want to hear right now, but nobody's gonna take care of you the way you can take care of yourself. so make yourself happy by doing things you really like. do it even if you think it won't help. first few times you might not see the change, but later you'll begin to see that people can't piss you off that much. to be clear, i still sometimes want to hit someone, but the urge is not nearly strong as it was year ago, because i know that whenever someone gets on my nerves i can go home, cook myself a lovely meal or fill in the tub and enjoy. it may sound like crap (i know), but now i'm more like - ok, you're an idiot and i won't waste my time on you, i will 'waste' my time doing something i like and not giving you the satisfaction of ruining my day :)

find something you really enjoy, it might not be cooking, it can be drawing, knitting, jogging, whatever. and whenever you feel like 'exploding' try meditating. i was really really skeptical towards that but when i felt like something is gonna piss me off i tried my best to really shut down the negative thoughts, imagine my happy place (for example beach) and imagine i'm there relaxing and there is nothing in the world that can ruin this. also, you can try to think of it this way - on a scale from 1 to 10 how much did your friend piss you off (you'll say 10, as i did, or at least 8-9). now try to think how terrible would it be if you died tomorrow? now that's gonna be 10. compared to dying tomorrow, being pissed off by a friend doesn't seem that terrible :D

Haha awesome advice thank you so much :)

no problem, being pissed of is something i can sympathize with the most :D

What Guys Said 12

• It depends on how high the stress and irritation levels are. If they're just moderate, you might be able to get by on what other people recommended here... hobbies, exercise, etc... if it's severe, though, where you feel that it is negatively affecting your life, you should talk with a doctor about it and see if it could be related to a more serious condition. There are medications that can help with anxiety levels if they are truly severe. Any side effects may be much more manageable than the stress levels themselves.

• Punch them while yelling at them! Then chill as you watch tears roll down their face.

Jk, don't do that... unless they're being stupid, then definitely do that.

• When I get like that I know that I need to take a break. I'm taking on too much in my life at the time or I'm not sleeping right or whatever. I know I need to step back and slow things down a bit because it's not me. So it means I have to say no to some things. Make more "me" time. Get rest and relaxation. Sometimes you have to make the time for yourself.

• You might want to learn the art of not giving a dαmn.

All Hell can break lose all around you and you won't even flinch... unless you want to.

• May i recommend you to listen to classical calm symphonies. It might sound weird but even fighters and soldiers do listen to classical symphonies to calm down and relax, i do it too and i find it very accurate.
    Then you might need a break, just to breath a little bit or maybe some alone time.

• Organise a bit of me time - A walk, exercise or maybe even just chill by yourself

• Exercise. Booze. Doing hobbies that I enjoy, especially shooting or fishing.

I don't do this due to random tests at work, but I know at least a few people that will smoke weed to help them chill out. Maybe try that.

• You should take a dose of psychedelic mushrooms.

• I watch and remember a lot of comedy routines so when I get angry I flash on them instead of lashing out.

• Workout at the gym

• go to the gym and use a boxing bag. punch ya heart out.

• get layed or masturbate helps me

What Girls Said 10

• Run like run like crazy!

• Go for a walk or somewhere where you're alone. The beach and anywhere where there's a body of water is the best. It always helps me or a long drive and listen to music.

• Music on my headphones.

• Yea i feel like this a lot. What I usually do is limit my conversation and try to keep busy esp if someone irritates me at work.

• Find outlets. Start exercising. Start drawing. Anything that will help you channel that negative energy into something that won't harm you or anyone else.

• I fence. Stabbing people really helps to relieve irritability and stress.

Really? How is that to get started in?

@Telekinetic-Potato I have paid $0 to fence. My school let me join the fencing club for free. I use the school's equipment. I will end up purchasing my own when I better skilled, so I could use my own equipment in competitions. I'm currently looking into gear for fencing. It looks like it'll be around $150 for the foil and protective gear.

Damm, I'm gonna look into that, pretty soon that's not gonna be too much money to me!

Maybe I'll find a free to join club too.

• Music and reading. I always have my iPod on me no matter where I go. Also a good book. My strategy is also good for bad tempers. 😏

• Exercise that will help

• You should spend some time alone - listen to music, perform yoga, have a cup of tea or go for a walk. Just ask your loved ones to give you some space and once you start to feel better, then you can reach out to them.

• i usually stay away from people when i get like that, and i listen to music that i know will calm me down, or i just vent to my friends. i have gotten into the routine of meditating to calm myself down