My dad has been making 200k euros a year for nearly 20 years but doesn't want to give me the money to afford University?

I'm really tired of working and going to University every day, it's becoming stressful. My dad is a well-known plastic surgeon in my area and has been making all that money for years, and my mum is a lawyer. Basically, they have a couple of millions. I must be honest, I did ask my dad for a million because... who doesn't like money? He said no and I'm fine with that, but shouldn't he help me pay for University at the very least? Also, I'd like to buy a cheap car but my dad says I have to save up to buy one. Really, he's got all that money, why can't he just give me a few hundred euros every now and then? I can't fucking believe it. If I had a son/daughter and two million euros in my pockets, I'd give them half the money, for sure!

Most Helpful Guy

• My dear, I come from one of the wealthiest and most powerful families on the earth today, and I can tell you, I refuse their money, I would rather work in the sun all day for my food!

You sit in comfort and luxury while the vast majority of the world struggles, and suffers in poverty that you could not comprehend. If you were forced to endure it for a week, without the hope of the money you do have, I believe you would suffer from PTSD and that is not a joke or a lie.

We do not know how we will pay our bills in full, some of us worry if we will even have a home. So we plan on living in a vehicle, using restrooms in shopping malls, keeping water in jugs, buying food as we can afford it, being hassled about just parking a vehicle there for a night or two.

Are you prepared for that? No? Then you do not know what it means to live.

When I worked for a high end clothing store, there was a young woman who came from a wealthy construction family. Her sister was given a brand new BMW, and all the money she could use. But this lady, I was her boss, she wanted to work for her money.

She had honor.

As you progress in life, you will understand that honor is by far, the most important thing you can possess, a good name, they cannot be bought with money, in fact, your name can be tarnished just by having lots of money.

Your father is absolutely correct. How badly do you want your education? Bad enough to work for it? I GUARANTEE when you come through this, having worked, slaved, suffered, did without, you will be HAPPY and glad your father made you work for what you have. You will appreciate every dollar you have, you will be more quick to help others in needs, and you will have a heart of gold, which is far more valuable than all the money in the world.

(And even your looks... Your heart stays warm long after looks fade in time.)

Most Helpful Girl

• Maybe he just doesn't want you to become spoilt and entitled (like you are feeling now). My parents could pay for my uni tuition but they're not going to, they're not even going to help me with living costs, in fact they're even starting to ask me to pay a small bit of rent to stay at home. They're just trying to prepare me for the real world. Heck I even had to pay for my iPhone with my own money, and because I did that Im far far more careful with it, I pay for all my travels, my holidays. Even though they could pay for me with their disposable income.
    Im not entitled to anything because they've already paid enough for me while I grew up.

What Guys Said 18

• Well, you might have messed this up already. No parent wants to raise an entitled person. You asking casually for "humble" million made you look super entitled. I'd be surprised if he give another cent for a long time.

You don't just ask for that kinda' money as if it's owed to you. Remember it's their money and not yours. They have no obligation to do anything for you anymore really, you're an adult. Try apologizing to him and tell him you were wrong to ask. He might soften his stance.

Unless your parents are super evil they'll eventually give you money. They're thinking about the day they're no longer around. They want to know you'll be able to provide for yourself and not rely on your inheritance or some guy.

I asked for it when I was younger, I mean, I just wanted to be rich, now I'm just asking for a cheap car ( a FIAT Punto or something like that ) as my dad's car is too much for me ( and I'd be scared to drive around in a Ferrari/Mercedes, what an economic tragedy it would be if I crashed ) and just a few euros to help me with University. I'm not asking for millions anymore.

• Just chill, when the time comes for university I'm sure they will gladly help you out they just don't want you wasting it on stupid shit. You gotta understand we're all just kids and need a little bit of self sufficiency not just getting shit off our parents. Be nice to them and they might re consider

• i think he wants you to work for whatever you want, he doenst wanna spoil you and he wants you to know how harsh things are out there , i dont know if its true but seems like he didn't have parents that had that kind of money and he wants you to feel the way most people feel and wants you to strive to get your own money orrrrrrrrrrr... he is just cheap asf or your a troll

Troll? I'm basically saying that anyone has more money than me lol. Not so much to brag about.

dont ask for so much , just ask him to help you out with whatever amount he can since he isn't giving you anything, realise that he worked hard for that money the same way you are working your ass off rightnow.. ask him for like 10k a month or something.. just to allow you to rest a bit more.

Uhm yeah you're right.

• understand why parents don't want to pay for your uni. Does anyone paid for their uni? I assume not. So either them had kind of job just to pay own education. It will make you value this education, you will have better results in uni, because you don't want to waste your hard earned money. If parents pay for education of their kid, so many times kid doesn't give a single f**k about his study results. And, finally, it helps to create your character, personality.
    Do you really believe that if you will give to your own kid some amount of money, it's good for him? No, it's not. Because like this, he don’t realise value of money. How difficult it is to earn them. Once he spend the money, then what? Gonna give him some more?

Hey, are you out of Europe yet?

Nope. But I've been raised the same way. Wanna something? Earn it! That's the only way how to realise value of anything.

