Should the Hebrew Bible/Old Testament be banned?

It's clear Moses' "divine" law isn't divine because nobody ever gets struck dead by the "all-powerful" Yahweh for violating it. So should we just ban that so we stop blaspheming whatever deities might exist?

By "ban it" I mean make it an artifact and not teach it as the word of God.

Most Helpful Girl

• you are thinking too much. That's why you'll stay as dumb as you are now. What do you think does it mean? literally what it says? think a bit further and you'll get it, it won't make any difference whether it gets banned or not because people will believe what they want to believe, you're just fed up with the bible and want to take you anger out

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm not religious, but I think you'll like my answer.

In the Bible, the laws of the OT are supposed to be null and void ever since Jesus' death on the cross. Christians are not to live their lives under The Old Testament Law or else they are 'cursed'. Galatians 3:10. You can refer to some more verses here that detail how the OT is not to be and cannot be followed by modern Christians who also 'walk with the spirit': Galatians 3:13, Galatians 5:1 & 5:18.

You are right, it should not be taught in the sense that it is the word of Yahweh, as according to one of the verses I provided, following and making others follow the old law are nullifying the cross of Christ and denying his death on the cross - effectively burdening people "again by the yoke of slavery".

What Girls Said 1

• What difference does it make to you personally if it's being taught or not?

Jesus says he is "Before Abraham was I Am." If Jesus is therefore God and the Hebrew Bible is divine, then Jesus wrote this----> www.biblegateway.com/.../

Since Jesus most certainly didn't write that, the Old Testament is an artifact and not the word of God. Therefore, blasphemy. Solomon has some good writings.

Jesus is timeless as God is, in his divine nature, as Word of God. Though, those texts were written by people who were enlightened by God, not by Jesus. We have to read them taking into account the context into which they were written, the book and the chapter each verse belongs to, the era, the people to whom they were destined. The old testament is incomplete without the new testament. Back then Jews believed only they were the sons of God. They were the chosen ones of God. They had to fight hard to keep their land. And while they couldn't afford to show mercy to neighbouring countries, this verse suggests them to show mercy to the countries farther away from them, by giving them a chance to surrender, when they are at war. Back then the times were brutal and what the book suggested was an improvement.

What Guys Said 4

• Banned? I don't like to ban books. But the Bible, the Quran and the Tenakhe certainly aren't fit for worship.
    Jefferson understood it and rewrote the Bible to his idea: http://sacred-texts.com/bib/jb/index.htm

• I'm in favor of banning both the Old and New Testament because some of the stories in there are traumatizing (rape, incest, genocide). I also don't like kids getting influenced by the sexism that's all throughout the bible.

A person, much more a child, can't understand on his own what's going on in the bible without someone knowledgeable explaining it to them, or without reading a book about it. Of course some chapters or books are better to be read in an older age

@SirenDep I have read the bible, more thoroughly than most Christians and I understand it. Even if the kids skip past the rape and genocide parts they're still gonna get their heads filled with false science.

• God, I wish we could.

• The reason no one is simply struck dead for sinning against God is because Jesus died for our sins. Once He did that, there was no longer any need for sacrifices, we can just ask for forgiveness.