Why do adults like to act that teenagers have no stress?

i've always wondered. whenever i'm stressed my parents / adults always seem to think that its invalid or that i'm not stressed at all. like just because i don't stress as much / as often as they do does not mean that it's invalid.

Most Helpful Guy

• Because we were teenagers once and we remember what you stressed about and most of it was plain dumb that you could easily fix or blew out of proportion. When you become an adult and start having real responsibilities then you'll see what real stress is like haha.

It wasn't plain dumb or easy to fix. There just were other mechanisms for social status, courtship, etc... (things that are still very important to adults) and you had fewer resources and experience to work with.

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 13

• Because people always like to think they have it the hardest. As an adult I have responsibilities, work and important decisions to make but overall it feels less stressful than my teenage years. Then again I'm doing well now, while I wasn't a popular kid with rich parents, so your mileage may vary.

• Because it is invalid.
    When you start getting stressed over paying bills, putting food on the table etc than come talk.
    Rn your stress is very minimal.

Yeah like imagine all the stress she feels now and then imagine when the stress of living in the real world is heaped upon her when she moves out of the hotel of mom and dad.

@Righttobeararms83 right! If you can't handle school, boys and a little job. What's gonna happen when you have a real job, bills and children to take care of and look after.
      But of course she won't realize that till she gets older. They never do lol

• Probably because they are trying to toughen you up and fear that because you have trouble dealing with stress of living how will you cope in the real world where life is harder and you have to take care of yourself. The fact thst so people live at home with their parents until they are nearly 30 is really disturbing for myself as a father.

yeah im glad my son didn't turn out like this

@wankiam I hope my son will too. Leaving home young was the making of me.

questions like this should come with an askhole alert so we dont need to waste time on them ;)

• Because your stress is 1) mostly self-made due to peer pressure / bullying and 2) easily solvable if you don't put artificial constraints on the solution. That said, kids do have more legitimate stress now than when I was young.

• your stress pales into insignificance when compared to the stresses that they must face but they won't pass them onto you so you dont realize just how hard it can be to be an adult

• It isn't invalid, but the stress of an adult is usually from much more serious stuff than who likes who, someone making fun of them, or not getting to go somewhere with your friends. It gets so much worse and more serious when you are an adult.
    Yours is still valid, just not as much as an adults.

• Now that I'm older I have more perspective on life. Many things repeat themselves in life so you just kind of mellow out and get used to them - "Oh, this thing again..." So to us we see young people making huge dramas out of stuff that we got totally used to ages ago. And we think you guys are crazy. And we're also secretly laughing inside.

• You'll see when you get older lol

• they do have stress and a ton of it
    honestly im less stressed out of school then in school
    i don't forget school hated it

• Because you have a lot less stress than we do.

• because they don't in the grand scheme of things.

• Because to an adult, teenager stress, is nothing

• probably cuz it's stress over trivial b. s. like what clothes to wear, silly gossip, boyfriend issues or whatever.

you don't know stress until you're out on your own and have to worry about a job and bills to pay. right now you have mommy and daddy taking care of all that for you.

What Girls Said 5

• Definitely not invalid. I think parents sometimes get so caught up in their own world, they forget what it's like to be young.

• Teenage stress is nothing compared to the stress of adults. I'm sorry sweetie but you're stress is kind of invalid.

• Because adults have a different type of stress and don't remember how it was being a teenager.

• It's just because younger peoples stresses aren't stuff like "gotta do this thing or we won't have a roof over our head" or "gotta make sure my kids eat today" and always taking care of others not yourself. Also, I think older people can deal with things better because they've had more practice. See how some younger people will be extremely affected if somebody doesn't like them or talks about them, whereas most older people don't care about that stuff and do what the fuck they want and don't care about what others talk about. It's just part of life really. They are small problems, they just don't feel small, but later on you will look back and think they were small.

But, obviously I remember being young, and I know how those things feel. I hope I won't make my kid feel it's insignificant because I remember how much all these "small" things can get to somebody and build up. But honestly, I didn't have the best childhood/teen years, but I still wish I had those problems instead of my adult problems.

• because you don't know what legit stress is until you become a adult. theirs a diffence between having a choice and not having a choice like bills. you can't just walk a way from that stress. but if you're stressing a guy you can. you can throw out bad friends but you can't quit your job. certain stress for adults never go away and get 100 x worse over time younger adults tend to stress over the stupidest shit no offense we've all been there and we look at it like wow I was over dramatic looking back and now they feel the teen is being over dramatic and actually have no clue what stress is.

or how could you possibly be stressed when you can have everything handed to you, Phone bill paid, house hold paid, food paid, people who become adults often don't even have time to stress because we're too busy taking care of everything we don't even have a second.