What type of sport bikes is good for a beginner?

I never ride a motorcycle before, but planning to get my motorcycle license.

Most Helpful Guy

• SV650s are very popular for beginners, I had one as my first. Don't go for a GSXR or similar right away, you won't be able to handle it if something goes wrong.

The Ninja 250 is very popular but I can guarantee you'll get bored of how small and slow it is in no time. I think for your first proper bike, 500cc is a bare minimum.

Go to a good dealership and sit on a bunch of bikes! You have to find it comfortable, too! I loved my SV on the highway but for starting and stopping in city traffic, the riding position was way too uncomfortable.

Most Helpful Girl

• Ideally you should practice on a pitbike on a big piece of land, you'd kill yourself on a sports bike. Just get use to changing gears, as pitbikes are basically the same but just more sensitive when you accelerate.

Don't go out and buy a brand spanking new bike. You'll drop it so many times, you'd lose count. My first bike was a 2007 gpx250. So aim for anything like a 250-300cc. A good sports bike is the Kawasaki ninjas.

The only issue is that when you're use to a 250/300 you'd want more power and start to venture off looking for something with higher cc's.. Then get a 600cc.

I was actually going to tag you lol but you beat me to it 😛

• 29d

Haha yeah the track is roughly 10 minutes away from me

• 25d

Thanks for MH

What Guys Said 10

• start with something small for your first bike. My first was a Yamaha RZ 350 https://i.ytimg.com/vi/alIMvAVe96k/hqdefault.jpg

This was a FANTASTIC first bike. So what ever newer bikes of similar size would probably be good.

• 1|0
  • I agree that a smaller, light weight bike is the way to go to start. Easier to maneuver. Low horsepower as well. Try several out to find one that fits. Do not get a crotch rocket to start... go with a cruising bike to start in my opinion. Oh and do not forget to sign your organ donor card.

• Buy an old ninja 250 if you aren't 100% committed. If you are, then I recommend a Yamaha R6 with frame sliders or a kawasaki, zx6 both are rather reliable however I prefer Ducati, my first was a Monster 750 and now I ride a 2005 999 along with an 84 Harley FXR custom.

• 29d

what makes you want a bike?

• 29d

Looks fun and I always been a tough girl.

• 29d

riding a bike doesn't require toughness and if you are doing it for the image ( like many people do) you're doing it for the wrong reason and either liable to waste money, kill yourself, or both. It does however require a strong degree of emotional maturity to not get yourself in situations that are more dangerous than necessary. Testosterone does this lol, so women are better at avoiding this however without challenging yourself and learning from mistakes you won't get much better, hence not many female aggressive riders due to playing it safe. It's ok to not learn to race and what not, however the same skills of quick stable turning, braking and acceleration are applied to the street in extreme situations that other drivers may put you in so I still advise you learn the advanced techniques if you want to be safe and taken seriously by those who really know how to ride, otherwise you'll just be a basic "girl rider" who rides like shit and takes lots of pictures. Don't be that girl :)

• A 300 cc bike or less

• I don't know much about sport bikes, but I like the mental image of you sitting astride one...

• Rent a normal one first and get used to it, then you know what you capable of handling.

• A scooter or 250-300cc motorcycle.

The CBR 300cc is decent.

• probably a 250cc. doesn't have too much power and its a good way too learn to ride

Thanks, not want my first motorcycle to have much power

no problem. ride safe and dont so crazy shit when you're riding.. i ride too and its not worth getting injured or killed

• Why don't you use a scooter if you are a beginner?

What Girls Said 0