One when one bad memory pops up, all of them pop up. how to combat this?

What Girls Said 2

• What would happen if you made those bad memories into neutral ones? I had so many bad memories from my past. If you tell them to people enough, it just becomes a fact and not a nightmare. I've also made peace with the situations and forgiven the people who hurt me. When I tell the story of my past now, it is almost emotionless for me. It's like I'm just stating facts.

• What has helped me and will continue to help me is music, I listen to many different meaningful song and it brings me comfort and safety. One such example is the last night by skillet, another song is cleaning out my closet by eminem.

What Guys Said 3

• focus on your breath and close your eyes

• Click the delete button.

• It is what is known as a "downward spiral" or a "chain reaction." These memories are likely triggers by negative emotions such as fear or sadness, and the emotions often triggered by distorted thoughts. Start by analyzing your thoughts as the memories come popping up. Are they thoughts like "I am worthless" or "I am in danger"? If so you need to concentrate on realizing that this is distorted thinking and remind yourself of that. Focus on happy memories, reminding yourself that life is not all bad. Learn to deal with negative thoughts, see the massive exaggeration they bring.

If you can't do it on your own after a while look into cognitive behavioral therapy.