Do you think what my teacher did was appropriate?

My friend (J) has always been open about everything. So much so, that today she stuck a post-it note on her forehead with the words "I'm on my period so piss me off at your own risk." She kept it on all day, letting all of the teachers read it as well as all of the students. In science, my teacher told her to take it off, because it was "vulgar and inappropriate". I personally think she should not have worn it, let alone on her forehead because it's private information that the public probably doesn't want to hear about. I think the way my teacher did it was inappropriate (he did in in front of the class), but she probably should't have had that up in school because, as I said before, private information. What does everyone else think?

P. S. My other friend is pissed at my science teacher and is going to send him an email saying that he is disrespectful to women, a horrible person, and that she hopes he'll get fired.

1mo Also my friend sent the email. It was very rude to my teacher, and he responded with an extremely polite email. Apparently, this made her more mad?

Most Helpful Guy

• Schools operate in a very different environment than the real world. He was well within his right to demand she remove it as a distraction to the other students. And your other friend would be making a huge mistake by getting involved in this matter. If there it a case to be made by the first friend, that's a matter for her, her parents, and the school to deal with, not 3rd parties.

Most Helpful Girl

• I kind of side with the teacher on this one. If the note said "I'm having my period and I'm sorry if i snap at you", that's a much more positive message than the threat of "piss me off at your own risk" that she chose instead. Maybe it's not "vulgar" but it's inappropriate to stick that to your head. It's never a teacher's job to piss off his students anyway.

It's just a given that at your age, half of the students in the school will be having periods. The teachers, both male and female know this and deal with it every day. The schoolroom is supposed to be a civil place of learning and *no one* should be attacking anyone. The teachers should be respectful to the students and the students should be respectful as well. Are teenage girls a minefield? Well, yeah, but that's just something you handle.

I don't think the teacher us disrespectful, horrible or deserving of being fired. Cold he have handled it better? Sure, but that's hardly something you fire someone for.

What Guys Said 11

• Your friend is in the wrong and your teacher had all the right to call her out on that inappropriate and possibly disrespectful behaviour.

Plus I don't see how its an issue infront of class if your friend is wearing that sticky note infront of class to begin with - so everyone knew about it anyway.

Last but not least I think both of your friends should get over their self-importance. The teacher doesn't want anything from you, but you want education from him. He is the authority, so you should behave. Simple as that.

• I think what that teacher did was entirely appropriate. What he did wasn't disrespectful to women. What J was doing was disrespectful to the whole school, and I don't blame the teacher for saying he wasn't going to allow it in his classroom. J also didn't show any respect for herself by having that post-it on her forehead.

• Your friend has every right to express how she feels but by creating the note she's just asking for trouble. It was unnecessary maybe the teacher could have handled it better but the note was probably making lots of people feel uncomfortable so can ya really blame him?

• It may have been more professional to pull her to the side, rather than do it in front of class.

But by then, it doesn't really matter, because everyone had seen it anyway. It's not like he was embarrassing her - she embarrassed herself... all day.

Yeah when I first saw it I was wondering why she would publicly state that... on her forehead...

She was probably trying to be funny, but she shouldn't have embarrassed herself like that.

I honestly feel bad for her.

Same ://

• I agree with the teacher. It's not that I find it "vulgar" but it's silly and unnecessary.
    I think your friend is overreacting with that email too

• I always love when people give their friend an alias and then never use that alias ever again 😂😂😂

Sorry, I got nothing. I just thought it was funny

• "that he is disrespectful to women,"

- Teacher points out inapropriate behavior of student.

- Needs to get fired because of disrespect to all women worldwide.

Your friends aren't too bright are they?

• No, he was fine. It's your friend that chose to do this.

• Wtf? Of course it's appropriate! You're friend is dumb AF for even doing that especially at school. You're teacher was right smh

• Your friend is a little brat with a respect issue. Someone needs to put her in her place.

• Your friends sound cringe as fuck.
    What the teacher did was right 100%.

they usually aren't at all (they're really kind and sweet) but yes, right now they are pretty cringe worthy.

What Girls Said 8

• "He did it in front of class..." so? She was wearing it in public. That opens the door for public discussion of that information.

I hope your friend grows up in the next couple years because Christ Almighty we don't need that kind of behavior in the working world.

• Hmm, I agree that he shouldn't have brought it up in front of all the other students but I don't think it was inappropriate to ask her to remove it because it's pretty rude what with the swearing and all. You should probably try to talk your other friend out of it seeing as she can get in quite a bit of trouble for sending an email to the teacher like that.

• She shouldn't have worn the sticky note at all, and while he should have pulled her aside and told her to take it off, he was not in the wrong at all to make her take it off.

Your friend needs to calm the fuck down and get over it. All women have periods, all women deal with being a little extra pissy while on their period, if the rest of us can get on with out lives she can too. She isn't special.

• She was begging for it. Siding with the teacher on this one.

Walk around with a chip on your shoulder, other people will flick it off.

• I agree with the teacher. I won't put a note on my head saying "i'm in a depression, deal with it".

Or a teacher on her period "Piss me off at your own risk". she should keep own problems and work seperated

• It was immature of your friend. However that should have been adressed in private by the teacher.

• I would think a teacher would have bigger concerns like his student's education. I still don't know how to effectively study for a test and I'm halfway through college.

True! I think you're right and also I love your username. HP for life :P

Haha thanks! But seriously if a girl publicly said she's on her period and to not piss her off, I would just say cool and walk away.

• Too much drama for nothing. She shouldn't have this note on her forehead it was the risk to recieve comments about it she was aware. The email is unecessary honestly what's the point. Just move on, it's done. 😉