Do white people see light skin or mixed black people as fully black?

Im light skinned but im black. im not mixed but white people treat me better than my darker skin friends and family. Why?

Most Helpful Guy

• To me, black is black. Saying a light skin is less black than a dark skin, is like saying a tanned white person is less white than a pale one.

Most Helpful Girl

• That's colorism. White people will never view you as white so they will most often classify a light skinned or mixed person as black (unless the mixed person looks fully white). But they treat you better because you're perceived as less of a threat because of your skin. If a person is "too black" they are often perceived as violent or angry individuals. The whole concept of Colorism is that lighter skin is looked at as more tolerable and more pleasant than dark skin. The sad part is that this is a global phenomenon and happens to people of multiple races.

What Guys Said 13

• Because many people in the world are deluded morons. This is also why a snake such as Hillary Clinton could very well be our next president.

• Maybe because they know you better than they know your friends. We are all human, the only race is the human race people just live in different climates. Light skin people are still black as they have primarily African ancestors. Even though all modern humans came out of Africa.

• No, because white people are not a hive mind. There are 'light skinned' people in all ethnic groups - hell, white people ARE light skinned. As far as why some treat you better - I don't know... probably some "shade based" prejudices attribute to that.

• I'd look for either cultural features such as clothing type and hairstyle. I find that to be more relevant than skin color.

• Its hard to tell in America these days what race or ethnicity POC people are. I date a pretty girl at college who originally I thought was of east European descent or at very least ukrainian or Georgian or something like that turned out she was half Caucasian wasp and half Chinese not that it mattered.

• Why do you have to give a fuck about what people think. You are not born to be judged by them. Just be happy the way you are.

• it all depends in how your present yourself... if you act ghetto, than your a black chick. if your not all ghetto, than your just another mixed race chick.. some of whom are supper hot.

• Well they consider themselves black, so I usually just say they're black.
    Or mocha.

• It's Life, Wake Up, Survive, Die.

• Because you hang around a bunch of racists lol.

• No not all the time.

• Because they're racist.

• That's sad that such a question has to be asked

What Girls Said 9

• Some do and some don't. Only immature people actually consider this white and black race crap instead of seeing you as a human being. There is only one race and that is the human race. Yes, we have different nationalities of people. I'm light skin as well. But I have far more different nationalities that my close friend nicked named me 'half the world' because I literally am made up with that many different people. Plus its so hard to list them all. Some people are just jealous of you for whatever reasons. Its colorism due to how we as society have been conditioned since the slavery movement. And a few decades before our supposed 1st president. Heck. People never even knew that their were even 5 'black' presidents before George Washington. Overall its people's attitudes and how they carry themselves. Its more likely that your friends carry on with a ghetto mentality then a mentality of a civilize adult than supposed skin color. But racism is still everywhere around the world. People just dislike you no matter who you are, and have no problem selling out their own nationality of people. They say blood is thicker than water, but sadly your own family will sell you out faster than those you meet at the streets.

• I think that when SOME white people see light skinned or mixed black people they assume you're better or more educated than fully black people. Because you have a skin tone that is closer to theirs.
    It's a racist way of thinking, but I believe some people are like that.
    Unfortunately this doesn't happen only in countries where whites are the majority.

• I'm purely caucasian and not dark (compared to mixed people) yet I'm pretty sure I'm not considered white so yeah I think they don't consider mixed people white...

• I don't assume anything about anyone unless they a) tell me b) demonstrate with their behavior. Madam unfortunately you are the victim of racism namely idealization.

• Why? Because race makes people in the US do and think really weird things.

• I see people who look black as black lol

• white= Caucasian
    light skin= Mixed (not necessarily black +white)
    black= just black

• I'm half white, half black. They definitely consider me black. It's so funny, because when I go to my black side country they consider me white and remind me I'm white sometimes and it pisses me off. When I told them they call me black in this country, they were all laughing and asking why because I'm not black...

When they describe me, they use "black girl" in the description.
    I don't know why you'd think they think any different really? Like literally 50% white people are considered more black than white, so why would a light skin girl be seen as anything else?

Maybe you're like an uncle Tom, they're always treated a bit better. And honestly, this light skin thing, the way you talk about it, it makes me more sure you are an uncle Tom... or Aunt haha.

• I find that black people treat light skinned people differently. They will either hold them up as being gods or be jealous of them. A lot of black women I know love to show off their mixed grand kids.

Thats cause white people do it. duh

Are white people that soul-less. Most of you lack empathy and are spawns of satan. You have no sympathy for others but yet when tragedy strikes in your community, you cry asking why, Have you forgot about slavery and the psychological affects?

Get off the cross. You are not a victim... lol. Now I am going to mute this question because I am bored with you. So go cry to someone else. And if you dont want to be like white people... stop with all the weave.