Is someone born in 1989 in the same generation as someone born in 1997?

What do you think? Same generation or different?

Most Helpful Girl

• Depends on how you look at it... it's different

For me personally the way I see it is, if they are old enough to be your parent, then it's not the same generation... because one is now an adult and the other one is not...

For example in your question.. an 8 year old cannot possibly be a parent.. so according to my view, yes, it would be considered the same generation. ..

Oat would say 25 years... but in today's world, everyone is having kids as early as 15, 16 .. so being about 16 years younger or 16 years older than someone else could possibly be considered not from the same generation.. that's how I see it.

Others may refer to a generation asall the people who are living right now who are not extremely old or babies. ... all the inbetweens..

BEST COMMENT! I will vote yours as most helpful. Makes perfect sense.

Oh? Thank you 😯😁😛🎉!!!

Thank you!! :]]]]]]!!!

What Guys Said 11

• I would say it's a different generation... at least to a large degree. I was born in 1988. People who were born in 1997 are only 19 now. They're almost still kids ;-). Nine years might not seem like a lot but people tend to change a lot in their mid 20s. I'm past this already, while you still have the big change in front of you. Also, you're technically still a teenager but when I think back to my time as a teenager, it seems like an awful long time ago ;-). Also, the general social environment was rather different when I grew up. I still experienced not having a cell phone being normal. When I was 15, most kids in my school didn't have a cell phone. Most also thought it wasn't anything special. I also remember playing games on the dos-interface on my dad's computer. Icons didn't exist yet, so if you wanted to play a game, you had to type in every command by hand.
    When you were 10 years old on the other hand, stuff like Facebook, internet, smartphones... it was all already the norm.

I mean someone your age was a teenager in what? 2007? Not that long ago

Isn't nine years quite a long time for our age? And isn't it especially a long time for the times we live in? I mentioned technology because our world develops so extremely fast. This also brings other social developments. When I think back to when I was 5 years old and I compare it with today, it's a vastly different world. Just to give you one more example from my country Switzerland: I remember going shopping with my dad on Saturday mornings when I was a little child. The reason we went to do the big shopping for the week in the morning is because all stores closed at exactly noon. So it was normal to leave right after breakfast. During the week, stores closed at 5.30p. m. After that, NOTHING was open. Walking through downtown on the weekend was like walking through a deserted city. I really liked it. It felt so peaceful.
      Nowadays, grocery stores are open until 8p. m. and on Saturday until 6p. m.. Some airport shops are even open on Sundays. I think that's really sad/crazy.

• While they are the same generation technically, late 80's kids grew up just before internet. I can see a big difference in the mentalities.

• Totally different

How?

You mean inferior. From grade k-12. All same generation!

Haha! Yea, now I'm thinking back to my senior year in highschool and my point is confirmed even more. We shared NOTHING in common with the freshman. Totally different dress style, different music, ways of hanging out, talking to each other, ideas of what's cool. Yea, you couldn't be more wrong. I'm definitely on the high ground here

• Technically the same, though the differences between 10, even 5, years apart are steadily becoming more drastic, so demographically, I think it's counterintuitive to lump them together.

Is someone born in 1989 old to you? My boyfrined was born in 89

That means im apart of the same generation as you and my boyfriend. I was born in 97

Yes, I'd say so.

• yeah definitely. why is this even a question. generations are a good 20 years.

20 years? Wow. someone 20 years older than me is apart of generation x tho and im generation y. Do you think someone born in 1989 could date someone born in 1997?

Lol is someone born in 1989 old to you?

for a women yeah way too old. I'm dating young honeys not old hos.

• As someone born in 1989 I haft to say no.

• Everyone born in 1997 is an asshole :(

• Honestly, I would say 1996 is the cutoff since my potential girlfriend was born in '96 and it's in essence acceptable, but, overall I suppose what's acceptable is more or less subjective

• Same.

I notice the older people say the same generaton and the young people are saying different. Do you think someone born in 1989 can date someone born in 1997?

I was born in 1997 and my boyfriend born in 1989. So its okay? Some people criticize us

• short answer no. long answer someone born in 1989 is generation x. someone born in 1997 is generation y

What the hell? Generation is from 1965 to 1979. Generation y is from 1983-1999. Weird.

• Different.

What Girls Said 6

• 1989 is the year I was born. And yes its two different generations. At that time social media wasn't as popular. And this generation seems to be a bit more advanced with technology and the internet. Also, even with the style of dress. I notice that this generation wears makeup and weave at an early age.

• A generation is around 33 years so yeah same generation I think.

• Nope, generations are usually divided into decades, for example someone of born in 1990 would be from the same generation than someone born in 1999, but not from the same as one born in 1989 or 2000

• People born in 1995 onwards are a new generation. So to answer your question, no. Someone who is born in 1989 is not part of the same generation as someone born in 1997

• Noooo.

• Different because one generation is anyone born in the same year... at least that is how I see it