Was I ripped off?

I babysit today from 4:45 to 1:15. The parents were supposed to be home at 12 but they texted me at 12:10 telling me their train was delayed and they wouldn't be home for an hour. I get paid by two other families ($12 an hour and $15 dollars an hour). My friend also works for this family and she said she gets paid 15 an hour for them. Well i was there 8 and a half hours plus one hour of that was overtime and I got paid $10.60 an hour ($90 total). I am kind of upset because although we never established a price, I feel ripped off. I was babysitting for two kids, ages 5 and 11. It's not like I just sat around all night either. I was working non stop. Thoughts?

Most Helpful Guy

• You never established a price and that was on you. Don't let that happen again. Baby sitter wages varies by the way. Yours is in the higher end.

Most Helpful Girl

• Technically, you weren't ripped off. You didn't agree to a rate in advance which means you are subject to whatever they choose to give you after unless they answered an ad or something and then you could have referred to that, but im guessing you were uncomfortable bringing that up to them. Next time, tell them ahead of time what your rate is, when they ask you to babysit. Then they have a choice to accept your rate or go to someone else. But i can see how you would feel the way you do. Remember though, you are trying to make money, effectively running your own small business. Always address the money expectations clearly.

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 2

• If you want stable pay get it in writing

• Honestly, babysitters now want WAY too much. When I did it I was happy with $5/hour... ecstatic if I got $10/hour.

$15/hour is more than most adults make at their job if it's minimum wage... if I had to pay a kid $15/hour to babysit my kids I would literally NEVER be able to afford a night out.
    Because that IS more than I myself earn per hour.

Also, I could hire a certified nanny for that price.