• He might want you to "make it" on your own, without help. Probably like he had to with his parents? They likely feel that if they just give you the money that you aren't earning it yourself and won't appreciate or value it as much. That's almost always the reason.

• Been there, lived that (but my parents weren't that rich.) I worked my way through college and uni.
    My son got what he needed and more.

• Well, independent of the action of your dad - you have no right to demand from your dad. Your parents have no obligation.

And frankly - it most likely was stressful for them as well. So deal with how it is and make the best out of it.

It was stressful for them as well, that's the reason why, if I were in his shoes, I'd give my money to my son/daughter.

Yeah because I always tell him how much of a cunt he is..

You calling your father "cunt" and you seriously expect him to give you some money? Honestly, I think that you're big disappointment for him. I wouldn't be surprised if you will be disinherited.

• May be they want you to know the value of money first. If you earn it, then you basically realise the value of money. They will give all of the savings when you are ready. If they give you now, you might just spend them, which they fear.

• Some parents are very strickt about teaching you the value of money.
    Maybe you spend too much and he's giving you a lesson of responsibiliy, but im just guessing.

• I can understand if he does not want to give you things, as he believes that working/paying for your items, will help you giveyou a sense of satisfaction. Not helping paying for your tuition, on the other hand, is being exceptionally tight with his money, and it isn't fair. If they were your parents, they would support you, and help ensure that you get a good education... In other words, they should help pay for your tuition, if they really wanted to help you succeed in life.

To me it looks like they had similar circumstances and they had to pay for their education too. That's why they succeeded. They appreciate the value of their education. They didn't want to waste their hard earned money, so it push them get better results in school. I believe that with this behaviour they giving a favour to their daughter. Lessons of life. That's what are parents for.

• No you're an adult you can work for your own shit. He doesn't want you to be and entitled cunt who thinks just because she's a girl she's going to get spoiled..

CHEERS!!!

• hmmm...

• Now asking for a million is a bit too much lol but yes he should definitely pay for your university and make your life easier. What's the point of money if you're just gonna keep it? It's fine that he wants you to be "self made" but c'mon.

The point is, you can invest those money and like this, money will produce more money.
      I understand why parents don't want to pay for her uni. Does anyone paid for their uni? I assume not. So either them had kind of job just to pay own education. It will make you value this education, you will have better results in uni, because you don't want to waste your hard earned money. If parents pay for education of their kid, so many times kid doesn't give a single f**k about his study results. And, finally, it helps to create your character, personality.

@goldfinch23 Or maybe make your kid's life easier and let them live and enjoy. I wouldn't have learned shit from an added job, just taken the added stress but that's just me I guess.

You wouldn't learned shit if you don't have to take any effort to aim something. Like money for free. You spend them much easily than if you must work hard for it.

• "I must be honest, I did ask my dad for a million"

Are you not ashamed?

I asked for it years ago, not yesterday, I'm 18 now and I understand that I'm not entitled to a million of his.

I'm 19 now*

• Hun it is not mandatory for him to do that there's only a few things he has to do mandatory

• When your parents are broke, don't give them a single euro. Your parents suck.

• Education is very important, it's not like you're asking for video games

• You don't respect money unless you earn it plus out of that 200 000 a year 40% at least goes to taxes so your down to 120 000 plus next you take off Next 40 000 a year for morgage payment food clothing and incurance for a house so your down to 80 000 Then 30 000 a year to keep two cars in working order with gas and oil and incurance and payment so your down to 50000 next it probably cost your dad 200 000 plus to get his doctor plus 7 or 8 year in school so he didn't start making money tell he was 25ish to service that debt in 15000 a year for 20 year si your down to 35000 and most of that would go to paying off the debt associated with starting or buying his practice si really at the end of the year he probably only has less then 10000 he can actually put in savings for the first 20 years of his practice

Ehm, not sure where you live... but things don't work like that over here. 200k is 200k, also my mum makes a lot of money too...

The euro up I checked before I made the calculation it's 1.49 euro pee a canadain dollars meaning 200k is 300k in canadain dollars second Italy has a 43% income tax I checked on all income over 75000 I based mine on a 40% income tax unless the 200k is his NET revenue he will have to pay tax on it and if it is his net revenue the taxes have already come of as for prices that's all based on where I live all and it's more expensive to live there so the prices are probably way off and as for me I own 5 rental properties a tow truck company a bar a 1200 acer farm a storage facility and a strip club

But my point was to try and make you relise the reality of your situation and I don't think I can do anymore to help on that end

What Girls Said 3

• I used to think that way. I used to think that my parents should pay for university. I then realized that they have already done so much for me. They dedicated their entire lives to make sure I become the person I am today. They have fought for me and stood by my side through everything. It is now my turn to prove to them that all wasn't a waste. I pay for everything by myself- tuition, rent, food, books, gas. I am on my own now. I need to prove that I can stand on my own two feet and become great just like they did. You are on your own now. I know it is tough and stressful. You can fight through it. Become this amazing person that you aspire to be.

• Because your an adult and need to learn the value of money. Giving it to you teaches you nothing - if you don't get a job straight out of university you still need to be able to pay your bills and living expenses. This is a tough period in life but it's not impossible and will set you up for life.
    He had earnt his money, and is free to do as he wishes with it. Earn your own and you can do the same

• they want you to build character